2020 elections superthread

Postby brinstar » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:07 am

it's friday february 22 2019 and as of right now here's my faves:

1. marianne williamson!
2. bernie sanders
3. pete buttigieg
4. elizabeth warren
5. kamala harris, cory booker, john delaney
6. everyone else that i either dgaf about or don't know anything about, though that could change (ojeda, castro, yang, gillibrand, brown)

here's the shitlist:
1. tulsi gabbard
2. amy klobuchar

these tools better just stay the fuck out:
1. howard fucking schultz
2. joe fucking biden
3. michael motherfucking bloomberg
4. literally any other celebrity who isn't danny devito or killer mike or rob delaney

anyway, here's my hot prediction: harris continues to cherrypick campaign staffers from the clinton 2016 campaign and history starts to repeat itself with major donors and DNC heavyweights falling into formation behind her. however, sanders is already the candidate to beat given his top-shelf name recognition and 40+ years of consistent messaging. due to a) not nearly as many superdelegates to lean on the scales, b) the growing cloud over kamala's record as CA attorney general (locking up parents of truant kids, wtf), and c) constant efforts made to shore up the relative weaknesses from his 2016 campaign (race relations, foreign policy), sanders looks poised to run away with it. sensing a coup, biden jumps in to try and save the day and gets #metoo'd fuckin immediately. the rest of the field drops out one by one, booker comes in third, and in the final delegate count bernie tops harris by a 2-to-1 ratio. sanders picks nina turner as a running mate.

schultz and/or bloomberg jump in on an independent bid. harris voters defect. trump wins a second term. the world fucking ends.
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Re: 2020 elections superthread

Postby Arlos » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:48 am

Bloomberg has already announced he's not running.

Also, what about Jay Inslee?
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby brinstar » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:16 pm

i like inslee

just got back from the sanders rally in council bluffs IA though, and the man is even sharper now than he was four years ago when i saw him speak in the exact same auditorium

barring any DNC fuckery he will absolutely win the nom
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Arlos » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:33 pm

I do worry about his electability in a general election, to be honest. Remember that in the midterms, very few of the Bernie-backed candidates won in purple districts, compared to a fair number of the moderate candidates. Plus, if there's any election where it's a negative to be an old white guy, it's this one. Not to mention, he's not anywhere as unique among the field as he was last time, either. A lot of the candidates have a similar message, on top of being a fresh face. At least I think/hope the DNC learned its lesson from last time, and there'll be no similar fuckery this time, even if Biden ends up running. I do like Inslee quite a bit myself also, but I mainly just want WHOEVER it is to beat The Orange Infant. The DNC could literally nominate a flaming bag of dog turds, and I'd vote for that over Trump.
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby leah » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:30 pm

someone tell me about this pete buttigieg guy. i heard he had a really successful town hall and i'm curious about who he is and what he's about, but just want cliffs notes, hehe.
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby 10sun » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:11 pm

Didn't Beto O'Rourke say something the other day?
This is going to be a shit show :(
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby brinstar » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:05 pm

Arlos wrote:I do worry about his electability in a general election, to be honest. Remember that in the midterms, very few of the Bernie-backed candidates won in purple districts, compared to a fair number of the moderate candidates. Plus, if there's any election where it's a negative to be an old white guy, it's this one. Not to mention, he's not anywhere as unique among the field as he was last time, either. A lot of the candidates have a similar message, on top of being a fresh face. At least I think/hope the DNC learned its lesson from last time, and there'll be no similar fuckery this time, even if Biden ends up running. I do like Inslee quite a bit myself also, but I mainly just want WHOEVER it is to beat The Orange Infant. The DNC could literally nominate a flaming bag of dog turds, and I'd vote for that over Drumpf.

he'll be fine as long as dumbass liberals don't fuck it up again

edit:

Arlos wrote:Not to mention, he's not anywhere as unique among the field as he was last time, either. A lot of the candidates have a similar message, on top of being a fresh face.

wtf jesus christ where do you think they got it from? he's been yelling about the same things for 40 goddamn years now, and once he got some national spotlight his message spread like wildfire. now all these "oh i've evolved on X Y Z issue" ass imitators are trying to hitch a ride because they're a bunch of opportunist wind socks? hard pass, my dude is the WIND. now act like you give a shit about policy and support the only real choice for once
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Narrock » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:08 am

