Hypocrit

Real Life Events.

Go off topic and I will break you!

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Hypocrit

Postby Lyion » Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:45 am

While Governor of Texas, W stayed the course and did not interfere in the Texas court systems while they performed the most executions of any state in the Union.

His reasoning was that the executive branch should not interfere in the workings of the Judicial branch. 152 executions were performed while he was governor. He was a firm opponent of clemency changes and was unwavering in his support of the court system.

Now when a case is adjudicated over seven years and worked out in the courts, why would he allow Congress to overturn 19 judges and years of doctor testimony in a blatant thumbing at our constitution?

Why would he blatantly sign legislation that is unconstitutional in nature and allows for congress to adjudicate? Bush's quote was "Our laws and our courts should have a presumption in favor of life," Forgive me if I'm a bit unbelieving, especially with his Texas record sitting squarely in opposition of that statement.

I'm extremely concerned with the arrogance our government is displaying and I hope people will make their voices heard that legislators should not interfere in the workings of judges, and vice versa.

This is dangerous ground we're treading on, and I hope we can buck this government behavior now.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Martrae » Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:31 am

I know. It's getting so you can't tell the parties apart anymore too.

The only ones for small government anymore are Libertarians.
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby The Kizzy » Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:35 am

Isn't he doing it as a favor to his brother?
Zanchief wrote:
Harrison wrote:I'm not dead

Fucker never listens to me. That's it, I'm an atheist.
The Kizzy
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Martrae » Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:37 am

No, he's appeasing the anti-abortion crowd. This way when it's overturned he can say, "I tried" along with the weasels in Congress.
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby The Kizzy » Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:38 am

no no no, I read an article, that said Jeb made a call to W and called in a personal favor.
Zanchief wrote:
Harrison wrote:I'm not dead

Fucker never listens to me. That's it, I'm an atheist.
The Kizzy
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Ganzo » Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:48 am

The federal judge this case goes to,should just throw the case out and call this legislation unconstitutional.
גם זה יעבור

Narrock wrote:Yup, I ... was just trolling.

Narrock wrote:I wikipedia'd everything first.
Ganzo
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Martrae » Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:52 am

Somehow, I doubt any favor you owe a brother is big enough to try and blur the lines of government.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Lyion » Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:55 am

They should but unfortunately we have a ton of judges and courts that are moreso political activist than actual judicial branch (Hi, 9th circuit California).

This has no business in Federal Court, and Congress has no business passing laws that overstep their authority.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Martrae » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:27 am

Some good is coming from all the publicity at least.

"I think everyone can agree this is not the way the decision should be made," said Paul Malley, president of Aging with Dignity, a Tallahassee-based agency that created the living will known as "Five Wishes."

Orders for the will have been pouring in as the Schiavo case again grabs headlines worldwide. The group is sending out more than 2,000 living wills a day, with many people requesting multiple copies to distribute to family members.

Aging with Dignity estimates requests for its advanced directives are up tenfold because of the Schiavo case. In October 2003, when the case became an international sensation, on some days orders for living wills were pouring in at a rate of 200 an hour. The group has distributed 1 million copies of its living will since then.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby kaharthemad » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:57 am

Regardless the corruption has stemmed from both ends of the party spectrum. Democrats to Republicans. Lately it seems it is better to smear shit on the others face then to actually do something called legislation. What we need is a revolution. Sad to say but our Republic in which the founding fathers based their Government on is no more.

I know this will sound like a whack job statement but hear me out:
"I think the government would have been better off had the second plane crashed into capital hill like it was intended back on sept11.." For those of you that dont understand this position hear me out.

Most of the people that run this country have become no more than career politicains. and for some odd reason they have placed blinders over thier eyes and are not seeing what this country has become. IF congress had been completely wiped out by that plane consider what would have happened.

The states would have had to place new legislators rapidly indoing so the Senate would have reverted back to how it was originally designed chosen by the State not the people. Congress would have had fresh blood, possibly with this new infusion the new legislative branch would be able to see what this country needs.

Thomas Jeferson stated that for a country to be able to maintain in the hands of the people the people must rebel from time to time. I think we as a people have become complacent to let the governement sit back and run us. Instead of maintaining our freedom we have beomce lemmings to a group of old farts bent on seeing how much pork belly they can place inside thier own pockets before the people vote them out of office.

