File Sharing hits the Supreme Court for a ruling

Real Life Events.

Go off topic and I will break you!

Moderator: Dictators in Training

File Sharing hits the Supreme Court for a ruling

Postby Lyion » Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:13 am

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050329/D894L8DO0.html

Entertainment companies want the court to let them sue the manufacturers of file-sharing software that allows computer users to download music and movies from each other's computers. The companies say such downloads violate copyright protections and amount to stealing.

Lower courts have sided with the software makers, Grokster Inc. and StreamCast Networks, which say their technology should be looked at no differently than a videocassette recorder.

The case has star power on both sides.

Don Henley, Sheryl Crow, the Dixie Chicks and other musicians are backing the major recording labels, saying their livelihoods are threatened if millions of people can obtain their songs for nothing.

About 20 independent recording artists, including musician and producer Brian Eno, rockers Heart and rapper-activist Chuck D, support the file-sharing technology. They say it allows greater distribution of their music and limits the power of huge record companies.

Regardless of the outcome, it still won't be legal to download copyrighted materials over the Internet without permission, though tens of millions of computer users do so each day. And any ruling won't affect thousands of copyright lawsuits filed individually against Internet users caught sharing music and movies online.

But a victory for the entertainment companies would allow lawsuits that could drive companies that make file-sharing software out of business. It also would effectively overturn rules that have governed technology companies for more than two decades: Manufacturers can't be sued for copyright violations committed by customers using their products illegally.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

i need 50 posts to regain my trophy ~

Postby Anonymous » Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:23 am

when i copy dvds, i also download music. if possible, i also make photocopies of books i've stolen from the public library at the same time. multisteal np ~

the problem w/ this whole digital piracy drivel is that if some chump like myself can figure out how to copy dvds and download music, is that Anyone can. and i mean Anyone in the classic living in a trailer, drinking old milwaukee light and listening to lynrd skynrd sense, k?

the technology that makes this ohso fantastic world gogo is the driving force behind mass theft, yo. that and people being lazy and/or greedy.
Anonymous

Postby brinstar » Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:54 pm

:balloons: the ruling came down in favor of the file-sharing software engineers :balloons:
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Gaazy » Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:08 pm

hey i like Old Milwaukee
Gaazy
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Aires » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:43 pm

Thats great that the file sharing guys won but eventually there wont be enough money to let actors and music artists do thier jobs.
Most the world is a whole bunch of stupid.
Aires
NT Aviak
NT Aviak

Postby Harrison » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:44 pm

Aires wrote:Thats great that the file sharing guys won but eventually there wont be enough money to let actors and music artists do thier jobs.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Mop » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:46 pm

I typoed out a response but it had too many errors from laughter.

Go ahead buy that cd, give that artist 75 cents.
Narrock wrote:I don't like rabbits. They remind me of this chick I met on teh internet like 5 years ago.
Mop
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Lyion » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:49 pm

Why do I get the feeling that if Music Borg Companies didn't control the industry, that we'd get a lot better and more diversified music?

Although the Media Execs would be mad at losing billions that they made without having a shred of musical talent.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tossica » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:51 pm

Good music is out there, just don't look to the Borg for it. Do some research.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Return to Current Affairs