Life updates

Sidle up to the bar (Lightly Moderated)

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Re: Life updates

Postby Arlos » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:38 am

Jay wrote:Arlos why were you in the hospital for 10 days? You good?

Same crap that was hitting me in 2011. (stubborn subcutaneous strep infection in one calf called Cellulitis, that could have gone septic. Went in when my temp jumped from normal to 104.5 in 2.5 hours) Would have only been seriously life threatening if I hadn't gone in, most of my time in there was sitting on my ass getting IV antibiotics while being bored out of my mind. Doc said all looks good, but given my past history, I'm taking that with a grain of salt.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Drem » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:44 am

That sucks man, glad you're okay
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Arlos » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:09 am

The funny thing was, I had to check out early "against medical advice" for like 6 hours in order to make a job interview. 5th round of interviews with that company. Initial phone screen, 1st phone interview, 2nd phone interview, then a in-person interview that went for like 5+ hours. Would have wrapped it up then with 1 more meeting, but no such luck. That company wants every potential employee to interview with one of the founders, and none were in the office that day. So, had to meet with them Monday, but wasn't better yet. So, left the hospital, went to the interview, then went back to the hospital and checked back in again.

Now I'm just waiting to hear on the job. They must like me somewhat, or they wouldn't have had me for that many interviews. Plus, I figure if they were going to tell me to fuck off, they'd have done it already after that one on Monday. Saying No doesn't take long, working up an offer package can. At least that's what I'm telling myself to keep from going nuts waiting to hear. Would REALLY suck to get the job then have a relapse and have to delay my start date because of a hospital stay.... It never rains but it pours, right?

-Arlos

PS. Company is called Palantir (http://www.palantir.com/ ), and I'd be doing Tech Writing. Friend works there, great place to work, tons of freedom as long as you get your job done, etc. So, REALLY want the job. Gah. Can't pay TOO badly, as they wanted someone with a Master's degree. Keeping all relevant extremities crossed.
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby brinstar » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:02 am

Arlos wrote:The funny thing was, I had to check out early "against medical advice" for like 6 hours in order to make a job interview. 5th round of interviews with that company. Initial phone screen, 1st phone interview, 2nd phone interview, then a in-person interview that went for like 5+ hours. Would have wrapped it up then with 1 more meeting, but no such luck. That company wants every potential employee to interview with one of the founders, and none were in the office that day. So, had to meet with them Monday, but wasn't better yet. So, left the hospital, went to the interview, then went back to the hospital and checked back in again.

Now I'm just waiting to hear on the job. They must like me somewhat, or they wouldn't have had me for that many interviews. Plus, I figure if they were going to tell me to fuck off, they'd have done it already after that one on Monday. Saying No doesn't take long, working up an offer package can. At least that's what I'm telling myself to keep from going nuts waiting to hear. Would REALLY suck to get the job then have a relapse and have to delay my start date because of a hospital stay.... It never rains but it pours, right?

-Arlos

PS. Company is called Palantir (http://www.palantir.com/ ), and I'd be doing Tech Writing. Friend works there, great place to work, tons of freedom as long as you get your job done, etc. So, REALLY want the job. Gah. Can't pay TOO badly, as they wanted someone with a Master's degree. Keeping all relevant extremities crossed.

sounds like a nice place to work if you don't mind contracting with intelligence and defense
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Arlos » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:02 pm

Didn't get it. Galling, because coding skills were cited as a reason why, and I'm actually pretty good at Java, just rusty as hell from lack of use. Fucking hell.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Gaazy » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:19 am

:-x
Gaazy
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Tossica » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:51 am

Bummer, dude. Large gaps in employment are tough to overcome.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Menelvir » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:51 am

Arlos wrote:Same crap that was hitting me in 2011. (stubborn subcutaneous strep infection in one calf called Cellulitis, that could have gone septic.

My wife recently had the same issue. I was relieved to find out it was cellulitis, because my initial thought based on its appearance was that it was DVT, which would have been significantly more worrisome.

