Life updates

Sidle up to the bar (Lightly Moderated)

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Re: Life updates

Postby Tossica » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:07 pm

Ha!

Nice one.

Well, I'm married and we're deep in to house hunting.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby leah » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:50 pm

eeeeee! mazel tov!!! :balloons: :boots: :balloons:
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Savanna » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:33 am

Hi! I randomly pop in and check to see if there's anything new or exciting! I graduated in December with my BSN/Nursing :) and got a new grad RN residency position in critical care on a Cardiovascular Care Unit (CVCU). We take open heart surgery patients, any post cath. lab procedure patients like stents, pacemakers and all other fun things heart related! Did my sr. practicum on a cardiac icu and just have a thing for heart patients! Switching to night shift in May after orientation period is up and dreading it. :( Patrick (Vene) blew my first paycheck on his new Dodge Ram...he couldn't wait for me to make $$ so he could get it. Had our 10 year anniv. last July. He's still doing his software engineering thing for GE. Kids are growing like weeds, 6 & 8. Still stuck in rainy Oregon but thankfully it's been a mild winter. I won't complain since we haven't been buried in snow like everyone else!!

Lots o' weddings happening here on NT! Grats to those newly hitched or soon to be! Hope everyone is doing well!
I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures
Savanna
NT Aviak
NT Aviak

Postby Lyion » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:57 pm

Congrats, Savanna Banana. I left my job at Verizon after 16 years with a severance after selling a chunk of us to Frontier.. I'm now doing consulting work which is amusing. I'm still in Ohio, but really would like to escape here, especially since Winters are sucking more in my 40s. I miss San Diego. :(

Congrats, Toss. I'll be flying into Minnesota April 6 for a one week gig. It's interesting traveling after so many years doing the telecommute remote support thing.

Hope everyone is good.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Harrison » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:20 am

Midterms down, A+ across the board. (I know, hardcore overachieving in community college who cares? lol)

I wish I could get paid to attend college for as long as I wish. I'm obsessed with learning as much as I can about everything.

But, the current way higher education works (raping poor people on loans, book monopolies, and etc.) this is impossible. Can't raise a family by continuously putting yourself further into debt paying the absurd costs of college in the U.S.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Drem » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:29 am

scholarships and grants ?

congrats!
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Harrison » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:47 am

My grants cut off at 4 years. I doubt scholarships go on forever however high I keep my GPA.

In any case, still not enough with a family. :dunno:

It's just a dream of mine lol
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby brinstar » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:26 pm

Harrison wrote:But, the current way higher education works (raping poor people on loans, book monopolies, and etc.) this is impossible. Can't raise a family by continuously putting yourself further into debt paying the absurd costs of college in the U.S.

this for days

21 school days left until i'm done with student teaching and get my teaching cert, then i get to try to find a job

although i'm getting some great recommendations and the high school half a mile from my apt is about to have an opening due to retirement...
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby leah » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:51 am

i don't know what timelines are like for teachers but i feel like maybe you should already be applying for jobs if you're only 21 days out? i seem to recall friends saying that schools do most of their hiring in the springtime...
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Durothil Skyreaver » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:27 pm

leah wrote:i don't know what timelines are like for teachers but i feel like maybe you should already be applying for jobs if you're only 21 days out? i seem to recall friends saying that schools do most of their hiring in the springtime...

It will somewhat depend on when retiring teacher and others leaving have to get their notice in. Where I teach they don't know all the positions to be filled until the end of May. I would certainly be applying wherever you can. But again, it depends on what the application process is like in various divisions/districts/boards etc etc etc.
Durothil Skyreaver
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Harrison » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:20 am

Semester is wrapping up, my back is healed up nearly(injured it this winter falling through ice while trapping), getting excited knowing I only have another year of school or so left.

I'm frustrated with my English professor's grading methods. I got two zeros on "weekly writing assignments" which amounts simply to revisions on my papers.

I received a 100 on all of my papers so far. I went from first draft to final draft because, that's just my process of writing. I wasn't aware the revisions were required so I was simply pumping out excellent papers without needing further revisions.

My perfect grades now amount to a total of a C+ in this class and I'm very pissed off about that.

I feel that if my paper warrants a 100 the lack of one additional revision is really irrelevant. :dunno:
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Tossica » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:45 am

Final hurdles cleared. Closing on a sweet house on May 11th. It has a professionally built recording studio in the basement!?!!? WTF? Super excited! 1963 3 br, 3 bath rambler. 2 car attached and 2 car detached garage on over 1/2 acre.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Harrison » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:17 pm

Sounds like fucking heaven, Toss.
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Jay » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:46 pm

I've been kinda quiet, a little embarrassed to be honest.

Divorced now, coming up on a year. Things never got back to how they were before the babies. Sold the house and now I live in an apartment. Ex has the kids and we have a nice agreement worked out and live close to each other and are still friends. Neither of us has started dating yet and I honestly feel kinda fine being alone for now. I mostly focus on work and fighting games when I'm not with the kiddies.

I don't feel great about myself, but I don't feel bad either. I've definitely gotten better but have been better too. Just 1 day at a time.

EDIT: On the upside we do both love Seattle. I wanted to stay and especially with how San Francisco's prices have gone up and how there's that big water shortage going on I didn't really want to go back. Thankfully she was in total agreement with staying in Seattle herself.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby leah » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:27 am

:cry: sorry to hear that, jay

nothing to be ashamed of, though. sometimes things just don't work out. you have the right attitude: just take it day by day. i'm glad y'all can still be friends and be respectful and put the kiddos first. good for you.
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Harrison » Fri May 08, 2015 7:24 pm

Shitty to hear that Jay. My girlfriend and I were/are going through similar. I think we've gone over the hump, though.

We may be relocating sooner than I thought. We were going to wait until I graduated, but her uncle offered her a business to take over in NC. We may have to do semesters apart until I graduate. Which, admittedly, will likely be tougher on me than her. (She will have Noah when I'm back at school in the Fall and Spring)
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Tossica » Tue May 12, 2015 6:36 am

We're homeowners! Yay! Signed my life away and got the keys yesterday. We have a lease on our current compound until end of July so we have some time to spruce the place up. A REAL home theater! Psyched!
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Jay » Tue May 12, 2015 10:02 am

Harrison wrote:Shitty to hear that Jay. My girlfriend and I were/are going through similar. I think we've gone over the hump, though.

We may be relocating sooner than I thought. We were going to wait until I graduated, but her uncle offered her a business to take over in NC. We may have to do semesters apart until I graduate. Which, admittedly, will likely be tougher on me than her. (She will have Noah when I'm back at school in the Fall and Spring)

I'm glad to hear that. It's one thing if shit happens and we both try to make it work. It's another when the only one trying to adapt and she keeps feeling sorry for herself. Depression is a bitch and after meds, therapy for her and us both, friends reaching out, family reaching out and me trying to be available I threw in the towel. If it were just about us I would have tried forever but we were affecting how we were around the boys and once I realized that I adapted again and moved on.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tossica » Tue May 19, 2015 10:07 am

Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby 10sun » Wed May 20, 2015 9:22 pm

I'm coming to live in your basement.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Gaazy » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:11 am

Sooo...how the hell is everyone? Dunno how long its been since i jumped on here..think its been at least 12 months. I am up above st louis now at a big coal operation doing purchasing. Livin in a nice quiet little farm town called Carlinville, IL. Good job, pays really really good and lots of bonuses and incentives. Cant argue with their insane 100% medical coverage (i literally pay 5$ total for 5 scripts). Live 8 mintes from work so fuck you gas.

First time in a long time im truly happy.

And the big factor there? No drugs. Over a year and a half clean as a whistle. I dont even think about it anymore, its just not there. And having to move to get away from it has saved my life but still a tough one to swallow. Oh well, the folks round here wouldnt know the difference in an aspirin and a percocet, so whatever.

Hows everyone hangin in?

From what i scanned from the past few posts:
Savanna - grats on nursing stuff. My moms an ICU open heart recovery nurse for 20 years
Tossicca - grats on the house buddy, enjoy it
Jay - try not to let it get ya down man. Nothing to be embarrassed about one bit. It happens
10sun - grats on the basement score

Edit: oh Harri, grats on the schooling stuff, glad youre doing well
Gaazy
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby 10sun » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:31 pm

Getting married in like 7 weeks.
I believe everything is all set aside from getting a suit.
I'll probably visit the tailor this weekend to get that addressed.

It is good to hear you are doing well.
I packed my little brother off to rehab two months ago and he had his first family day this past weekend. He is doing well, but he made the commitment to stay for 13 months and we are holding him to it.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Jay » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:14 am

Doc told me that while management of my heart stuff has been optimal, I'm getting to that point where it's not going to improve anymore and I have to install a defibrillator. I guess there's 2 kinds. One that sits under the skin and the weave the wires right into the tissue or the traditional one with 2 wires directly into the heart. Fun stuff!

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:56 pm

what's your heart stuff about? a-fib or v-fib?

i have (extremely!) intermittent a-fib; in about 8 years there's only been two episodes that required any sort of medical intervention, and it was usually just "here pop a couple of these and wait an hour, then let us know if it doesn't stop"

on the other hand it's nice to know how you're eventually going to go out (stroke)
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Jay » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:26 pm

I have congestive heart failure. I've been on a slew of meds since 2010 and it's been good. I'm at the stage now where the doctor says I'm doing all right but I'm not improving past where I am now because I will just continue to age and I could reach a level of dangerous arrythmias. My ejection fraction is really low, (low 40's) but it steadily improved to that point. I dunno if it's a-fib or v-fib.

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

PreviousNext

Return to Cap's Alehouse