Idiot filter... Nice!

Real Life Events.

Go off topic and I will break you!

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Postby Durothil Skyreaver » Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:48 pm

the filter is a silly idea

i've never understood people who lobby to have shows censored/banned instead of just not watching
Durothil Skyreaver
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Harrison » Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:35 pm

Mop wrote:If you dont like what is on TV you really dont need a special filter just change the channel

Pussies.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby brinstar » Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:26 pm

i have the best idiot filter of them all

i unscrewed the coax from the TV 5 years ago :)
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Narrock » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:01 am

Arlos is almost as stupid as Rust. This is hilarious. No Arlos... you labeling me as as "ignorant," "bigoted," "closed-minded," blah blah blah, etc. is merely your own ignorance shining through. You think anybody who disagrees with you, or your screwed up wacked out political party's platform is an ignorant bigot.

You are making yourself look like an ass with such generalizations. It actually makes you the one who reeks of short-sightedness. Fox News has a segment called "Hannity and Colmes." You should watch it some time. Sean Hannity represents the general attitude and idealogy of the right, and Alan Colmes... the left. I listen very intently to both of them and formulate my opinions based not only on them, but on Bill O'Reilly (who is an independent), Michael Savage (who is a conservative), and several radio talk shows.

I try watching CNN every now and then, but I can only take about 5-10 minutes of Larry King's stupidity, and about 10 minutes of idealogues like James Carville and his typical boring, uninteresting, sheepish leftist rhetoric.

You are the one who needs to open your mind, boy.
“The more I study science the more I believe in God.” -- Albert Einstein
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Drem » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:21 am

Mindia wrote:You think anybody who disagrees with you, or your screwed up wacked out political party's platform is an ignorant bigot.

You are making yourself look like an ass with such generalizations.

OMF
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Spliffs » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:56 am

I like ESPN personally. The only politicians they show are throwing out the first pitch at baseball games. That my friends, is unbiased coverage.
Spliffs
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Arlos » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:16 pm

Who watches the stupid talking head shows? When I want to watch news, I want to see news reporting, I don't want to see an idiot stuffed shirt blathering on about it, or arguing back and forth between 2 useless wastes of flesh. So no, I don't watch Larry King, I never watched Crossfire (OK, I got a quicktime clip of the time John Stewart was on it, and ripped them a new one), and shows like most of Fox's lineup have no appeal, nor would they even if they were as far left as they are far right. I don't even listen to Air America and Al Franken, and I think his books are hysterical.

If you consider those debate shows to be "news", no wonder you have such a skewed view.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Harrison » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:20 pm

You both have a "skewed view". Both of you need to get over yourselves.
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Lyion » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:58 pm

Mindia wrote:A Fox News has a segment called "Hannity and Colmes." You should watch it some time. Sean Hannity represents the general attitude and idealogy of the right, and Alan Colmes... the left. .

Having suffered through this show a few times, I think it's safe to say 'Colmes' is a goat boy who is on Fox solely because he may be the only liberal commentator worse than Al Franken. Both guys should stick to writing as they couldn't win a debate against Terri Schiavo. Colmes dominates that show.

Fox's 'PRESENTATION" leans heavily right. CNNs presentation leans moderately left. Most would agree with this analogy.

Mindia, I really wonder if all of this is an act. You're an intelligent guy, this seems a facade to me. There's no way you can be that constrained.

Arlos frothingly hates the right, so his arguments make sense. He does them eloquently and tries to present <albeit very schewed> some facts to support his beliefs. His hate does spill over which hurts his discussions, but most of the time he is cognizant and tries to discuss things rationally.

You just go the sledgehammer alienate anyone who doesn't agree with me path. Why? Are you trying to get people not to agree with you? Is this all a roleplaying exercise? I can't believe a person who's smart and educated could present posts of this nature.

I hope you choose to re-evaluate how you discuss things and do so in a manner that presents facts and your opinions in a 'Christian' manner.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Menlaan » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:41 pm

Sorry if this is a repost, but I haven't seen it before on here.

Source:
On Fox News, No Shortage of Opinion, Study Finds
Howard Kurtz
Washington Post Staff Writer
1,485 words
14 March 2005

In covering the Iraq war last year, 73 percent of the stories on Fox News included the opinions of the anchors and journalists reporting them, a new study says.