BTW pardon the spelling here coffee is brewing slow.

I for one believe that we need to step back and see what we can do to repair a republic turned democracy. We were always supposed to be a republic but with the changes made to our constitution (a few times without the consent of the people) we have become no more than a few wolves and a sheep deciding on whats for dinner.
kaharthemad
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby kaharthemad » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:58 am

Gads i hope that did not sound rambling. Im not a wake yet.
kaharthemad
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Eziekial » Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:15 am

Nope, you're spot on even without the joe. Well said.
Eziekial
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Langston » Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:16 am

You make a very important point in your post, Kahar.

This country is not a democracy. It was never INTENDED to be a democracy. It was never designed so that the "popular" opinion would ever govern.

However, we see more and more where this is occuring. It's becoming this way due to the politician's fear of not being re-elected. They're more concerned about their own personal political careers than they are about doing what's right for the country.

Face it, humankind is a stupid mob. You have a few individuals that understand, have a plan, and they lead the uninformed, stupid masses to "believe" in their "cause". The force of this momentum of voting bloc power creates a desperation among our elected officials to listen to the monstrous outcry of ignorance and enact policy or law that is short-sighted, partisan, non-efficient, or just plain wrong because the people WANT it. The sad part is, 98% of the people that clammor for some piece of legistlation have ZERO understanding of what it is they're yammering about. They're making noise simply because someone has plied their emotions with sound bits, misinformation, partial truths, or outright falacy in an attempt to further some ridiculous agenda.

I said it in another thread, the government needs to stop trying to Manage our lives. They need to also grow a spine and stop capitulating to the masses of ignorants that have no concept of the long-term ramifications of their stupidity.

I believe that term limits would go a LONG way toward fixing this problem. Also, an increase to the term durations.

For example: Limit a senator to a single 6 year term. Limit representatives to a single 3 year term. Expand the president's term to 6 years, as well - and limit it to a single stay in office. This way, there's no campaigning for re-election taking place at the voting sessions in Congress. They pass legistlation that is right - not what will get them back into office. The normal progression of a politician is to take part in local government (say for 4-5 years), then state government (for another, say, 5-6 years), then Federal government (normally starting as a rep and then becomming a senator - so under my revised term schedules, up to 9 years). That would be nearly 20 years in politics. That's enough for any one person to do their "duty" for their city, state, and country.

Career politicians are what are destroying this country... that and their inability to do anything fruitful because they're too busy chasing our whims and our votes.
Mindia wrote:I was wrong obviously.
Langston
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Martrae » Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:42 am

Wow....this is HUGE.

Poll: Most Think Congress Wrong on Schiavo Case
Mar 21, 12:24 PM (ET)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Americans broadly and strongly disapprove of the intervention by Congress in the case of Terri Schiavo and most believe lawmakers are using her case for political gain, according to an ABC News poll published on Monday.

Seventy percent deemed the congressional intervention inappropriate, while 67 percent said they believe lawmakers became involved in the Schiavo case for political advantage rather than the principles involved.

The telephone poll of 501 adults was taken on Sunday and has a 4.5 point error margin.

President Bush early on Monday signed emergency legislation aimed at reversing the removal of Schiavo's feeding tube ordered by a state court on Friday. The measure, which sent the case to federal court, was approved during an extraordinary weekend session of the Republican-led Congress.

Sixty-three percent of those surveyed in the ABC poll said they support the removal of Schiavo's feeding tube.

Among two core Republicans constituencies, 54 percent of conservatives said they support removal of the tube, while evangelical Protestants divide about evenly with 46 percent support.

According to the poll, conservatives and evangelicals also were more likely to support federal intervention in the case, although the support did not reach a majority in either group.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Guntaag Gorefeast » Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:51 am

we have become no more than a few wolves and a sheep deciding on whats for dinner.

10 point conclusion~
Guntaag Gorefeast
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby kaharthemad » Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:50 pm

the conclussion was from a political analyst i have seen and read quite often called Neal Boortz. However even his statements I take with a grain of salt.

