My Son is Gay

Sidle up to the bar (Lightly Moderated)

Moderator: Dictators in Training

My Son is Gay

Postby Jay » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:20 am

http://nerdyapplebottom.com/2010/11/02/my-son-is-gay/

My son is gay. Or he’s not. I don’t care. He is still my son. And he is 5. And I am his mother. And if you have a problem with anything mentioned above, I don’t want to know you.

I have gone back and forth on whether I wanted to post something more in-depth about my sweet boy and his choice of Halloween costume. Or more specifically, the reactions to it. I figure if I’m still irked by it a few days later, I may as well go ahead and post my thoughts.

Here are the facts that lead up to my rant:

1. My son is 5 and goes to a church preschool.
2. He has loved Scooby Doo since developing the ability and attention span to sit still long enough to watch it.
3. Halloween is a holiday and its main focus is wearing a costume.
4. My son’s school had the kids dress up, do a little parade, and then change out of costumes for the rest of the party.
5. Boo’s best friend is a little girl
6. Boo has an older sister
7. Boo spends most of his time with me.
8. I am a woman.
9. I am Boo’s mother, not you.

So a few weeks before Halloween, Boo decides he wants to be Daphne from Scooby Doo, along with his best friend E. He had dressed as Scooby a couple of years ago. I was hesitant to make the purchase, not because it was a cross gendered situation, but because 5 year olds have a tendency to change their minds. After requesting a couple of more times, I said sure and placed the order. He flipped out when it arrived. It was perfect.

Then as we got closer to the actual day, he stared to hem and haw about it. After some discussion it comes out that he is afraid people will laugh at him. I pointed out that some people will because it is a cute and clever costume. He insists their laughter would be of the ‘making fun’ kind. I blow it off. Seriously, who would make fun of a child in costume?

And then the big day arrives. We get dressed up. We drop Squirt at his preschool and head over to his. Boo doesn’t want to get out of the car. He’s afraid of what people will say and do to him. I convince him to go inside. He halts at the door. He’s visibly nervous. I chalk it up to him being a bit of a worrier in general. Seriously, WHO WOULD MAKE FUN OF A CHILD IN A COSTUME ON HALLOWEEN? So he walks in. And there were several friends of mine that knew what he was wearing that smiled and waved and gave him high-fives. We walk down the hall to where his classroom is.

And that’s where things went wrong. Two mothers went wide-eyed and made faces as if they smelled decomp. And I realize that my son is seeing the same thing I am. So I say, “Doesn’t he look great?” And Mom A says in disgust, “Did he ask to be that?!” I say that he sure did as Halloween is the time of year that you can be whatever it is that you want to be. They continue with their nosy, probing questions as to how that was an option and didn’t I try to talk him out of it. Mom B mostly just stood there in shock and dismay.

And then Mom C approaches. She had been in the main room, saw us walk in, and followed us down the hall to let me know her thoughts. And they were that I should never have ‘allowed’ this and thank God it wasn’t next year when he was in Kindergarten since I would have had to put my foot down and ‘forbidden’ it. To which I calmly replied that I would do no such thing and couldn’t imagine what she was talking about. She continued on and on about how mean children could be and how he would be ridiculed.

My response to that: The only people that seem to have a problem with it is their mothers.

Another mom pointed out that high schools often have Spirit Days where girls dress like boys and vice versa. I mentioned Powderpuff Games where football players dress like cheerleaders and vice versa. Or every frat boy ever in college (Mom A said that her husband was a frat boy and NEVER dressed like a woman.)

But here’s the point, it is none of your damn business.

If you think that me allowing my son to be a female character for Halloween is somehow going to ‘make’ him gay then you are an idiot. Firstly, what a ridiculous concept. Secondly, if my son is gay, OK. I will love him no less. Thirdly, I am not worried that your son will grow up to be an actual ninja so back off.

If my daughter had dressed as Batman, no one would have thought twice about it. No one.

But it also was heartbreaking to me that my sweet, kind-hearted five year old was right to be worried. He knew that there were people like A, B, and C. And he, at 5, was concerned about how they would perceive him and what would happen to him.

