Magic the gathering

Sidle up to the bar (Lightly Moderated)

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Re: Magic the gathering

Postby Zanchief » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:42 pm

Gypsiyee wrote:not cool enough for the actual magic community and too nerdy for the real world, but we downloaded the ps3 version a few weeks ago--highly addictive, but not sure I'd be any good at playing with my own deck. of course, so far as I can tell the PS version is going to have pretty obvious limitations in deck customization.

some of the little tidbits of lore that are offered up are pretty interesting, though--that was always my favorite part of any game was the lore. the PS version doesn't really offer enough to grasp the entire storyline though.

Each expansion has a novel that tells the entire story. They are, by all accounts, poorly written and bad. A friend of mine read them all for fun. I don't think that would be fun.

The Duel of the planeswalker is ok at simulating the MTG experience, but for me it's all about deck building, and you just don't get that with that game. Fun to kill a few hours though.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Gypsiyee » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:02 am

Jonathan and I picked up a few decks a couple years back, but it was a lot to learn and I ended up just getting frustrated because neither of us had ever played and we were trying to learn against each other.

The positive side of learning it on the PS, I guess, is that I'm getting a firmer grasp on it. I figure once I understand it better, it'd be easier to play and build a deck of my own without getting agitated. I just decided when we were learning back then that it just wasn't for me because I had no motivation to learn it, but having the PS version has piqued my interest again.
"I think you may be confusing government running amok with government doing stuff you don't like. See, you're in the minority now. It's supposed to taste like a shit taco." - Jon Stewart
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Zanchief » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:28 am

Yea the rules are tricky and have gone through a lot of iterations. I know them pretty well now, but even amongst people who have been playing for like more then a decade we argue about stuff.

Stacks, and triggered abilities vs constant effects, priority with multiple triggered abilities and things like that can get a bit confusing.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Spazz » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:58 am

Fierce debates on weather or not you can do something break out when playing magic all the time. Rules change or get modified or have ruling on them often as well. It is a hard game to teach someone to play. With online help and booklets that even retards can follow I think they have learning pretty user friendly.

In other magic related news I pulled a jace and the vampire guy out of an m12 box early this morning.
WHITE TRASH METAL SLUMMER
Why Immortal technique?
Perhaps its because I am afraid and he gives me courage.
Spazz
Osama bin Spazz
Osama bin Spazz

Postby Menelvir » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:07 pm

I used to play 'Middle-earth: The Wizards' from ICE in the early/mid 90s -- I remember going to casual games and tournaments alike carrying around a small notebook full of printings of card errata and rules clarifications.

I see that now there's iPhone apps for MTG that do everything but play the game: Life Counting apps, dice-rolling apps, judge ruling charts, and deck builder apps. The next great MTG iPhone app is probably just waiting to be written. :cool6:
"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." - The Dalai Lama
Menelvir
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Previous

Return to Cap's Alehouse