2016 elections.

Real Life Events.

Go off topic and I will break you!

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Re: 2016 elections.

Postby Drem » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:17 pm

I guarantee all of those 10 year olds that didn't see it in 1999 saw it in high school or in college later on. Office Space, PCU, Zoolander, Half Baked, Big Lebowski, and Supertroopers were the ultimate stoner movies. I can't think of anyone that hasn't seen Office Space. It's Mike Judge lol. People still talk about Beavis & Butthead

Anyways, politics and stuff. I'm sure this is old news but it's all I think of when I watch him talk

Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Harrison » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:35 pm

Every single person I know has seen Office Space.

What isolated bubble are you in? lol
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Lyion » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:45 am

Drem wrote:I guarantee all of those 10 year olds that didn't see it in 1999 saw it in high school or in college later on. Office Space, PCU, Zoolander, Half Baked, Big Lebowski, and Supertroopers were the ultimate stoner movies. I can't think of anyone that hasn't seen Office Space. It's Mike Judge lol. People still talk about Beavis & Butthead

Interesting. I assumed it was mostly big for older people <Arlos, Toss, and my age>. I stand corrected.

Bernie should run it. ;) He needs to hit hard if he actually wants to win.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby brinstar » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:24 am

i didn't see office space until way later

bernie is trying pretty hard to avoid running a negative campaign but it's getting harder as people are forced to take him more seriously

fortunately he doesn't have to make up stuff to hit hillary with, in particular her coziness with wall street
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Tossica » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:37 am

Lyion wrote: older people <Arlos, Toss, and my age>.

Speak for yourself, old man.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby brinstar » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:34 pm

this is fuckin madness

trump running away with the game and hillary pulling out all the dirty tricks, bush didn't even last until march
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Arlos » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:49 pm

Watching Trump speak reminds me of this glorious mashup from 1992:

Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Zanchief » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:37 am

From the get go, I always figured he was un-electable. I feel I may have been overestimating the voting public.

One thing that really scares me is this may usher in a new era of celebrity politics. The voting public may be so heavily swayed by Trumps supposed celebrity status that we may start to see others following suit, which could just lead to even more unqualified candidates. Say what you will about Clinton, she is very qualified for the job.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Menelvir » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:30 pm

None of the choices interest me, and the system seems as polarized and ineffectual as it was when I was first able to comprehend it.

I remain completely apathetic with respect to the (national-level) political machinations of the country in which I live.
"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." - The Dalai Lama
Menelvir
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Arlos » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:18 pm

In news that shocks exactly no one, today Trump refused to distance himself from David Duke, the KKK, or endorsements by white supremacists. Said he didn't know who David Duke was, though he himself mentioned him in a speech in the past and knew who he was then. Has to know who the KKK is, though, and wouldn't distance himself from them, either.

Well, OK, once the massive shitstorm from the media, Cruz, Rubio, the GOP in general, and the Democrats of course, blew up in his face he said he disavows them. Yeah, we believe you, Donald. Way to be in front of the issue...
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Zanchief » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:54 pm

The democrats need to say nothing when Trump does these things. Save it. They gotta pick this guy. He's not electable.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby brinstar » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:31 am

nuclear launch detected

hoooooooooooooly shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Jay » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:42 am

Zanchief wrote:The democrats need to say nothing when Trump does these things. Save it. They gotta pick this guy. He's not electable.

Oh Chief...you have way too high an opinion of Americans. Sure we seem fairly reasonable on the internet, but remember many of our middle American voters don't know how to use the Internet but can make it to the polls. Clinton or Trump, we're fucked. I want to be wrong but I'm pretty certain Bernie won't make it.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Zanchief » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:09 pm

You guys need to sell yourself on Clinton already. It's not that hard to do.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby brinstar » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:39 am

fuck that shit une mille fois

if bernie doesn't get the nomination i'm either writing him in or voting green (again), and at LEAST 20% of the democratic base feels the same

national polls show him beating every single GOP candidate by 5-15 points, while those same polls show hillary losing to everyone but trump (whom she beats by 1%), so it's really the dems' race to lose

it's kind of a unique twist but the way i see it both parties are facing existential crises - if the DNC forces hillary down our throats it'll split the dems in half and hand the white house over to the the orange butthole-mouth potato-face, and if the GOP steps away from drumpf and says nope we're going with an establishment candidate it'll shatter the rightwing coalition. if BOTH those happen i would bet we'd see independent campaigns crop up at the last minute from bloomberg, possibly drumpf, maybe even bernie - leading to complete chaos in november

the only REAL difference between the two parties' crises is that bernie has to come from behind to be a threat, whereas drumpf is in the clown car's driver's seat
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Jay » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:18 pm

Hillary is appropriate to run the system how it is. The thing is, fuck the system how it is. If Bernie's not in I just won't vote. If Trump wins, America deserves whatever happens. Thankfully it won't affect me too much.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Jay » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:20 pm

Also Ted Cruz looks like a serial killer who is currently wearing his last victim's skin.