Thanx for saying I did not sound like a raving nutjob on this.

well no more than usual.
kaharthemad
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby brinstar » Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:31 pm

kaharthemad wrote:for some odd reason they have placed blinders over thier eyes and are not seeing what this country has become.

blinders nothin, man

a fair number of them have never even BEEN to the "real world" that you and i live in every day. they can't possibly realize how their actions affect John Everyman because they don't who John Everyman IS. they've never met him! he doesn't get invited to $400-a-plate fundraiser banquets, he doesn't shop at the same stores, he can't get away with not working 40 hours a week. completely foreign.

"Queen, your people don't even have bread!"

"Oh my, well let them eat cake!"
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Narrock » Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:53 pm

I don't believe that CNN poll. Everybody I talked to about it was in support of keeping the feeding tube in. Everybody.
“The more I study science the more I believe in God.” -- Albert Einstein
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Ganzo » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:03 pm

Mindia wrote:I don't believe that CNN poll. Everybody I talked to about it was in support of keeping the feeding tube in. Everybody.
Why does it not surprise me
גם זה יעבור

Narrock wrote:Yup, I ... was just trolling.

Narrock wrote:I wikipedia'd everything first.
Ganzo
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Narrock » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:11 pm

Ganzo wrote:
Mindia wrote:I don't believe that CNN poll. Everybody I talked to about it was in support of keeping the feeding tube in. Everybody.
Why does it not surprise me

It doesn't surprise you because:

A. You know that CNN is a corrupt news source.

and

B. Only decent people would vote to keep the feeding tube in.
“The more I study science the more I believe in God.” -- Albert Einstein
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby araby » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:36 pm

I'm sorry, but B was what? Did you mean that ONLY decent people would as opposed to an indecent person that would, or that decent people couldn't POSSIBLY vote to remove it?

What you think is best for this woman isn't what's important. Whether or not any of you think that you're right or wrong doesn't matter. You cannot argue with facts in a case like this one-that woman's brain is dead. It died. Like, 14 years ago that woman was injured. The part of her brain that registers anything is dead. What matters is whether or not she would have wanted to be this way. The people who know her best say she wouldn't.

It's their decision. You would want that for yourselves if it were you. I know I would, if that were my spouse, I wouldn't leave him that way for any longer than hope could give me. And I'd hope for who knows how long, but I don't think even if it were my choice that I could let him stay alive on a feeding tube with no chance of using his brain again. It would kill me to do it, but I would only be prolonging the pain for myself.

It's not Kavorkian, or whatever...it's morality and that is something that is defined individually. This woman's family are the only people who should be allowed to discuss this, it's a personal, private matter. Oh wait, no, it's a media circus and LOOK! THERE ARE THE POLITICIANS !
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Martrae » Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:04 pm

We've all read stories about near death experiences. Many times these stories deal with someone who "dies" during surgery. The descriptions seem to always be somewhat the same. The patient suddenly feels themselves leaving their body. They're floating somewhere in the room looking down on the doctors trying to revive them. When the resuscitation works they describe the feeling of falling back into their bodies.

The resuscitation of Terri Schiavo didn't work. She didn't die .. neither did she come back to life. Based on the stories we've heard from others, is it possible that the spirit ... the soul of Terri Schiavo is floating around that hospice room, trapped, somehow, between life and death? Could the soul of Terri Schiavo be pleading with her parents to just step back and let her go?

I don't know about you...but THAT freaked me out.

Edit: added a paragraph break to make it more readable.
Last edited by Martrae on Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby brinstar » Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:20 pm

pineal glands are fuckin cool
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Lyion » Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:14 am

The Fox poll had the same result, Mindia.

Hopefully this case will be resolved by tomorrow and she'll peacefully pass away, instead of being a braindead plaything for her family at 80k/month at Taxpayer expense.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Scoota McGee » Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:18 am

Do you think it's "God's will" to keep somone alive via machines and feeding tubes Mindia?
"Liberals believe government should take people's earnings to give to poor people. Conservatives disagree. They think government should confiscate people's earnings and give them to farmers and insolvent banks. The compelling issue to both conservatives and liberals is not whether it is legitimate for government to confiscate one's property to give to another, the debate is over the disposition of the pillage."

-Dr. Walter Williams
Scoota McGee
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Next

Return to Current Affairs