This thread is bringing the serious LMFAO, coupled with SMH. I thought I'd pop in after a couple years just to see what IGNORANT political nonsense I'd run into, and boy... you guys certainly don't disappoint. I had the feeling that 99% of you don't even possess the ability to think beyond the box, to break out of towing-the-political-line, to think for yourselves... In short, your comments are simply astonishing, still 20 years later. Proves to me that you truly don't know what's going on and you're LOCKED in to a narrow mind set. I'd like to say Good luck libturds, but you're gonna need a LOT more than luck. EVERYBODY with a BRAIN knows that Trump has done an AMAZING job as president since he's been inaugurated. He's showing us DAILY what a useless, shitty, ineffective, embarrassing WORM Oshitstain was as "president." Can you motherfuckers for ONCE in your life OPEN YOUR GODDAMNED EYES... Or, is that too much to ask for? If you want to LEARN something... to actually LEARN and SEE what Trump has done as president, here's a link for you. You won't hear about it on CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, BBC, HuffPo, NY Times, WaPo, or any other such propaganda "news" sources, because those ignorant sources want to keep you in the dark, and from what I see here... mission accomplished. Aside from the political arena, I hope all of you are happy and healthy and things are going well for you and your families. :wink:

http://www.magapill.com Sorry, but Trump has reelection in 2020 in the bag. If Bernie ends up being the nominee he will get walloped even bigger than Hillary did. :hiphop:
“The more I study science the more I believe in God.” -- Albert Einstein
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby brinstar » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:38 pm

lol fuck off clown
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Arlos » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:11 pm

leah wrote:someone tell me about this pete buttigieg guy. i heard he had a really successful town hall and i'm curious about who he is and what he's about, but just want cliffs notes, hehe.

He's fluent in multiple languages, was a Rhodes Scholar, graduated from Harvard, and has really kind of distinguished himself in the field right now. He hasn't been too wonkish, he hasn't gone negative, he's had thoughtful comments on several policy positions, and temperamentally has basically been the anti-Trump. I like him quite a bit, actually.
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby brinstar » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:18 pm

harris downgraded to shitlist, fuckin cop
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby leah » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:43 am

Arlos wrote:
leah wrote:someone tell me about this pete buttigieg guy. i heard he had a really successful town hall and i'm curious about who he is and what he's about, but just want cliffs notes, hehe.

He's fluent in multiple languages, was a Rhodes Scholar, graduated from Harvard, and has really kind of distinguished himself in the field right now. He hasn't been too wonkish, he hasn't gone negative, he's had thoughtful comments on several policy positions, and temperamentally has basically been the anti-Trump. I like him quite a bit, actually.

everything i see about him on twitter, in the news, etc., makes me like him more and more. although real talk, do we think an openly gay man has a shot in hell? i know that's pretty cynical of me, but, well, after the past couple of years....

anyway i think he's at the top of my heap; warren and bernie round out the top three.
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby brinstar » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:54 pm

brinstar wrote:sensing a coup, biden jumps in to try and save the day and gets #metoo'd fuckin immediately.

hmm yep looks like it's already happening lmao
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Arlos » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:53 pm

Mayor Pete interview on Bill Maher:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJCwUwziRvY
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby leah » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:51 am

lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby brinstar » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:55 pm

joe biden can eat shit as far as i'm concerned

i will vote third party before i vote biden 2020
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby brinstar » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:20 pm

Arlos wrote:Mayor Pete interview on Bill Maher:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJCwUwziRvY

fuck bill maher

also biden accuser count is now up to 4
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Naethyn » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:23 am

hi
Maeya wrote:And then your head just aches from having your hair pulled so tight for so long...
Naethyn
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby leah » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:20 am

O HELLO.

p.s. i have decided to declare for Warren :v:
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby brinstar » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:39 pm

it's 8/6 and i'm updating my preference list

1. sanders by a white unkempt hair
2. warren
3. gravel
4. williamson
5. almost everyone else
dead last. biden

granted we've still got 15 grueling months to go but barring any major shakeups or scandal it's going to come down to sanders, warren, biden, and maybe harris or buttigieg. the rest of the clowns are just wasting time and money, and cluttering up the debate stage.

beto is polling < 5% despite everyone's attempt to make him a Thing. what he needs to do is drop out IMMEDIATELY and run against john cornyn while he's got national spotlight. if he did that he'd run that racist old piece of shit right out of office. he won't, though, he'll just waste more time and money and cornyn will waltz back in for another round of cruelty and obstruction and beto will get a fuckin book deal

also kevin i swear to fucking god if you slouch your way in here with one more ounce of that "oh i like bernie i'm just not sure he's electable" horseshit i'm gonna reach through the internet and give you a swirlie. he has polled higher against trump than any other presidential candidate since early 2016, and you know it - so vote like the progressive you say you are and he'll be just fine
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Arlos » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:58 am

The issue with Bernie is that he and Warren are occupying the same lane at the moment, and she has the electability advantage of not coming across like your crazy grandpa. I also am VERY big on the fact that she actually comes out with a detailed plan for many policy objectives, rather than just giving mission statements. Don't get me wrong, I like me some Bernie, but if I'm going to pull for a serious Progressive in the primaries, it's going to be Warren over Bernie.