By contrast, 29 percent of the war reports on MSNBC and 2 percent of those on CNN included the journalists' own views.

These findings -- the figures were similar for coverage of other stories -- "seem to challenge" Fox's slogan of "we report, you decide," says the Project for Excellence in Journalism.

In a 617-page report, the group also found that "Fox is more deeply sourced than its rivals," while CNN is "the least transparent about its sources of the three cable channels, but more likely to present multiple points of view."

The project defines opinion as views that are not attributed to others.

Last March, Fox reporter Todd Connor said that "Iraq has a new interim constitution and is well on its way to democracy."

"Let's pray it works out," said anchor David Asman.

Another time, after hearing that Iraqis helped capture a Saddam Hussein henchman, Asman said: "Boy, that's good news if true, the Iraqis in the lead."

Fox legal editor Stan Goldman challenged the hiring of attorney Gloria Allred to represent Amber Frey (Scott Peterson's mistress), saying: "If you want to keep a low profile, Gloria is not the lawyer to represent you."

In an interview, Fox's executive daytime producer, Jerry Burke, says: "I encourage the anchors to be themselves. I'm certainly not going to step in and censor an anchor on any issue. . . . You don't want to look at a cookie-cutter, force-feeding of the same items hour after hour. I think that's part of the success of the channel, not treating our anchors like drones. They're, number one, Americans, and number two, human beings, as well as journalists."

CNN spokeswoman Christa Robinson says the study "reaffirms what anyone watching CNN already knows: CNN's reporting is driven by news, not opinion." MSNBC declined to comment.

The Project for Excellence in Journalism, a Washington-based research group, offers a three-part breakdown of cable journalists voicing their opinions. From 11 a.m. to noon, this happened on 52 percent of the stories on Fox, 50 percent on MSNBC and 2.3 percent on CNN. Among news-oriented evening shows, journalist opinions were voiced on 70 percent of the stories on Fox's "Special Report With Brit Hume," due in part to its regular analysts panel at the show's end; 9 percent on MSNBC's "Countdown With Keith Olbermann"; and 9 percent on CNN's "NewsNight With Aaron Brown."

As for the most popular prime-time shows, nearly every story -- 97 percent -- contained opinion on Fox's "O'Reilly Factor"; 24 percent on MSNBC's "Hardball With Chris Matthews"; and 0.9 percent on CNN's "Larry King Live." King devoted nearly half his time to entertainment and lifestyle topics, twice as much as O'Reilly and more than three times as much as Matthews.

The project describes cable news reporting as pretty thin compared with the ABC, NBC and CBS evening newscasts. Only a quarter of the cable stories examined contained two or more identifiable sources, compared with 49 percent of network evening news stories and 81 percent of newspaper front-page stories.

This, says the study, is in part because cable leans heavily on live reports, 60 percent of which are based on only a single identifiable source ("the White House said today," etc.). What's more, cable news is far more one-sided than other media outlets, with only a quarter of the stories involving controversy making more than a passing reference to a second point of view. By contrast, says the report, the network morning shows, PBS and newspaper front pages were more than three times as likely to contain a mix of views.

Cable networks "have gravitated, particularly as Fox has surged in the ratings, toward programs and somewhat less toward reporting," says Tom Rosenstiel, the group's director. He says opinion-laden journalism "probably is part of Fox's identity, but it's not true of all the programs."

As for the tone of Iraq coverage, 38 percent of Fox stories were positive, compared with 20 percent on CNN and 16 percent on MSNBC, the report says. But war stories were about as likely to be neutral on Fox (39 percent), and more likely to be neutral on CNN (41 percent) and MSNBC (28 percent).

Despite its 24 hours of available air time, cable isn't exactly bursting with new news. Seven in 10 reports involve recycling of the same subject matter, with only 10 percent adding meaningful updates. "The time required to continuously be on the air seems to take a heavy toll on the nature of the journalism presented," the report says.