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Drem » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:48 pm

I don't get this mentality where if Bernie doesn't get the nom, everyone throws their vote away

You motherfuckers want Trump to win?
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Jay » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:39 pm

Drem wrote:I don't get this mentality where if Bernie doesn't get the nom, everyone throws their vote away

You motherfuckers want Trump to win?

The mentality is Hillary is equally as bad, just in different ways. Fuck em both.

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Arlos » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:51 pm

There is no way Hillary is anywhere near as bad as Trump. Or Cruz. Not that it is going to matter, given that I am in California and we're as solid a blue lock as there is, but if Hillary's the nominee, I'll vote for her. Looking at that ISideWith site, I agree like 98% with Bernie, and like 91% with Hillary. Trump is at like 22% or something. So yeah, I vastly prefer Bernie, but between Hillary and Trump? That's a no brainer.
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Drem » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:56 pm

Seriously.

Giving Trump the presidency is like handing the country to a fuckin high school football jock. Not voting against him, no matter who the Dem nom ends up being, is fucking insane to me. Throwing your vote away on fringe parties, or not voting at all (my track record), will help him win

I actually plan for the first time in my life to vote for a president. It matters this time. Or maybe it doesn't, but it feels important this time. Really important. It's really telling of the massive, staggering divide in ideologies in our country

Clinton might not be very likeable either, to those that seem to voice incredibly strong opinions about her, but she is at least a politician that can at least do the actual job. I don't feel that way about Trump. Our country will go bankrupt like all of his investments and we will be an even bigger joke on the international stage than we already are
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:36 pm

in my view if you're voting against someone you can't stand - rather than for someone you believe in - you're already throwing your vote away. that's why i proudly voted green in 08 and 12

there's this fretful narrative from longtime dems that says "you have to vote blue no matter what because if you don't then red wins and we can't have that!!!" but it's bullshit to expect us berniecrats to just fall in line and prop up the centrist once again, because it would completely invalidate and nullify all our totally legitimate complaints about HRC and about the party itself (this superdelegate nonsense has to fucking stop). capitulating and selling out would mean the party - which we only showed up at because bernie represented something different - wouldn't change at all, and would simply continue taking bigger and bigger payoffs from big oil and big pharma and wall street and continue its slow march to the right. fuck all that noise, i won't be a part of it

establishment dems can't keep giving the finger to the progressive wing and assume there won't come a day that we give it right back. that day might finally arrive this year. congrats DNC, you broke your own party in half, time to feel the consequences
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Arlos » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:37 pm

Good article that explains the rise of Donald Trump: http://www.vox.com/2016/3/1/11127424/tr ... itarianism

Basically, a certain segment of the population holds authoritarian views, and their response to external threats, or societal changes they don't like, is to seek out an authoritarian strong man type who promises to protect them from what they are afraid of. Basically, it's the same sort of political impulse that gave rise to the Nazi party in Germany. External threats, internal pressures, societal changes that are upsetting the status quo and scaring people who liked the old status quo, and so they looked for a "strong" leader who plays to their fears and gives them simple answers as to how he'll fix them.

The biggest problem isn't Trump, ultimately, it's that big block of people who WANT a dictatorial type of leader. Trump is the symptom, rather than the cause.

And yes, I'm a progressive, but like I said, much as there are things I don't like about Hillary, there's far more she does and stands for than ANY GOP candidate. I think Trump as president would be an absolute disaster.
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Reynaldo » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:49 am

I don't think any candidate as president would be a disaster. If a Hillary wins the Republican majority congress will still block most everything they can just like now.

If Trump wins, they'll still block his batshit crazy stuff but probably pass more of the moderate right wing things. It's not like he's going to get to go all bananas.

My prediction is no matter who wins it's basically a 4 year placeholder to get some better candidates running in 2020. No way either of these clowns wins 2 terms.
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Zanchief » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:45 am

brinstar wrote:and would simply continue taking bigger and bigger payoffs from big oil and big pharma and wall street and continue its slow march to the right. fuck all that noise, i won't be a part of it

I'm curious if you have any proof that Hillary specifically is taking payoffs from corporations.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs