Re: Life updates

Postby Drem » Fri May 25, 2018 11:45 am

congrats dude!
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Harrison » Fri May 25, 2018 1:38 pm

Thanks guys, still kinda in shock about it. I was shooting for the moon, in my mind, thinking this is way outside of my abilities right now.

I start on the 4th, just waiting for the NDA and whatnot to go through.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby brinstar » Fri May 25, 2018 9:06 pm

dude my man that is way cool for real

i've applied for like half a dozen dream jobs in the past year and only once did i even make it TO the first round of interviews let alone further than that
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Jay » Wed May 30, 2018 10:58 am

Harrison wrote:Thanks guys, still kinda in shock about it. I was shooting for the moon, in my mind, thinking this is way outside of my abilities right now.

I start on the 4th, just waiting for the NDA and whatnot to go through.

Nice! Crush it bro!
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Harrison » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:36 pm

First day completed at the new job.

It's so strange to me to be working in an office. Free food, coffee, drinks, gym on site, showers, locker room, cafe, etc.

Flexible hours; pretty much show up whenever convenient, put in your 8 hours, and then leave whenever.

I could get used to this lol
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Jay » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:04 am

Harrison wrote:First day completed at the new job.

It's so strange to me to be working in an office. Free food, coffee, drinks, gym on site, showers, locker room, cafe, etc.

Flexible hours; pretty much show up whenever convenient, put in your 8 hours, and then leave whenever.

Dope right? I was the same way when I got my first gig at a nice ass office. Then I was talking to some coworkers about where we could play D&D and the boss overhears us and says "You could just come here and use the conference room..." and that's when i was like ok this fucking rules.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Durothil Skyreaver » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:09 pm

Duro Jr. arrived Friday at 3:51pm. Only took 13 hours from start to finish. Mom and baby came home Monday and he is sleeping really well, and we're sleeping decently. 2 weeks of work left and then 2 months off to enjoy the baby and my new retro gaming set up.
Durothil Skyreaver
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Xaiveir » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:00 am

Holy crap, I remembered my login. Good to see some faces still around these parts! /wave hi guys.
Why fight it, i am a Man Whore!
Xaiveir
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby leah » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:27 am

hi friend! :balloons: :boots: :balloons:
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby leah » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:28 am

Durothil Skyreaver wrote:Duro Jr. arrived Friday at 3:51pm. Only took 13 hours from start to finish. Mom and baby came home Monday and he is sleeping really well, and we're sleeping decently. 2 weeks of work left and then 2 months off to enjoy the baby and my new retro gaming set up.

also garts on the new little dude!
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Xaiveir » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:31 pm

leah wrote:hi friend! :balloons: :boots: :balloons:

If it isnt the great and wonderful Leah! Hope you are doing well!
Why fight it, i am a Man Whore!
Xaiveir
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Jay » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:38 pm

I got a sous vide and this might literally be the greatest gift I’ve ever received. Also hi X and grats Duro and fam.

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:42 pm

man remember when you were v down and you kept slogging away even though it didn't seem like you'd ever get anywhere

look at you now :)
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby leah » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:50 am

brinstar wrote:

man remember when you were v down and you kept slogging away even though it didn't seem like you'd ever get anywhere

look at you now :)

YES!!! :balloons: :boots: :balloons:
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Harrison » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:43 pm

Thanks guys.

I still got a ways to go, but it's already paying off immensely. I don't know how much value a future employer places on an internship, but in terms of what I'm learning it's insane I'm being paid on top of it.

It's really foreign to me to be working somewhere that actually values you and your input. I come up with an idea to improve something or a problem that I can fix, and they don't immediately see if it can be done. (or if it's my solution, greenlight me to do it)
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby leah » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:11 am

this makes me so happy for you finawin

news update from me: both of my dogs died within 4 weeks of each other. i am adrift. </3
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Jay » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:18 pm

I still remember the "This is easy and I'm brilliant and I'm going to be the best at this thing" Harrison who would fail spectacularly and now I'm seeing a very humble "I can't believe they do this, this and this, this is all pretty cool but I've got a ways to go..." Harrison. The growth is remarkable but then again you've been the latter for years now. Grats man.

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby 10sun » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:33 am

Harrison wrote:Thanks guys.

I still got a ways to go, but it's already paying off immensely. I don't know how much value a future employer places on an internship, but in terms of what I'm learning it's insane I'm being paid on top of it.

It's really foreign to me to be working somewhere that actually values you and your input. I come up with an idea to improve something or a problem that I can fix, and they don't immediately see if it can be done. (or if it's my solution, greenlight me to do it)

Wait until they start dumping their problems on you and expect results on top of your normal and they want you to follow their formalized problem solving methodology even if it doesn't fit.
Working on a fucking software development project using LSS instead of SCRUM on my Sunday afternoon.
Oh! and the VP of IT told me that I need to tailor my report out based upon his report out. Annoyed.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Hatak » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:32 pm

Whoa, Xaiv! Haven't seen you in a long time!

I could give an update of the rollercoaster of my life the past few years, but not sure if anyone remembers Hatak. (Other than Xaiv, of course.)
Hatak
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby Trielelvan » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:45 am

Happy 2018, you guys.
I haven't popped in here in a long time, but July 4th got me wondering if the President Whitmore would still be gracing this board with his annual post. I'm very happy to see the tradition continues.
I've thought of this place often and fondly. It's insane to think we're approaching 20 years since EQ's original release... holy shit we're old. lol

Congratulations on the new baby, Duro!
Congrats, Harrison, on your new position! Working in a nice office definitely has a lot of perks.

I checked the real life section... some things never change. Ah well...

My condolences to all who have experienced hardship and heartache. I sincerely hope your journey continues to bring new happiness into your lives.

Leah, I am so sorry about your dogs. ❤️

So we're living in a real life version of "Idiocracy" these days... I don't even know where to begin...
Be kind to one another. We could all use a little more of that these days.
I hope everyone is doing well.
HyPhY GhEtTo MaMi wrote:GeT ofF mAh OvaRiEz
Trielelvan
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Jay » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:41 am

Trielelvan wrote:Happy 2018, you guys.
I haven't popped in here in a long time, but July 4th got me wondering if the President Whitmore would still be gracing this board with his annual post. I'm very happy to see the tradition continues.
I've thought of this place often and fondly. It's insane to think we're approaching 20 years since EQ's original release... holy shit we're old. lol

Congratulations on the new baby, Duro!
Congrats, Harrison, on your new position! Working in a nice office definitely has a lot of perks.

I checked the real life section... some things never change. Ah well...

My condolences to all who have experienced hardship and heartache. I sincerely hope your journey continues to bring new happiness into your lives.

Leah, I am so sorry about your dogs. ❤️

So we're living in a real life version of "Idiocracy" these days... I don't even know where to begin...
Be kind to one another. We could all use a little more of that these days.
I hope everyone is doing well.

Whoa, hi Triel!

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Trielelvan » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:45 am

Jay wrote:Whoa, hi Triel!

Lol hi Jay! :)

Congrats on getting remarried btw. That made me smile to read.
HyPhY GhEtTo MaMi wrote:GeT ofF mAh OvaRiEz
Trielelvan
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby brinstar » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:57 am

hmm haven't updated in a minute i guess

• still putting out job apps when cool positions open up, still getting nowhere. still at my current job though, so there's no real urgency
  • started working out regularly for the first time in like a decade. having trouble shaking off the love handles, but underneath the permanent winter layer my muscle tone has improved quite a bit and i'm feeling pretty good
  • still in 3.5 bands, and the one that was dormant for ~2 years recently reactivated and put together a half dozen new tunes. hoping to get a sophomore release out by next summer. the "main" band has been decimated in the membership department to the point where we literally can't perform live, so the focus now is on making a record. the other other band is making moves to record 2-3 more tunes and combine it with the digital-only EP to release a record in the spring. yay records!
  • spent some time a few weeks ago hiking around rocky mountain national park and arapaho national forest with the gf, sis, and sis's new boyf as well as other various family members. super good vaca.
  • going "glamping" this sunday for the gf's bday
  • mid-sept taking a couples' roadtrip down to great smoky mountain natl park for the better part of a week. hike around that shit, try and spot a bear, drink a gallon of whiskey, try and convince the crew to trek up to mammoth cave natl park
  • late sept going to SD for a climate conference, gonna pad the trip out a couple days in each direction so i can do some solo hikes and such in wind cave natl park, black hills natl forest, and badlands natl park. y'see, leah got me a 1yr natl park pass for xmas '17 and i'm trying to get as much use out of it as i can before it expires, but it's hard because most of the great plains is devoid of national parks:

• still enjoying my nintendo switch. currently playing hollow knight and that freemium fallout base management game. looking forward to the new smash bros and the HD switch release of DS1. also gonna grab salt and sanctuary when it comes to switch next friday, and will definitely scoop up octopath traveler the second the price dips under $40 (the demo owned). none of this enthusiasm holds a candle to how badly i want metroid prime 4 to come out though :(
  • gonna try and become a lyft driver within the next few weeks. mostly just gonna do it after work since i work downtownish, though i will probably post up downtown a couple weekend nights a month (and bring the switch in case it's slow). need some extra scratch for all these trips!
  • still enjoying the hell out of some D&D. DMing a game for leah + her bf + my gf + the aforementioned smokey mtns trip couple (we're doing curse of strahd for anyone familiar), i'm a first-time DM but 80% of my players are first-time players so it's going pretty well so far. the gf and i also play in a game run by a pal in omaha, i had a 3mnk/1dru multi who died saving the lives of my gf's ranger and the dm's gf's rogue, so i rolled up an eldritch knight half-orc (that i'm playing as close to an EQ shadowknight as possible) and we all just hit L5. also got invited to another omaha game that is all dungeon crawl all the time, so i made a halfling barbarian because lol
  • fall softball starts in 3 wks, we've still never won a championship but i've pushed my lifetime OPS up to 1.753 after retraining myself into an opposite-field hitter a few years back (it was north of 2.100 in five of the last seven seasons!) - and on the mound in one game back in may i notched a career-high 8 strikeouts by taking advantage of a gusty 20mph crosswind

think that's about it for now
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Jay » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:16 pm

We're planning a vacation soon. Gonna go to San Diego to visit some people, then visit my wife's sister in LA, then Disneyland, then drive to the Grand Canyon, then drive to Salt Lake Comic Con and then drive to Yosemite? Yellowstone? Whichever one is between Salt Lake City and Seattle, then driving back to Seattle.

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:06 pm

yosemite is right in the crook of the california elbow, yellowstone is northwestern wyoming

if you do yellowstone you should also do grand teton since they're right next to each other (fun fact: my gf was born in a ranger cabin somewhere in yellowstone, they couldn't get to the hospital because of wildfires!)
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

PreviousNext

Return to Cap's Alehouse