Life updates

Sidle up to the bar (Lightly Moderated)

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Re: Life updates

Postby Drem » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:40 am

fuck yeah! i've been sous chef at this japanese spot for the last year and a half. i never finished culinary school. i was already four or five years into it, working at random places, before someone at the college i was working at at the time talked me into trying to get a degree about it. long story short, school didn't work out

but finally, ten years into the cooking shit, after hearing tired jokes from dudes like tikker about flipping burgers, i now get full bennies and a livable wage. and boss the back of the house around. i've started doing half the orders for my chef and wrapping my head around how to run a streamlined kitchen that, with a pretty minimal staff, can pull in more money in a single service (we're only open from 5pm-1am) than any restaurant i've ever worked at. it's been pretty fucking awesome

i've never gotten bonuses or beach retreats at a restaurant before

in other news, little man just turned one, he and my wife are kicking ass, and i just pulled the trigger on a sexy new tsutomo kajiwara knife that i can barely wait for

i dunno what your preference is for knives, tug, but aside from the german set i got from culinary school, i've only ever had japanese knives. now i'm gettin more into customs
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:47 am

baller as fuck
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Tuggan » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:12 pm

i think i'm partial towards asian style too. european style are too clunky. my go to everyday knife is a cheap "thai chef knife" by a company called kom kom

theyre like 10 bucks + shipping, but i love em. sharp out the box and hold an edge for quite awhile before you gotta put it to a stone.

how much is a custom job japanese knife? primarily for sashimi or can it take a beating?
Tuggan
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Drem » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:02 pm

Thanks B!

and ya the kom koms are good. we still use kiwis for our house knives. I think they're even cheaper. they're easy to resharpen. Good workhorses

but this knife is only $120. pretty nice price for what it is. and there are different weights. This one's pretty heavy for its size, but you can get featherweight if you want to

Japanese knives are general tempered to a higher Rockwell rating (60-65) than euro knives (<59) so they require a different sharpening/honing method because the edge never rolls over, it microscopically chips away

they are also typically high carbon or Damascus, so you gotta take better care of them than a stainless blade. And no, they're not for sashimi. Sujihikis are, but in Japan, like in France, there's a knife for every project in the kitchen. the shape of your kom kom is actually called a Bunka
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Arlos » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:55 pm

My parents always had a set of Cutco knives when I was growing up. Not that I have a vast array of comparison points, but they seemed to be pretty good knives.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Kramer » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:07 am

GRATS DREM!

and cutco will CUUUTTT YOOOOUUU
Mindia is seriously the greatest troll that has ever lived.
    Kramer
    NT Traveller
    NT Traveller

Postby Tossica » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:11 pm

Hmmm grats everyone on their achievements!

Not much new to report. Building up a project studio in the basement. Old analog synths, effects, etc.

Still running the warehouse. We have an event a month usually and rock out til the sun comes up.

Still working at the Dept of Revenue...

Life is pretty awesome.
    Tossica
    NT Patron
    NT Patron

Postby Jay » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:26 pm

My friends who worked at Cutco would hit me up for appointments and it was really annoying but now I wish I had a set of Cutco knives. Their product really is amazing.

Grats everyone and glad you're still doing well Toss.
    leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
    Jay
    Nappy Headed Ho
    Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Ganzo » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:16 am

Grats to all on their achievements.

Not many changes for me:
    Finally finished the house in June and moved in, now spend all my weekends doing minor touch-ups, still need to do major work on my garage over next few weekends.
    Got promoted at work from Project Manager to Program Manager so now I get to spend more of my nights in meetings with Japan, but on the plus side I can now telecommute on the days when I don't have face-to-face meetings with customer.
    Went to my daughter's belt test(Aikido and Jiu Jitsu) last night and watched her submit a boy 2 years older then her with an arm bar, so i'm happy
    Over all life is good
    גם זה יעבור

Narrock wrote:Yup, I ... was just trolling.