On the broadcast front, journalists offered no opinions on 83 percent of the evening news stories, 89 percent of the morning news reports and 97 percent of the pieces on PBS's "NewsHour." The biggest exception: campaign stories, where nightly news correspondents felt comfortable offering horse-race and other opinions 44 percent of the time.

One interesting contrast among the nightly newscasts: CBS was 50 percent more likely than NBC and twice as likely as ABC to air reports on disasters and other unexpected events (Dan Rather loved hurricanes). The "CBS Evening News" was also twice as likely to carry feature stories (such as the ethics of using high-tech duck decoys, or rising credit card debt) unconnected to breaking news .

The morning shows, which run at least two hours, still covered major stories less than the evening newscasts, the project says, devoting much of their time to Martha Stewart, Laci Peterson and other crime, lifestyle and celebrity topics. The morning programs were also more upbeat than not in their Iraq coverage, with positive reports 31 percent of the time and negative 19 percent. By contrast, 32 percent of Iraq stories on the nightly news casts were negative and 18 percent positive, while half were deemed neutral.

The project, which examined 16 newspapers -- from the New York Times, Los Angeles Times and Washington Post to the Bloomington, Ill., Pantagraph -- praised them for offering longer and more deeply sourced stories. Overall, 7 percent of stories contained anonymous sources, down from 29 percent in 2003. But the figure was 20 percent for front-page stories at the biggest papers, compared with 7 percent at the smallest. Stories about the Iraq war were more likely to be negative (31 percent) than positive (23 percent), but just as likely to be neutral in tone (33 percent).

The newsweeklies continued a drift toward softer and broader coverage, the report says. Newsweek did six celebrity and entertainment covers last year to Time's one, while Time did two covers on sports, two on history and one on the environment (the thinner U.S. News & World Report took a more traditional hard-news approach). Newsweek ("The Secret Lives of Wives") and Time ("Low Carb Nation") also ran a number of covers on what the project says might be called "faux trends."

Menlaan
Menlaan
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Harrison » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:44 pm

2 percent...

lmao
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Martrae » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:01 pm

Like it's been said before...you can slant any story to fit your own prejudice. The fact that CNN doesn't provide personal commentary doesn't preclude them from having their own slant on things.
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Langston » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:35 pm

Yeah - the anchors on CNN don't express their own opinions... they express the editors' opinions.
Mindia wrote:I was wrong obviously.
Langston
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Lyion » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:49 pm

Ugzugz wrote:Yeah - the anchors on CNN don't express their own opinions... they express the editors' opinions.

CNN brings up a story, then interviews 4 Democrats and 1 Republican and considers it 'fair and balanced'.

CNN is less biased than Fox, but its like 60/40.. They also are terrible in giving equal time to different parties.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Harrison » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:52 pm

We've been through this 1000 times.

It need not be done again except maybe for Mofish (not so much), Arlos (wholeheartedly), and Mindia (ditto)

The rest of us understand both fox and cnn are both biased in opposite directions. One less so than the other. (CNN is less so to the left than Fox is to the right)
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Gypsiyee » Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:01 pm

Mindia wrote:Arlos is almost as stupid as Rust. This is hilarious. No Arlos... you labeling me as as "ignorant," "bigoted," "closed-minded," blah blah blah, etc. is merely your own ignorance shining through. You think anybody who disagrees with you, or your screwed up wacked out political party's platform is an ignorant bigot.

You are making yourself look like an ass with such generalizations. It actually makes you the one who reeks of short-sightedness. Fox News has a segment called "Hannity and Colmes." You should watch it some time. Sean Hannity represents the general attitude and idealogy of the right, and Alan Colmes... the left. I listen very intently to both of them and formulate my opinions based not only on them, but on Bill O'Reilly (who is an independent), Michael Savage (who is a conservative), and several radio talk shows.

I try watching CNN every now and then, but I can only take about 5-10 minutes of Larry King's stupidity, and about 10 minutes of idealogues like James Carville and his typical boring, uninteresting, sheepish leftist rhetoric.

oh man, apple juice just came out of my nose.
"I think you may be confusing government running amok with government doing stuff you don't like. See, you're in the minority now. It's supposed to taste like a shit taco." - Jon Stewart
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Narrock » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:24 pm

Gypsiyee wrote:
Mindia wrote:Arlos is almost as stupid as Rust. This is hilarious. No Arlos... you labeling me as as "ignorant," "bigoted," "closed-minded," blah blah blah, etc. is merely your own ignorance shining through. You think anybody who disagrees with you, or your screwed up wacked out political party's platform is an ignorant bigot.

