Magic the gathering

Sidle up to the bar (Lightly Moderated)

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Magic the gathering

Postby Spazz » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:45 pm

Off and on I have played since the end of 6th grade or so. As of late ive been playing again and was wondering if any of you guys here play or used to play. If ya did what colors and cards did you like? My fave cards are pump cards like crusade or glorious anthem. My decks are usually green and white.
WHITE TRASH METAL SLUMMER
Why Immortal technique?
Perhaps its because I am afraid and he gives me courage.
Spazz
Osama bin Spazz
Osama bin Spazz

Re: Magic the gathering

Postby Jay » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:39 pm

Buried alive deck back in the Ice Age days. I also played an En'kor based deck during Stronghold and a counterspell deck during 4th or 5th (I forget) and Weatherlight but mostly stuck with black and red.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Zanchief » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:14 pm

I still play from time to time. I have a few decks that I've had for a while like Gobs and stuff. I play almost all colors, like blue and black prob the best.

I have a fun Tunnel Vision deck that most people hate. I just stick cards under peoples deck (preferably restricted cards) with spells like Ransack or hinder and just cast tunnel vision for the card I put there. The rest is just blue white control. Doesn't always work but it's fun annoying people.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Spazz » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:52 pm

I prefer brawling to control. Im not to happy about the new planeswalker cards they have aded in either. My fave sets that i have played are the urzas and tempest cycles. I came back to the game during the alara block, Wished i would have been playing the ravinica block a lot of the cards ive bought at the shop for random decks come from that cycle. Im feeling pretty pumped about m12 coming out in july too.

Ive got a goblin deck i made just to be an ass recently thats almost all rares and tri colored.
Why Immortal technique?
Spazz
Osama bin Spazz
Osama bin Spazz

Postby 10sun » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:45 pm

I had a white green control deck, it was pretty much a winter orb lockdown bringing out huge artifacts, balance, and then titania's song.

I used to dominate group games with that deck.

My 1.0 tournie deck was simple red-blue controlled burn (with a spec of white for StPs & Disenchants). I didn't have any of the huge power cards, but I had enough to win 7 of the 9 tournies I played in. I still remember one tournie I was in...
Me: Volcanic Island
Opponent: no land, Black Lotus, Mox Jet, hippy + unholy strength.
His turn: me: lightning bolt.
My turn: Plateau + Disenchant on his Mox.
Him after draw: concede.

For me it was always about the small power cards. Swords to Plowshares, Disenchant, Lightning Bolt, Terror, Counterspell, etc.

Another fun deck for me after uh... Weatherlight? came out was a deck based around Palinchrons, Puppet Strings, High Tide, & Capsize. Monocolor return all your opponent's cards in play to his hand.

Now, I play every couple of months with my friends with a blue deck I built that has some card you can enchant a creature to tap it or untap it for 1 mana. Use that on a Tim & you've got directed fire to rip shit apart.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Nusk » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:53 pm

i havent played since ice age on a good note i sold my black loti to some dipshit in hongkong with more money than sense
Nusk
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby Zanchief » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:50 pm

Spazz wrote:I prefer brawling to control.

I play both. I like making theme decks rather then just straight power decks with good cards, or rehash of popular decks/cards online.

Spazz wrote: Ive got a goblin deck i made just to be an ass recently thats almost all rares and tri colored.

If you're looking for a cheap way to improve your Gobbies, put gem palm incinerator. They aren't worth anything but they will win you a game. DD plus card draw for two mana. Clear the word of some early blockers so your gobs don't die. Gem Palm Incinerator has won me many a game.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Arlos » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:08 pm

I haven't played MTG since about Alliances.

I do, however, play a competing TCG, the World of Warcraft TCG, which I like a lot. I'm actually going to vegas for the national championships in less than a week now.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Spazz » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:03 pm

Yea i hate stealing peoples deck ideas on line.

My goblin deck is stayin rare cuz a goblin deck of all rares is funny to me. Next things going in are going to be 4 blood tusk leige and 4 goblin chieftains .

My fave decks im playing right now are prolly my elf deck or my squirrel deck. I got a really nasty discard deck goin with grindstones and megrim but i dont find that syle of game as fun.

Also another good combo for annoying your friends is horse shoe crab , quicksilver dagger, and sigil of sleep.
Why Immortal technique?
Spazz
Osama bin Spazz
Osama bin Spazz

Postby Spazz » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:07 pm

Actually that gem palm incinerator is pretty wicked. I might have to put a few of those in there just to be slick.
Why Immortal technique?
Spazz
Osama bin Spazz
Osama bin Spazz

Postby Zanchief » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:35 pm

Another unnoticed bonus is that since cycle is an activated ability, it can only be countered with something like Void Slime. It's great on turn two or three for clearing the board of your opponents biggest creature and drawing a card.

Chieftains are awesome too. If you have a lot of pump you should probably invest in Warren Instigators. They're just nasty.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Spazz » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:28 pm

thats just a fancy name for a goblin lackey
Why Immortal technique?
Spazz
Osama bin Spazz
Osama bin Spazz

Postby Drem » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:53 pm

i only use one deck anymore and it's only good in a 1v1 game

it's basically the "Doran Smash" deck on this page and it's a lot of fun to play. the nameless inversions and profane commands are great to have up your sleeve, and the harbingers really shine because there are so many treefolk and changelings http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/stan ... ts_Up.html

only thing i can't fill out are the murmuring bosks, only ever found 1. but i also don't have any other cards. i just picked this deck and spent like 3 months finding all the cards for it... birds are paradise are worth way too much :(
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Spazz » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:11 pm

Ive played off and on forever and i have never pulled a single birds of paradise out of a pack. Last I checked they were like 10 bucks a card. Wish i had a lot of them maybe some day...
Why Immortal technique?
Spazz
Osama bin Spazz
Osama bin Spazz

Postby Drem » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:13 am

ya i paid 8 per old version. new version's a little cheaper
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Zanchief » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:57 am

I think I have 15 birds of paradise. I keep getting them and I don't use them.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Drem » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:17 pm

they're nice for decks that you wanna get out the gates really quick. in my deck in particular most people try to kill them pretty fast so cairn wanderer is almost always guaranteed flying
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Spazz » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:15 pm

Mana ramp is good for just about every deck.

Another card im really fond of using is the wellwisher.
Why Immortal technique?
Spazz
Osama bin Spazz
Osama bin Spazz

Postby Zanchief » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:52 pm

I like Cultivate and Kodama's reach in green. I like birds alright, but they just die a lot. I don't play a lot of three color or more decks which they're better in. I tend to stay mono/duo color. I have enough mana problems in two color decks.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Spazz » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:01 pm

Mono decks are great to play against when youve got grindstones going. Ive got 28 decks goin and almost all of them are at least 2 color. I pair almost everything with green or white. Im a big fan of weenie decks. I try when i play to overwelm my opp and attack early and often.
Why Immortal technique?
Spazz
Osama bin Spazz
Osama bin Spazz

Postby Spazz » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:05 pm

While we are talking magic lets talk about cards we hate now. Not cars we hate to play agsint but cards when we open a pack we think WTF is this shit and why did they make it.

I hate the scaled wurm, hill giant , and walls/ shit with defender. I also really hate the wire cat and dont know why its uncommon. Thats just the first few that came to mind. I also think the brass man is a huge pos.
Why Immortal technique?
Spazz
Osama bin Spazz
Osama bin Spazz

Postby 10sun » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:17 am

Brass man is pure win.

Old ruling, you could pay his activation over and over again.

That + Fire Whip = artifact fireball.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Zanchief » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:14 am

I hate that they make some cards strictly worse then others. They should have some guiding principle with their cards.

Here's an example.

Vampire Nighthawk and Moonglove Winnower.

The Moonglove Winnower isn't even that bad a card, but they're both uncommon, both 2/3 both have deathtouch, but the vampire also have flying and lifelink, and the kick in the pants? Vampire Night hawk costs 1 less.

Power creep is getting pretty bad. Stuff like Phyrexian Obliterator ( http://www.cardkingdom.com/catalog/item/184399 ) make a lot of cards obsolete.

I also dislike cards where you only gain life and nothing else. Lifegain is a suckers game. You'll just lose it twice as quick if your board position stinks.

I hate cards that let your opponent draw cards, especially ones that let your opponent draw first like Howling Mine. Actually I think Howling Mine is my least favorite card. You have to draw it, play and get the benefit last. So basically before you've made any advantage with it, you've wasted 2 mana and your opponent has drawn two extra cards. Terrible card.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Spazz » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:07 pm

I owuld totally agree with you about the howling mine. I really hate cars that help my opp as much as they help me. I also hate creatures that dont do shit. I dont care how much they cost creatures that dont have some ability are useless.

Im really a big fan of pump and tokens. I could be wrong and there could be one but i really want a mobilization for goblins.

I miss the gold old days. I really liked tempest and urzas alot. I think a lot of creatures of really gotten to be way to powerful.

Heres my current wishlish im hoping to get for my birthday

4elvish arch druid
6 imperious perfect
3 elvish champion
6 elvish promenade
4 jorga warcaller
4 wirewood lodge
4 steely resolve
4 gaeas anthem
4 lys alana huntmaster
4 well wisher

Yea I want to make another elf deck and add a few improvements to the one im running now as well. I hate taking decks apart like to have options and like to play tournements with myself when no one else is around to play with. My goal is to have 32 decent decks laying around at all times and im 4 short atm
Why Immortal technique?
Spazz
Osama bin Spazz
Osama bin Spazz

Postby Arlos » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:04 pm

Heh, I started at Unlimited/Arabian Nights, so I remember when Serra Angel, Sengir Vampire and Shivan Dragon were all awesome creatures. I remember Ice Age hitting and Necropotence decks dominating the universe, pretty much.

I still recommend you guys check out the WOW TCG sometime. I've been enjoying it more than I ever liked Magic, to be honest.

http://www.wowtcg.com/

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Next

Return to Cap's Alehouse