Narrock wrote:I wikipedia'd everything first.
    Ganzo
    Dictator in Training
    Dictator in Training

Postby Jay » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:56 am

Your daughter is Rhonda Rousey? =P
    leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
    Jay
    Nappy Headed Ho
    Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Ganzo » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:46 am

Jay wrote:Your daughter is Rhonda Rousey? =P

Yes :derr:
    גם זה יעבור

Narrock wrote:Yup, I ... was just trolling.

Narrock wrote:I wikipedia'd everything first.
    Ganzo
    Dictator in Training
    Dictator in Training

Postby Kramer » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:46 pm

i am still working for United Health Care, it's not romantic but i get paid well and have insurance which is giant with 4 kids!
    It's finally the 6 months of amazing weather in houston, till April, we'll be loving life...

I am playing RIFT about an hour a day in the afternoon (CST) on Faeblight if anyone else is.. dwarf cleric Cletis
    Mindia is seriously the greatest troll that has ever lived.
      Kramer
      NT Traveller
      NT Traveller

Postby Harrison » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:07 pm

I've been actively hunting for my first few seasons now this year. (Duck, Turkey, Geese, Pheasant, and now Deer.)

I landed my first buck Saturday afternoon before sundown on the back of an island on a beach. Everyone called me crazy for choosing this spot but, I knew it would yield somehow.

He burst out of the woods 200-300 yards out from me, onto the coastal wetlands and was making a bee line straight to me in the elephant grass. Everyone said I would panic on my first deer but, I kept calm, stayed crouched in the elephant grass patch until he kept sprinting and bounding closer.

He got to about 10-15 yards out when I took my first shot. (I load my first shot a slug, and follow up with 4-00 buckshot loads in case the slug misses its mark or doesn't drop them quickly enough.)

He was heading to my right to the water so he could swim out to a small island off the coast of this one if I had my guess. He doubled back left, still sprinting where I followed up with another shot of buckshot. He doubled back again to my right when he dropped 20 yards out.

That's when my knees were shaking. I was calm the whole time but, after it was over my knees were shaking and it felt like I had just got into a fight. It's an experience I don't think I'll ever forget. It was a ridiculously long day in the freezing rain but, it paid off.

He weighed in at 125-127 lbs. dressed. He only had two small 2.75in. spike antlers but, he was a big boy. Lots of meat for the family!

1907871_894805387209929_2758631989758735219_n.jpg
      How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
      Harrison
      NT Legend
      NT Legend

Postby Spazz » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:51 pm

I dont think its possible to take a hunting photo without looking like an asshole. Id post mine for ya so you could know i wasnt just bein a dick but i lost them in a fire a while back.

Grats on your deer. I hate being out in cold damp shitty weather so deer hunting isnt my thing.
      WHITE TRASH METAL SLUMMER
      Why Immortal technique?
      Perhaps its because I am afraid and he gives me courage.
      Spazz
      Osama bin Spazz
      Osama bin Spazz

Postby Harrison » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:39 pm

Yeah, 13 hours in the sub 40s rain.

Anyone that is out there claiming hunting is for pussies, has never done it.(See a lot of it in comment threads on National Geographic posts lol)
      Harrison
      NT Legend
      NT Legend

Postby Spazz » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:24 pm

Yea cold sucks , waiting around sucks , gutting sucks and killin shit makes ya feel weird. I dont begrudge people who hunt but i kinda think the spear guys are barbarians and baiting is wack.
      i enjoyed the fuck outta my hog hunt but i think it was a one time thing for me.

by any chance the people you see calling hunters pussies in national geographic arent reacting to fools hunting lions,elephants and animals like that are they ? Thats a whole different ball game than hunting local well populated animals for food and you should prolly get flack for.

I used to think killing a lion would be awesome. At some point it dawned on me that killing something that is endangered that im not going to eat just for its head feet and tail was a really fucking retarded thing to think.