Just as it was heartbreaking to those parents that have lost their children recently due to bullying. IT IS NOT OK TO BULLY. Even if you wrap it up in a bow and call it ‘concern.’ Those women were trying to bully me. And my son. MY son.

It is obvious that I neither abuse nor neglect my children. They are not perfect, but they are learning how to navigate this big, and sometimes cruel, world. I hate that my son had to learn this lesson while standing in front of allegedly Christian women. I hate that those women thought those thoughts, and worse felt comfortable saying them out loud. I hate that ‘pink’ is still called a girl color and that my baby has to be so brave if he wants to be Daphne for Halloween.

And all I hope for my kids, and yours, and those of Moms ABC, are that they are happy. If a set of purple sparkly tights and a velvety dress is what makes my baby happy one night, then so be it. If he wants to carry a purse, or marry a man, or paint fingernails with his best girlfriend, then ok. My job as his mother is not to stifle that man that he will be, but to help him along his way. Mine is not to dictate what is ‘normal’ and what is not, but to help him become a good person.

I hope I am doing that.

And my little man worked that costume like no other. He rocked that wig, and I wouldn’t want it any other way.

I respect the fact that the mom is letting her kid express himself, however, I think the whole blogging, vilifying everyone who commented on her choice, and posting a huge picture of him online makes me question whether or not it's really about the son anymore so much as it's about the mom trying to get some attention and portray herself as some sort of super progressive gay rights champion.

When she says the other moms who expressed "concern" were "bullying" I thought that was kinda stupid. Concern that an expressive child can be the subject of ridicule is a legit issue. Anyways, what do you all think?
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Re: My Son is Gay

Postby Tikker » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:52 am

tl;dr
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby 10sun » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:14 am

Cliff notes:

5 year old boy wants to be Velma from Scooby Doo for Halloween.
His mother relents & buys the costume.
Other mothers at a preschool party give her a hassle.
The mother accuses them of bullying blah blah blah.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby leah » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:46 am

10sun wrote:Cliff notes:

5 year old boy wants to be Velma from Scooby Doo for Halloween.
His mother relents & buys the costume.
Other mothers at a preschool party give her a hassle.
The mother accuses them of bullying blah blah blah.

daphne, not velma.

anyway, i thought it was nice to put on spotlight on the fact that the kids aren't always the problem; the parents can be just as bad. or worse, as kids learn such attitudes/behaviors from their parents. i don't know how i feel about attaching a photo of the kid, but then again i guess that's the constant dilemma with the realm of mommyblogging: is it OK to post pictures of and personal details about your kids when they're too young to give their permission? the internet is a crazy place and idk how i'd feel if my parents had posted my business for all the world to see when i couldn't give it the green light.

i digress. good for her for letting her kid be who he is without freaking out about OMFG MY SON IS A QUEERBOT and, more importantly, for not really giving a shit if he does in fact turn out to be a queerbot. :boots:
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Evermore » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:04 pm

he is 5. no way he knows if he is gay or not and frankly, who cares? let the kid express himself.
For you
Evermore
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby leah » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:54 pm

Evermore wrote:he is 5. no way he knows if he is gay or not and frankly, who cares? let the kid express himself.

i think that's the entire point of the blog post, lol.
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby brinstar » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm

leah wrote:kids learn such attitudes/behaviors from their parents

actually i think THIS is the entire point of the blog post, lol

PS i busted out laughing when she said that one of the other moms insisted that omg HER husband was in a frat and had NEVER dressed in drag during college!!! yeah right lady, for all you know he ate the biscuit :rofl:
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Narrock » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:16 pm

wow, that lady is an idiot. :(
“The more I study science the more I believe in God.” -- Albert Einstein
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Arlos » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:25 pm

Which lady is the idiot? The one who let her kid dress up in the costume he wanted? Or the one who was bitching about the costume?

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Jay » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:18 pm

Arlos wrote:Which lady is the idiot? The one who let her kid dress up in the costume he wanted? Or the one who was bitching about the costume?

-Arlos

Lol like you have to actually ask...
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Narrock » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:20 pm

Arlos wrote:Which lady is the idiot? The one who let her kid dress up in the costume he wanted? Or the one who was bitching about the costume?

