Atkins diet

Sidle up to the bar (Lightly Moderated)

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Re: Atkins diet

Postby leah » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:24 pm

OMG maeya. do you have a Trader Joe's nearby? right now they're really pushing these super amazing tortilla chips that are made with yellow corn and sweet potatoes. the sweet potatoes give the chips this awesome flavor dimension that tastes SO SO GOOD with fancy salsas. i cannot recommend them enough!! yum, yum, yum. also it's pretty safe to say that i would prefer a sweet potato over a regular potato in almost any situation except thanksgiving mashed potatoes. :boots:
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Maeya » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:21 pm

Not terribly close, but that sounds worth the drive! Currently, I am totally addicted to home made baked sweet potato fries with a little Cajun seasoning sprinkled on top. As a kid I used to totally love regular old white potatoes and was a total mashed potato fanatic, but now I don't see the appeal of them at all. Sweet potatoes for life! <3
Maeya
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby brinstar » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:53 pm

spuds4lyfe

must be the irish in me
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Durothil Skyreaver » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:35 pm

Nothing like coming back to NT after being absent for awhile and coming across some pure gold assclown antics.
Durothil Skyreaver
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Narrock » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:16 am

vonkaar wrote:
The song of Mindia.

Narrock wrote:I'm not misinformed about anything.
I know everything about the bible.

Narrock wrote:Would you like me to link a hundred + sites that validate my claims?
Would you like me to show you a hundred + verses that validate my bigotry?

Narrock wrote: I can do that, but I'd rather you just Google it yourself.
They don't actually exist, except in my twisted world.

Narrock wrote:I'm just trying to help people live a healthier lifestyle.
I think you are all going to burn in hell if you don't repent.

Narrock wrote:Again, for the dozenth time... Starchy carbs (maybe I should say "such as") bread, pasta, rice blahblahblahblah.
Blahblah abortion, blahblah death penalty, blahblah marijuana, blahblah liberal media, blahblah niggers

Second verse, same as the first.

:badrazz: :badrazz:

Take your meds, troll.
“The more I study science the more I believe in God.” -- Albert Einstein
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Narrock » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:40 am

Gypsiyee wrote:
Narrock wrote:
Gypsiyee wrote:I'm not sure if you know what a starchy carb is if you're getting all up in arms about what I said. Healthy low GI carbohydrates include a number of "starchy carbs": beans, legumes, rice, whole grains, whole wheat.. those are all starchy carbs. I think you're getting the phrase 'starchy carbs' confused with 'simple carbs.'

And if you think proper portions of whole grains are bad for you, then it's pretty clear that you've been misinformed.

I'm not misinformed about anything. Would you like me to link a hundred + sites that validate my claims? I can do that, but I'd rather you just Google it yourself. I'm just trying to help people live a healthier lifestyle. Again, for the dozenth time... Starchy carbs (maybe I should say "such as") bread, pasta, rice, and potatoes are what will have negative health effects on your body. Cut those out and you will be healthier, look better, and feel better, shed fat, and probably live longer. I'm just going to copy n paste this to all subsequent posts until it finally sinks in and the synapses in peoples brains finally make a connection.

actually, yes--I'd love you to. please link me 100+ reputable sites (ie, not Atkins or other low carb fad diet sites or their marketing counterparts) that show decades of scientific research touting how complex carbohydrates are bad for you and should not be a part of a balanced diet. Bonus points if you can give me a food pyramid endorsed by the FDA that advises cutting carbohydrates out of your diet.

It doesn't matter how many times you re-word what a starchy carb is. You're still confusing simple carbs for starchy carbs. Using vague terms such as bread, potatoes, pasta, etc, and saying that all of them are bad for you is an inaccurate statement. Overly processed versions that have stripped them of their nutrients aren't the best, that's true. Products that leave the grain intact, thereby maintaining the structure of the vitamins and fiber that lie within are both good for you and contain essential nutrients for a healthy lifestyle.