As for the general Democrat field, here are the names I see with an actual chance of getting the nomination at the moment: Biden, Bernie, Warren, Harris, Buttigieg, and that's pretty much it. Beto really improved his profile after the massacre in El Paso, but I think he'd do much better running for the Senate seat in Texas than for President. Much as I may like some of the other candidates, like Inslee, they really have no shot at this point. So, I agree they should probably drop out before too much longer, and let the serious candidates have actual debates where they get to discuss things in depth, rather than needing to have 2 minute response times because there's 837 people on stage. In the end, I still think that it's likely going to be a Biden/Warren or Biden/Harris ticket when it comes down to it. (though a Warren/Buttigieg ticket wouldn't surprise me, I just find it less likely)

To be quite honest, though, I couldn't give a flying FUCK who the Democrats nominate. They could literally nominate John Wayne Gacy, Jeffry Dahmer, or even Cthulhu, and I would vote for them over Trump. Hell, they could nominate the wax statue of Warren Harding that Last Week Tonight bought, and I'd vote for it. While I certainly wouldn't agree with the premise that all Trump supporters are racists, *HE* certainly is, and so anyone who supports him and votes for him does so *knowing* that they're supporting someone who has been openly espousing White Supremacist talking points from the White House. Add in the fact that he literally has no concept of anything besides his personal wants, no matter what the law might be, and I think he's the biggest threat to the United States since Jefferson Davis. He is much more akin to a tinpot dictator like Pinochet or Gadaffi than he is to an actual American President, even ones I couldn't stand like Reagan or Bush Jr. I don't think our constitutional system could survive another 4 years of him in power, so I don't care if I like Biden, Harris, or any other person the Democrats nominate or not. I'll vote for them in the general election, because it's just that important that Trump gets shitcanned.
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby leah » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:51 pm

Arlos wrote:To be quite honest, though, I couldn't give a flying FUCK who the Democrats nominate. They could literally nominate John Wayne Gacy, Jeffry Dahmer, or even Cthulhu, and I would vote for them over Trump. Hell, they could nominate the wax statue of Warren Harding that Last Week Tonight bought, and I'd vote for it.

I don't think our constitutional system could survive another 4 years of him in power, so I don't care if I like Biden, Harris, or any other person the Democrats nominate or not. I'll vote for them in the general election, because it's just that important that Trump gets shitcanned.

i really, really hate it but.... same. literally anyone else 2020. i don't care if it's reinforcing the two-party structure. i don't care if voting for the lesser of two evils is a waste of my voice. i just don't care. we cannot -- CANNOT -- have another four years of this.
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby brinstar » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:19 pm

Arlos wrote:The issue with Bernie is that he and Warren are occupying the same lane at the moment, and she has the electability advantage of not coming across like your crazy grandpa. I also am VERY big on the fact that she actually comes out with a detailed plan for many policy objectives, rather than just giving mission statements. Don't get me wrong, I like me some Bernie, but if I'm going to pull for a serious Progressive in the primaries, it's going to be Warren over Bernie.

haha jesus dude i see you're still huffing those "electability" fumes everyone's trying to sell you

let me ask you, have you actually read any of sanders' "detailed plans for many policy objectives"? how about his sweeping green new deal plan? the one about preserving journalism? massive pro-union proposal? i like liz a lot, but don't you DARE act like she's the only one with detailed plans

more importantly, her achilles heel is the way she always takes trump's bait in the public realm. it makes her look weak, and it will be devastating if she gets the nom and has to debate him on a stage. his base will laugh and jeer and call her "pocahontas" all day long, and the latent misogyny coursing through america's hateful underbelly will bubble up and over again the way it did with HRC

"electability" haha
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Harrison » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:55 am

I don't think there's much reason to argue over Sanders vs Warren.

Both are great choices.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby brinstar » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:35 am

warren is sanders-lite in a lot of ways, but i agree she'd absolutely make a wonderful president. if it's not sanders i sure fuckin hope it's her

just cracks me up that arlos is still riding the chuck todd tom perez "electability" concerntrain
  • sanders has the single highest net favorability score of any presidential candidate (or any politician for that matter)
  • the ideas he's been yelling about for literally 40 years are mostly mainstream now
  • polls going all the way back to 2016 have consistently shown him beating trump by 8-15 points in a head to head matchup
imagine looking at all that and thinking "yeah sure but idk he sounds kinda crankyyyy i'm gonna listen to the people who got it wrong in 2016 and take their word for it again, what could go wrong" lmao foh
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Next

Return to Current Affairs