Anybody wanna make $50,000 a year?

Real Life Events.

Go off topic and I will break you!

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Anybody wanna make $50,000 a year?

Postby Narrock » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:31 pm

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/why-costc ... 04857.html

Not bad for retail. Damn! They do work their asses off though.
“The more I study science the more I believe in God.” -- Albert Einstein
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Re: Anybody wanna make $50,000 a year?

Postby brinstar » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:01 am

i love costco, there's one in omaha and i'm up there often enough so that i never have to make a special trip

did you see they just announced they'll be closed on thanksgiving so employees can spend the day with their families? now that is how you run a business
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Zanchief » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:08 am

I don't know how prevalent Costco's are in the US, but there are 4 within 50 kilometers of my house, and each one is a zoo at all hours of the day. I rarely buy electronics anywhere else anymore because of their excellent return policy.

Example. I bought a kids bike 2 years ago and it never really worked properly. One day I tell the wife to toss it because it's taking up space in the garage. She brings it back to Costco without a receipt and tells them it's a piece of junk and they give us our money back. It's great if you can stomach the crowds. It's an interesting hiring practice and very true. I think anyone who works with many other people will tell you the same, one great employee is easily worth three bad to average ones.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Narrock » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:37 pm

Yeah Costco is a great company, no doubt, but the lines and rude shoppers (it is literally a zoo) is why we discontinued our membership there and opted instead for Sam's Club, which has literally the same products and I've never waited in line more than 3 minutes or so. Also, Sam's Club has the friendliest and most efficient Pharmacy I've ever
dealt with, and my wife loves her optometrist there.

However, if I were looking for a job, I'd go with Costco, not Sam's.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby brinstar » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:38 pm

sam's club treats their employees like shit

that alone makes the costco crowds well worth my time and business

end of story
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Drem » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:01 am

Cash & Carry 4 lyfe
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tossica » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:41 am

All of my TVs are organically grown from locally sourced LEDs.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Gypsiyee » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:48 am

brinstar wrote:sam's club treats their employees like shit

that alone makes the costco crowds well worth my time and business

end of story

This.

This is also a big reason that for groceries, I go to Publix. Pretty sure Publix is just a southern thing, but it's worth the extra little bit of money you spend for the top notch customer service and the way they treat their employees. Definite noticeable difference in pride of workmanship as a result.
"I think you may be confusing government running amok with government doing stuff you don't like. See, you're in the minority now. It's supposed to taste like a shit taco." - Jon Stewart
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Jay » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:20 am

I can't deny the savings and think Costco is a great company but I've always had a thing about supporting local grocers even if they are pricier.

Costco has a great business plan though and part of the reason they are so successful and can afford to pay those kinds of wages is because their procedures are dialed in so tightly. Fun fact, they record the lowest amount of inventory loss of any large company nationwide.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:39 am

their worker productivity ratings are off the charts compared to sam's schlub too, and the employee turnover is extremely low

it really blows a giant hole in the whole "boo hoo we can't afford to pay our workers a living wage" song and dance the walton pigs like to squeal
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Jay » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:17 am

I problem in the case for Walmart is you're asking for a lateral movement. You want higher wages which means your net earning has to increase in order for you to meet the wage increase. That boils down to taking risks, and dealing with the hell of upending your current working business model and making a new economically friendly one and expecting to make no more money from it. Walmart themselves has 0 incentive despite how great it would be for our economy. Costco began with a good infrastructure and fine tuned it over time. All their transitions to incorporate change have been small. The saying goes, "Everyone wants change, no one wants transition."
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Kaemon » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:43 am

As a consumer Costco for life. My uncle returned his entire patio set he had for over 7 years because the glass on the table broke and they exchanged it for him no questions asked. You don't need a receipt for exchanges because your membership shows the purchase history. 7 yrs though...wow.

Would love to work for that company, but I can't take the hit in salary. It would be a great place to go to when my body can no longer take the abuse a restaurant dishes out.
Adivina wrote:We are the most bipolar acting community, bunch of manics with the mood swings on here.
Kaemon
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Narrock » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:06 am

Kaemon wrote:As a consumer Costco for life. My uncle returned his entire patio set he had for over 7 years because the glass on the table broke and they exchanged it for him no questions asked. You don't need a receipt for exchanges because your membership shows the purchase history. 7 yrs though...wow.

Would love to work for that company, but I can't take the hit in salary. It would be a great place to go to when my body can no longer take the abuse a restaurant dishes out.

$50,000/year would only work in Northern California if you have a spouse who also makes at least that much.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Drem » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:58 pm

oh okay
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Return to Current Affairs