Sorry to hear you did not get the job. :(
"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." - The Dalai Lama
Menelvir
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Gaazy » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:18 am

im trying to remember if cellulitis is the same thing my great uncle had when he died. His legs had cracked open and bled and bled and bled
Gaazy
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby 10sun » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:30 pm

Speaking of unemployment and cellulitis...

My grandmother died of acute Cellulitis complications earlier this year.

It was a sudden bought, one day she was going on day trips through the Hudson Valley with my father & his siblings.
The next day, her leg was infected and she went into the hospital.
The day after, her leg was septic.
The following day, they took her to the burn unit and debrided her leg to the knee.
Three days passed and it seemed like she was recovering.
Then the signs of infection started showing up in her other leg and she followed the same process.
The cycle of infection showing up followed by rapid onset of symptoms continued for almost 40 days resulting in the loss of both of her legs, an entire arm, and the other arm to the elbow before she said enough and was put on hospice care.

Luckily it was while I was unemployed, so I could spend the time with her.

My last conversation with her started with her asking, "Adam, do you remember the time I beat you with a tennis racket?" and I answered, "which time?" which lead to her having a good laugh and the nurse cracking up.

We had a big family memorial service a few months later in NJ and it was revealed at that time that her estate was setup so that my extended family could all travel to the UK to have a memorial service and inter her ashes in the family plot next spring.

Other than that, new job, awesome girlfriend, going to Detroit for the weekend to see Dave Chappelle & Flight of the Concords.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Tossica » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:56 am

My new babies
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Ganzo » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:55 am

Tossica wrote:Image

My new babies

:wtf: am I looking at in this picture?
גם זה יעבור

Narrock wrote:Yup, I ... was just trolling.

Narrock wrote:I wikipedia'd everything first.
Ganzo
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Drem » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:09 pm

look like some real deal speakers or terribly made book shelves
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tossica » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:44 pm

Very large and powerful speakers.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Gypsiyee » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:06 pm

better late than never..
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
"I think you may be confusing government running amok with government doing stuff you don't like. See, you're in the minority now. It's supposed to taste like a shit taco." - Jon Stewart
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby brinstar » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:44 pm

hella nice ^^^

i just finished the first of three semesters toward my teaching certificate, final score: 431 points out of 435
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Gypsiyee » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:55 am

what are you going to teach?
"I think you may be confusing government running amok with government doing stuff you don't like. See, you're in the minority now. It's supposed to taste like a shit taco." - Jon Stewart
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Ganzo » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:29 pm

Whatever it is I weep for the students.
גם זה יעבור

Narrock wrote:Yup, I ... was just trolling.

Narrock wrote:I wikipedia'd everything first.
Ganzo
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby brinstar » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:17 pm

eat a dick ganzo

mr. brinstar, 11th grade english
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Gaazy » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:59 pm

I've been a stranger lately here. Been on a last effort sales trip for a few weeks all across the region and the region of Illinois and Indiana as well trying to save the company and dig up some work. Things are not looking good, unfortunately. But, you can only do what you can do, so I guess I'll just have to see what happens, I've done about all I can do at this point.

Other than that, what's new niglets? Hope everyone's well and has a happy holidays and more importantly, a safe one.
Gaazy
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Jay » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:53 am

Life's been hard for you I'm sure Gaazy since they just booted you from Duck Dynasty.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tossica » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:28 pm

Grats, Gyps!

Pics of my new art space/event center!

http://www.discodevils.com/2013/12/upda ... e.html?m=1
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Gaazy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:29 pm

hey fuck you Jay lol
Gaazy
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Narrock » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:47 pm

Jay wrote:Life's been hard for you I'm sure Gaazy since they just booted you from Duck Dynasty.

Hahaha
“The more I study science the more I believe in God.” -- Albert Einstein
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby 10sun » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:24 pm

Just booked flights to Dublin, Ireland to inter my grandmother's ashes in May.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

PreviousNext

Return to Cap's Alehouse