Life updates

Sidle up to the bar (Lightly Moderated)

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Re: Life updates

Postby brinstar » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:37 pm

well you likely know this but a-fib is the top half of the heart freaking the fuck out for whatever reason

it's fairly common in the elderly and those who party hard (it used to be called "holiday heart" because sailors on shore leave would get so shitfaced their hearts would wig out) but mine has no clear cause. a-fib usually isn't a serious condition, it just kinda feels like you're a bit winded

v-fib on the other hand is serious shit, that's when the ventricles (bottom half) that slam out the fresh blood into the body lose their marbles and just do whatever

if you are on a-fib but your Vs are working fine, your blood is still circulating (if a bit unevenly) - but when your Vs take a shit basically your circulation system goes to hell

this all gets traced back to how cardiac cells work - each cell is capable of spontaneously generating its own signal and flexing, but those weak tendencies are (supposed to be) overridden by the big signal coming down the sinoatrial nerve that makes them all work (flex) together. when the big signal gets interrupted or garbled, the cells just kinda do their own thing

here's a gif of what normal sinoatrial signal looks like:
you see the big signal come down and force everything to work together

and here's what a-fib looks like:
big signal gets gunked up or cut off - leaving the atria to just sorta fuck off and the valves just sorta flap around BUT the bottom half still pumps your shit around so you don't die, you just feel kinda weird (i described it as "my heart feels like holding a declawed cat over a bathtub full of water")

on the other hand here's what v-fib looks like:
your ventricles are having a goddamn rave and if you get this you pretty much die within a minute or two

THE MORE YOU KNOOOOW
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Savanna » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:22 am

You guys are speaking my language ...couldn't help but notice the heart talk when I popped in tonight! I get all the fun of afib pts, heart failure, heart attack/chest pain, open heart surgery, anything that can seem heart related and random critical care overflow but I love my heart patients the most! You never know what you'll get from ER. ;) Afib is soooo common and pretty easy to deal with now a days. Some nights I feel like everyone is in afib! Vfib is the oh sh** shock rhythm. I used to be more scared of whacky heart rhythms and especially chest pain/heart attack type stuff but there's a lot we can do now for hearts. Watching open heart surgery is so fascinating, especially valve replacements! I did a shift in the cath lab so I could practice pulling the sheaths they put in when they do angiograms/stents/ablations etc. Watching them do stents & seeing the arteries flow again smoothly is pretty cool to watch too. I take care of pacemaker pts all the time ...they can do different kinds so some are just defibrillators and others can pace as needed or all the time. People are in n out for them it feels like! ;) sorry I wrote like a book response, love the heart ;)
I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures
Savanna
NT Aviak
NT Aviak

Postby Narrock » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:05 pm

10sun wrote:Getting married in like 7 weeks.
I believe everything is all set aside from getting a suit.
I'll probably visit the tailor this weekend to get that addressed.

It is good to hear you are doing well.
I packed my little brother off to rehab two months ago and he had his first family day this past weekend. He is doing well, but he made the commitment to stay for 13 months and we are holding him to it.

Grats 10sun! Wow, you guys didn't waste any time since the SCOTUS handed down that decision a few weeks ago eh?
“The more I study science the more I believe in God.” -- Albert Einstein
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Narrock » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:06 pm

brinstar wrote:well you likely know this but a-fib is the top half of the heart freaking the fuck out for whatever reason

it's fairly common in the elderly and those who party hard (it used to be called "holiday heart" because sailors on shore leave would get so shitfaced their hearts would wig out) but mine has no clear cause. a-fib usually isn't a serious condition, it just kinda feels like you're a bit winded

v-fib on the other hand is serious shit, that's when the ventricles (bottom half) that slam out the fresh blood into the body lose their marbles and just do whatever

if you are on a-fib but your Vs are working fine, your blood is still circulating (if a bit unevenly) - but when your Vs take a shit basically your circulation system goes to hell

this all gets traced back to how cardiac cells work - each cell is capable of spontaneously generating its own signal and flexing, but those weak tendencies are (supposed to be) overridden by the big signal coming down the sinoatrial nerve that makes them all work (flex) together. when the big signal gets interrupted or garbled, the cells just kinda do their own thing

here's a gif of what normal sinoatrial signal looks like:
you see the big signal come down and force everything to work together

and here's what a-fib looks like:
big signal gets gunked up or cut off - leaving the atria to just sorta fuck off and the valves just sorta flap around BUT the bottom half still pumps your shit around so you don't die, you just feel kinda weird (i described it as "my heart feels like holding a declawed cat over a bathtub full of water")

on the other hand here's what v-fib looks like:
your ventricles are having a goddamn rave and if you get this you pretty much die within a minute or two