-Arlos

Um... the mom of course. Where's CPS when you really need them? :mystery:
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby leah » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:45 pm

Narrock wrote:

-Arlos

Um... the mom of course. Where's CPS when you really need them? :mystery:

CPS FOR LETTING A LITTLE BOY WEAR A DRESS?!

mindia... i just don't know what to say anymore. jeez.
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby brinstar » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:44 pm

I'm guessing CPS was probably busy handling real cases of actual child abuse.
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Drem » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:59 pm

as many halloweens at the bars and parties will confirm, any dude that dresses like a chick gets the most ass hands down and you're kidding yourself if you don't think so

i think this whole thread sucks. especially when mindia unsurprisingly took the side of being a corny square loser. that mom is absolutely right in calling those other stupid whores out for being stupid whores

the phrase "make someone happy today. mind your own business" comes to mind
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Narrock » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:21 pm

Drem wrote:as many halloweens at the bars and parties will confirm, any dude that dresses like a chick gets the most ass hands down and you're kidding yourself if you don't think so

i think this whole thread sucks. especially when mindia unsurprisingly took the side of being a corny square loser. that mom is absolutely right in calling those other stupid whores out for being stupid whores

What makes this thread suck, and damn near every other thread suck, is that the vast majority of you are leftists who don't have the ability to be objective and open-minded, and accept the fact that the majority of Americans don't think the same way you do. So, your typical recourse consists of nothing but mindless personal attacks like, "homophobic" or "right-wing extremist wackos" etc, ad nauseum. Oh the hypocrisy and irony...
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Gypsiyee » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:23 pm

To be fair, you're the one calling for child protective services for a woman letting her 5 year old wear what he wants for halloween. That's hardly open minded.
"I think you may be confusing government running amok with government doing stuff you don't like. See, you're in the minority now. It's supposed to taste like a shit taco." - Jon Stewart
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Drem » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:53 pm

Narrock wrote:
What makes this thread suck, and damn near every other thread suck, is that the vast majority of you are leftists who don't have the ability to be objective and open-minded, and accept the fact that the majority of Americans don't think the same way you do.

you'd be a lot happier if you stopped worrying about other people. you're such a silly cunt
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Narrock » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:19 pm

Drem wrote:
Narrock wrote:
What makes this thread suck, and damn near every other thread suck, is that the vast majority of you are leftists who don't have the ability to be objective and open-minded, and accept the fact that the majority of Americans don't think the same way you do.

you'd be a lot happier if you stopped worrying about other people. you're such a silly cunt

You'd be a lot happier if you weren't such a board troll.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Drem » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:34 pm

this coming from the mother of stubborn trolls :jerkit:
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Narrock » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:22 pm

Drem wrote:this coming from the mother of stubborn trolls :jerkit:

:nuts: keep takin those bong hits dude
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Drem » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:42 pm

sounds like a delicious plan :cool6:
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tossica » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:39 am

Narrock wrote:
Drem wrote:as many halloweens at the bars and parties will confirm, any dude that dresses like a chick gets the most ass hands down and you're kidding yourself if you don't think so

What makes this thread suck, and damn near every other thread suck, is that the vast majority of you are leftists who don't have the ability to be objective and open-minded, and accept the fact that the majority of Americans don't think the same way you do. So, your typical recourse consists of nothing but mindless personal attacks like, "homophobic" or "right-wing extremist wackos" etc, ad nauseum. Oh the hypocrisy and irony...

A majority of Americans are ignorant, assholes.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby brinstar » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:20 pm

prrreeeetttyyyy much

the worst part is that by the time all these dipshits die off, those of us with brains in our skulls will be too old to fully enjoy freedom from such pervasive dipshittery ;\
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Narrock » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:06 pm

brinstar wrote:prrreeeetttyyyy much

the worst part is that by the time all these dipshits die off, those of us with brains in our skulls will be too old to fully enjoy freedom from such pervasive dipshittery ;\

Your party takes away more freedoms than any other party.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby brinstar » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:15 pm

Narrock wrote:ABLOO ABLOO AR FREEDOMS :( :( :( :( :( :(

1. what freedoms have you "lost" exactly
2. you don't even know which party i'm in
3. kill yourself
compost the rich
brinstar