I guess its all in what animal your hunting on if its a bitch move or not.
      Why Immortal technique?
      Spazz
      Osama bin Spazz
      Osama bin Spazz

Postby Harrison » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:17 pm

No, they're the typical vegan shitbrained mongoloid who believes all animals are God's gift to behold by sight only.

I'm against killing predators unless they're a problem/safety concern. (or diseased, suffering, or what have you)
      Harrison
      NT Legend
      NT Legend

Postby Spazz » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:48 pm

Yea man like bill burr said other night Something has to die every day so that i may live. I will say sometimes I see the farms our meat comes off and I wish i was a vegan but those thoughts only last until im hungry.

Everyone gets emotional though should hear the shit comes out of my mouth when i see anything to do with rhino or phant poaching. Ive also been known to completely lose my shit over people who eat dogs.
      Why Immortal technique?
      Spazz
      Osama bin Spazz
      Osama bin Spazz

Postby leah » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:14 am

Spazz wrote:Yea man like bill burr said other night Something has to die every day so that i may live. I will say sometimes I see the farms our meat comes off and I wish i was a vegan but those thoughts only last until im hungry.

Everyone gets emotional though should hear the shit comes out of my mouth when i see anything to do with rhino or phant poaching. Ive also been known to completely lose my shit over people who eat dogs.

guilty. i wish i had the resolve to be vegetarian (not vegan; that's crazy talk). but fucking burgers, man. so good. best i could do is probably alex's "no mammals" policy, so at least i could still have chicken and turkey, but really if i think too long about any of the meat i eat i get very sad about it.

i'm not a fan of hunting at all—i love furry things too much—but i especially loathe hunting for trophy animals. our mom's boss is a bow hunter who's gone on safaris to hunt big exciting game and also has probably shot a bear or two in his day and it just makes me too sad to think about.

i know deer will become overpopulated and it's just the way things are, but that doesn't mean i have to like it. it just makes me feel like humankind is such a parasite on this earth and how beautiful and peaceful everything would be if we weren't around to slaughter things all the time.

ANYWAY. sorry.
      lolz
      leah
      Preggers!
      Preggers!

Postby Zanchief » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:44 am

My brother was doing a no mammal diet for a couple of years.
      Zanchief
      Chief Wahoo
      Chief Wahoo

Postby Jay » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:30 am

I don't think killing animals for fun with a high powered rifle is cool but I can reconcile it if they kill to eat the animal or if they are doing population control (ie deer).

Jay
      Nappy Headed Ho
      Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Spazz » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:10 pm

Rifle is the most humane way to hunt imo . You can kill your animal on the spot no chase no multiple shots just bam and go get it.

Spear hunting bugs me. Its brutal its not quick and its messy. i dont think it should be legal at all but thats just me.
      Why Immortal technique?
      Spazz
      Osama bin Spazz
      Osama bin Spazz

Postby Harrison » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:37 pm

There is nothing "easy" about killing anything with any sort of firearm. Using high powered rifles isn't for ease, it's for efficiency and not allowing it to suffer.

The romantic notion that you just point and click is highly exaggerated and erroneous.
      Harrison
      NT Legend
      NT Legend

Postby Drem » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:36 am

congrats! not to harp on your game, but is using buckshot for a coup de grace a typical thing? I've never heard of hunting deer with a shotgun. my friends all use .30-06. I've always been told buckshot is terrible when you get to the butchering

anyways, Thomas Keller always said if you eat meat, you should raise and slaughter your own animals. you should hear their death throes, to have a better understanding and more respect for where your food came from. Something hunters already practice, more or less

and spazz, that bill burr special. Ahahahahah. 85% of you need to go!

edit:
      Last edited by Drem on Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
      Drem
      Nappy Headed Ho
      Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Drem » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:41 am

PS: sell me deer jerky
      Drem
      Nappy Headed Ho
      Nappy Headed Ho

PreviousNext

Return to Cap's Alehouse