THE MORE YOU KNOOOOW

Damn, Brin, I hope they get your afib fixed asap.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Narrock » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:07 pm

Tossica wrote:Ha!

Nice one.

Well, I'm married and we're deep in to house hunting.

Grats Toss! Nice crib too! I dig it. :hiphop:
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Drem » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:09 pm

Narrock wrote:
Grats 10sun! Wow, you guys didn't waste any time since the SCOTUS handed down that decision a few weeks ago eh?

nicely done
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Narrock » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:14 pm

Jay wrote:I've been kinda quiet, a little embarrassed to be honest.

Divorced now, coming up on a year. Things never got back to how they were before the babies. Sold the house and now I live in an apartment. Ex has the kids and we have a nice agreement worked out and live close to each other and are still friends. Neither of us has started dating yet and I honestly feel kinda fine being alone for now. I mostly focus on work and fighting games when I'm not with the kiddies.

I don't feel great about myself, but I don't feel bad either. I've definitely gotten better but have been better too. Just 1 day at a time.

EDIT: On the upside we do both love Seattle. I wanted to stay and especially with how San Francisco's prices have gone up and how there's that big water shortage going on I didn't really want to go back. Thankfully she was in total agreement with staying in Seattle herself.

Sup Jay? Sorry to hear your marriage went south. It's cool to hear that you guys are working it out civilly though. My sister and bro-in-law are moving near Redmond soon, and next May we'll go up and visit. If you're still in the area next year I'll hit you up. Maybe we can meet up for lunch or something and you can meet the family n stuff.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Narrock » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:15 pm

Drem wrote:
Narrock wrote:

nicely done

What's up Drem? What's new in your world? Still a chef up in Eugene?
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Narrock » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:17 pm

Savanna wrote:You guys are speaking my language ...couldn't help but notice the heart talk when I popped in tonight! I get all the fun of afib pts, heart failure, heart attack/chest pain, open heart surgery, anything that can seem heart related and random critical care overflow but I love my heart patients the most! You never know what you'll get from ER. ;) Afib is soooo common and pretty easy to deal with now a days. Some nights I feel like everyone is in afib! Vfib is the oh sh** shock rhythm. I used to be more scared of whacky heart rhythms and especially chest pain/heart attack type stuff but there's a lot we can do now for hearts. Watching open heart surgery is so fascinating, especially valve replacements! I did a shift in the cath lab so I could practice pulling the sheaths they put in when they do angiograms/stents/ablations etc. Watching them do stents & seeing the arteries flow again smoothly is pretty cool to watch too. I take care of pacemaker pts all the time ...they can do different kinds so some are just defibrillators and others can pace as needed or all the time. People are in n out for them it feels like! ;) sorry I wrote like a book response, love the heart ;)

Grats on your career Sav! Sounds like you really love your job. How's Patrick doing?
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Narrock » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:23 pm

Drem wrote:
Narrock wrote:

nicely done

Just a harmless jab for ol time's sake. :teehee:
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Drem » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:40 am

Nah, my wife and I got a house last December and bought a business a couple months ago. A nail shop. I'm doing the books and being our own CPA and random maintenance/re-modeling stuff and doing everything around the house and watching our boy a lot while she paints nails all day

Big change. It was fun being sous chef at that Japanese spot for the last couple years, and I actually took over a kitchen for a couple months at this cool Italian butcher shop/deli before we bought our business back in May, but it was time to get out of the food service industry. I miss cooking good food, but not the ridiculous alcohol-fueled environment. Now I just get to cook for my friends and family. I was at the typical salary cap for most chefs in this area and it wasn't enough to make me happy down the road