Knowing you... it was probably sperm.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Narrock » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:30 pm

Lyion wrote:
Mindia wrote:A Fox News has a segment called "Hannity and Colmes." You should watch it some time. Sean Hannity represents the general attitude and idealogy of the right, and Alan Colmes... the left. .

Having suffered through this show a few times, I think it's safe to say 'Colmes' is a goat boy who is on Fox solely because he may be the only liberal commentator worse than Al Franken. Both guys should stick to writing as they couldn't win a debate against Terri Schiavo. Colmes dominates that show.

Fox's 'PRESENTATION" leans heavily right. CNNs presentation leans moderately left. Most would agree with this analogy.

Mindia, I really wonder if all of this is an act. You're an intelligent guy, this seems a facade to me. There's no way you can be that constrained.

Arlos frothingly hates the right, so his arguments make sense. He does them eloquently and tries to present <albeit very schewed> some facts to support his beliefs. His hate does spill over which hurts his discussions, but most of the time he is cognizant and tries to discuss things rationally.

You just go the sledgehammer alienate anyone who doesn't agree with me path. Why? Are you trying to get people not to agree with you? Is this all a roleplaying exercise? I can't believe a person who's smart and educated could present posts of this nature.

I hope you choose to re-evaluate how you discuss things and do so in a manner that presents facts and your opinions in a 'Christian' manner.

Well Lyion, I too am trying to understand your viewpoint of my posts. Arlos backs up his arguments with facts? LMAO. Yes, he has the ability to write eloquently... so do I, big deal. It doesn't mean anything. My whole argument is that Arlos is quoting "facts" from a select liberal/socialistic pool of resources. He does nothing but regurgitate what the blind liberal sheep of the left cackle over and over again on their websites, "news" programs, and talk shows. You call that intelligent? You call that "thinking for yourself?" OMG, my side hurts from laughing so hard at this... Maybe you should try to re-evaluate your thoughts before you post them. :teehee:
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby brinstar » Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:21 pm

Mindia wrote:Knowing you... it was probably sperm.

flag on the play!

i KNEW you couldn't change. it's just taken longer this time for your hateful, immature self to shine through. you are aware that this kind of behavior got you banned twice already right? you are aware that your third banning won't be temporary right?
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Gypsiyee » Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:25 pm

Mindia wrote:
Gypsiyee wrote:

Knowing you... it was probably sperm.

score one for christianity!

you're a disgraceful man, and when judgment day comes, I assure you, there will be no one to even piss on you while you burn.
"I think you may be confusing government running amok with government doing stuff you don't like. See, you're in the minority now. It's supposed to taste like a shit taco." - Jon Stewart
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby DangerPaul » Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:26 pm

I will piss on him, from my throne in hell.
DangerPaul
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Darcler » Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:42 pm

Mindia wrote:
Lyion wrote:

Well Lyion, I too am trying to understand your viewpoint of my posts. Arlos backs up his arguments with facts? LMAO. Yes, he has the ability to write eloquently... so do I, big deal. It doesn't mean anything. My whole argument is that Arlos is quoting "facts" from a select liberal/socialistic pool of resources. He does nothing but regurgitate what the blind liberal sheep of the left cackle over and over again on their websites, "news" programs, and talk shows. You call that intelligent? You call that "thinking for yourself?" OMG, my side hurts from laughing so hard at this... Maybe you should try to re-evaluate your thoughts before you post them. :teehee:

In the veggie lady thread, you do this also. (bolded text)
Darcler
Saran Wrap Princess
Saran Wrap Princess

Postby Gypsiyee » Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:01 pm

yeah well.. hey shut up whore !

(beating him to it)
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Darcler » Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:11 pm

Or something to the effect of " that's not what I was doing. I was quoting reliable news sources!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I have a cold I cant shake off :(
Darcler
Saran Wrap Princess
Saran Wrap Princess

Previous

Return to Current Affairs