zodiac signs?

Sidle up to the bar (Lightly Moderated)

Moderator: Dictators in Training

zodiac signs?

Postby leah » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:25 pm

soooo explain something to me: why did zodiac signs change all of a sudden? did someone just arbitrarily decide to change them for some reason, or is there a legit astrology reason behind it?

i went from capricorn to sagittarius. i don't really think either one fits my personality all that well :\
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Re: zodiac signs?

Postby Tuggan » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:06 pm

zodiac signs haven't changed. it's that other voodoo star space shit that silly girls believe in that nobody in the western world follows that has changed.
Tuggan
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby brinstar » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:32 pm

leah wrote:soooo explain something to me: why did zodiac signs change all of a sudden? did someone just arbitrarily decide to change them for some reason, or is there a legit astrology reason behind it?

i went from capricorn to sagittarius. i don't really think either one fits my personality all that well :\

legit science - has to do with the earth's tilt i think? there was just a story about how some airports had to repaint their runways because the degree of approach no longer matches the alignment the runways had when they poured them

taurus -> aries for me lol

EDIT: which is not to say i put any stock in astrology lol
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Drem » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:32 am

this whole internet debacle stems from some tiny article where an astronomer said astrologers are basically behind the times and lame and that astronomers actually use 13 constellations to calculate the position of the sun. somehow that turned into massive identity crisis, 17 new tattoo removal shops downtown and something about Ophiuchus

now we're finding out most people didn't know there were two systems for the zodiac and the difference is really stupid: it's the earth's position in relation to background stars (sidereal) vs. the earth's position in relation to the rest of our solar system (tropical). but then again, so is astrology in general

bill nye did a segment about this on the eyes of nye: anyone that watches the sun rise on their birthday should know what their zodiac is. according to my official charts and documents, they say that on my birthday the sun should rise thru capricorn. and it did. 2,000 years ago when the babylonians made all this shit up....
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Griever » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:16 am

I don't get why this is a big deal. When I was born on June 12th my zodiac sign fell between the dates for Gemini, so shouldn't it stay Gemini no matter what tilt, rotation, circumference, whatever?
Griever
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Tossica » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:15 pm

Griever wrote:I don't get why this is a big deal. When I was born on June 12th my zodiac sign fell between the dates for Gemini, so shouldn't it stay Gemini no matter what tilt, rotation, circumference, whatever?

Nice birthday.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Drem » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:07 pm

Griever wrote:I don't get why this is a big deal. When I was born on June 12th my zodiac sign fell between the dates for Gemini, so shouldn't it stay Gemini no matter what tilt, rotation, circumference, whatever?

this only affects people following the sidereal zodiac apparently, and since the western world follows the tropical zodiac, there's absolutely no change for us whatsoever as we base our dates on the equinox, not the sun's ecliptic
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:02 pm

space is fucking cool, i'll tell you that much
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Griever » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:17 pm

I don't even believe in astrology, I'm just sick of seeing all over facebook and hearing about it on the radio.
Griever
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Drem » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:22 pm

it's horrible. the amount of people that actually think this affects them personally is sad/hilarious
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby leah » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:39 pm

jeez louise, i just wondered what the big deal was--didn't mean to unleash yet another thread of grumpiness. /sigh
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Yamori » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:19 pm

I still am amazed how many remarkably non-stupid people genuinely believe this astrological bunk. :mystery:
-Yamori
AKA ~~Baron Boshie of the Nameless~~
Yamori
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Drem » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:31 pm

people love being told how to think
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Return to Cap's Alehouse