How about you?
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Narrock » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:27 am

Drem wrote:Nah, my wife and I got a house last December and bought a business a couple months ago. A nail shop. I'm doing the books and being our own CPA and random maintenance/re-modeling stuff and doing everything around the house and watching our boy a lot while she paints nails all day

Big change. It was fun being sous chef at that Japanese spot for the last couple years, and I actually took over a kitchen for a couple months at this cool Italian butcher shop/deli before we bought our business back in May, but it was time to get out of the food service industry. I miss cooking good food, but not the ridiculous alcohol-fueled environment. Now I just get to cook for my friends and family. I was at the typical salary cap for most chefs in this area and it wasn't enough to make me happy down the road

How about you?

That's cool man. I hope the nail salon stays lucrative for you guys. It's always a big risk owning your own business, but women LOVE their mani's and pedi's so I think you'll be okay.

Still hauling propane. Not a glorious job by any means, but I still like my job and get to see a lot of nice country, and my company has a very nice retirement plan. My wife still works from home for Blue Shield. Lexi starts first grade in about a month. Time's a flyin. We're looking around at other states for retirement... gonna definitely be leaving Commiefornia. We took our vacation this year to Oregon. We loved coastal Oregon and Bend the most.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Drem » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:37 am

Narrock wrote:
Drem wrote:Nah, my wife and I got a house last December and bought a business a couple months ago. A nail shop. I'm doing the books and being our own CPA and random maintenance/re-modeling stuff and doing everything around the house and watching our boy a lot while she paints nails all day

How about you?

That's cool man. I hope the nail salon stays lucrative for you guys. It's always a big risk owning your own business, but women LOVE their mani's and pedi's so I think you'll be okay.

Still hauling propane. Not a glorious job by any means, but I still like my job and get to see a lot of nice country, and my company has a very nice retirement plan. My wife still works from home for Blue Shield. Lexi starts first grade in about a month. Time's a flyin. We're looking around at other states for retirement... gonna definitely be leaving Commiefornia. We took our vacation this year to Oregon. We loved coastal Oregon and Bend the most.

Nice. Yeah, time is flying. The coast is great. We're about 45mins from Florence and try to go between there and Newport as often as we can. Bandon and Astoria are also awesome. Do you mean North Bend on the coast? Or Bend in the desert?
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Narrock » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:39 am

Bend out in the desert, although I didn't see much desert in Bend til we headed south on 97 towards K Falls. The Old Mill district in Bend was gorgeous with the Deschutes river running right thru it, and views of the Sisters and Mt. Bachelor. We came up the coast out of Cali into Brookings, thru Gold Beach and Coos Bay and then Newport. There was a cool ass wild animal park we stopped at on the way. Then in Salem we stopped at Enchanted Forest... fucking cool place! My daughter loved it. Oregon has a lot to offer, and it's a beautiful state. :-)
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby brinstar » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:30 pm

Narrock wrote:Damn, Brin, I hope they get your afib fixed asap.

oh it's been handled for years now, there's really only been that one major episode and that was what, 07? 08? somewhere around there
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Narrock » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:46 pm

brinstar wrote:

oh it's been handled for years now, there's really only been that one major episode and that was what, 07? 08? somewhere around there

Thank God!!! I have a mild case of Spondylosis, but it's handled with seeing a physical therapist and pain management when needed.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby leah » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:09 pm

brinstar wrote:

if you're referring to the hospital stay, it was 06. i was still in college.
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Savanna » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:11 pm

Narrock wrote:Grats on your career Sav! Sounds like you really love your job. How's Patrick doing?

Patrick still slaving away for GE being the saint of a hubby for putting up with my crazy night shift schedule. He still plays random games and helps the boys install new games to play so is turning them into little gamer geeks I guess some too. We seem to be stuck up in the NW but my job is probably too good for us to move back to Colorado or KC to be near my folks. For now we'll have to just vacation a lot.

Dunno if these links will work but pics of the kiddos
https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/t31.0-8/10687913_10154599873715285_435154175382601608_o.jpg
https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t31.0-8/10608561_10154599874025285_7920036369900998804_o.jpg
I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures
Savanna
NT Aviak
NT Aviak

Postby Harrison » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:39 am

Updates (I'm using this as a warm-up for continuing to write my best man's speech):

I landed a really well-paying job (relatively speaking, it's shit for the physical toll it took and the time requirements) this summer after classes ended last semester. It was just your typical warehouse, nothing special. Though they for some reason paid $18.36/hr base rate with incentives where I was making roughly $20-23 depending on the week and my performance.

Then I got hit with a nasty viral infection, post-infection viral pneumonia, and lost the job last week. :dunno: This sort of emphasizes how shitty it is that an employer can fire you when your doctor has you admitted and then put in a bed for 5 days for your own safety, legally.

Oh well, I was not relying on the job to live. I originally was only looking for something for the summer anyways. I just changed my mind when the compensation was discussed hahah

My son is 3 now and has been going to preschool. He LOVES it. Here's a recent picture. (Ignore my grunginess lol I had just worked all night and hadn't slept that day at all.)

11905791_10100786897228935_3680021794930609307_n.jpg

Still in school full time and still doing really well with that. Computer Information Systems: Networking focus, POSSIBLY transferring to University of Massachusetts to get my B.S. I am not sure yet on that. I am doing all of the prerequisites in case I do decide to, however.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Arlos » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:51 pm

Going for the BS is definitely worth it. A LOT of employers in tech will use that as an immediate reject feature, unless you have a lot of experience already. Get a BS in information systems and get at least a CCNA (should be trivial if you've been focusing on networking), and you can easily land a 60-80k+ a year entry level network ops job. Would drop work hours to 40-60 a week (with some late night pager duty rotation, where you might have to respond at 3am if something breaks), and it would be in an office, so very little physical demands. Easier on you, easier on the family, and way better income.

So yeah, definitely go for the BS if it's an option.

PS. I was a Network Engineer for a number of years, at some well-known tech companies. (Oracle and WebEx (before it was bought by Cisco) to name two). At one point, I had a CCNP, was studying for the CCIE, and was team lead of the network support group at WebEx, and was the guy that got handed all the really tough problems to fix. So, the Networking world, I know.
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Harrison » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:46 pm

Awesome, all of my friends are in different fields and I have VERY few in the tech world to speak to about this decision. That may just have solidified the choice as I know you've been at this a long, long, time.

I only need 12 more credits for my transfer requirements, and I have a 3.8 GPA(I think? I forget.) so I'm good to go when I do.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Tossica » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:39 am

I've worked in "IT" since 1988. I never sought out to start a career, it just sort of happened. Beyond a 2 month period where I relocated, I have not been unemployed or even underemployed in my entire adult life. I make quite a bit of money for what I consider to be a fairly low stress job. Working for the state, I never put in more than 40hrs and rarely have to take work home with me.

The key to a successful career in IT is diversity, I think. Have a very wide skillset and be able to pick up new skills on the fly. My career has morphed over the years as technology changes. I started on a mainframe, moved on to "mini computers" and UNIX support, then on to desktops and Windows stuff, then servers, Exchange and networking and now I am pretty much all VMware. Learn it all.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby leah » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:30 am

mr. husband works for a cloud migration company now, and is doing quite well for himself. he doesn't have a degree and didn't really have any experience in cloud computing, but he's a quick study and has already earned an AWS certification in the year that he's been working for Nimbo. so yeah, i think if you can be open to learning a variety of things really quickly, then you shouldn't have much trouble. (also, i can put you in contact with josh if you want to talk about such things... the company is based in NY so if it's something you were ever interested in doing, he might even be able to put in a good word.)
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Jay » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:34 pm

I'm getting a mitral valve repair and a ICD implant. ICD implant is something that syncs my heartbeat and acts as a defibrillator/pacemaker.

While in recovery I will finally get to see what all the hype behind Walking Dead is about. My goal will be to relax so lots of TV and no video games.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Zanchief » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:13 pm

The trick to enjoying walking dead is not thinking too hard about the scenarios. The people in the show are dumb. They do dumb things and get themselves killed all the time. They often claim to be smart, but they aren't. Get past that one thing and the show is fun to watch.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

PreviousNext

Return to Cap's Alehouse