Skinny does not mean healthy. I started this conversation with you out of genuine concern and a simple word of caution, but since you're going the route of typical Mindia hemming and hawing like a donkey ignoring logic, reason, and black and white evidence, have at your fad diet. In a year or two, you'll be back at your start weight and no healthier than when you began.
Look, you're getting unnecessarily hung up about the terms "simple carbs" and "complex carbs." Forget about labels for a second. Just avoid or reduce your intake of the following FOODS if you want to be healthier (sorry I can't dumb it down any further): Potatoes, rice, pasta, and bread. That is using logic, deductive reasoning, factual nutritional data, and truth. Plain and simple. There's no "hemming and hawing" involved. And once again, there are some nutritional values to say potatoes, but the adverse effects on your body far outweigh the nutritional benefits. If you just can't live a life devoid of potatoes, then perhaps limit your intake of them. I also did Google and Yahoo searches that validate my claims, but I don't have the time to list them all. You know it, and I know it.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Narrock » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:44 am

leah wrote:OMG maeya. do you have a Trader Joe's nearby? right now they're really pushing these super amazing tortilla chips that are made with yellow corn and sweet potatoes. the sweet potatoes give the chips this awesome flavor dimension that tastes SO SO GOOD with fancy salsas. i cannot recommend them enough!! yum, yum, yum. also it's pretty safe to say that i would prefer a sweet potato over a regular potato in almost any situation except thanksgiving mashed potatoes. :boots:

We shop at TJ's every week, and one thing we USED to buy are the TJ brand of sweet potato fries, which are absolutely delicious. But again, not worth the long term detrimental effects on the body.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Menelvir » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:03 am

Taking care of yourself is all well and good, and I think aspiring to proper diet and exercise is admirable, but I think it's also worth noting that all the diet and exercise in the world probably won't help you much if you're hit by a truck.
"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." - The Dalai Lama
Menelvir
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby leah » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:33 am

Menelvir wrote:Taking care of yourself is all well and good, and I think aspiring to proper diet and exercise is admirable, but I think it's also worth noting that all the diet and exercise in the world probably won't help you much if you're hit by a truck.

diet and exercise also won't do a person much good if his insides are ugly.
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Narrock » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:42 am

leah wrote:
Menelvir wrote:Taking care of yourself is all well and good, and I think aspiring to proper diet and exercise is admirable, but I think it's also worth noting that all the diet and exercise in the world probably won't help you much if you're hit by a truck.

Lol you're such a hypocrite Leah. You preach how we should all be kind and loving and accepting and tolerant of one another, yet you think that anybody who doesn't have a liberal mindset or says anything contrary to liberalism is an ugly person on the inside. Classic textbook hypocrisy.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Jay » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:16 pm

Narrock wrote:
leah wrote:

Lol you're such a hypocrite Leah. You preach how we should all be kind and loving and accepting and tolerant of one another, yet you think that anybody who doesn't have a liberal mindset or says anything contrary to liberalism is an ugly person on the inside. Classic textbook hypocrisy.

Yo I'm not sure if you're trolling this time bit I think what she meant by "insides" is organs and guts and stuff and not conservative ideals.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby leah » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:40 pm

Narrock wrote:
leah wrote:

noooo no no no. you are wrong sir. there are millions of people out there who are conservative and are also not assholes. those people are good people inside, even if we disagree politically, and i have no problem recognizing the good inside of them. you, on the other hand, are hateful and vitriolic and delight in the misfortunes of those who don't agree with your beliefs, and are also so narrowminded that you struggle to even civilly agree to disagree with someone. it's actually painful at times to read some of the things you post because they are so ugly and hateful and mean, regardless of your political leanings.
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby leah » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:41 pm

also, jay, sorry to disappoint but i didn't mean guts, hehe. although as i was typing it, i just knew that someone would say something like that!
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Spazz » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:12 pm

noooo no no no. you are wrong sir. there are millions of people out there who are conservative and are also not assholes. those people are good people inside, even if we disagree politically, and i have no problem recognizing the good inside of them. you, on the other hand, are hateful and vitriolic and delight in the misfortunes of those who don't agree with your beliefs, and are also so narrowminded that you struggle to even civilly agree to disagree with someone. it's actually painful at times to read some of the things you post because they are so ugly and hateful and mean, regardless of your political leanings.

You tell em sister ! Christian conservatives have this persecution complex that is annoying and infuriating.
WHITE TRASH METAL SLUMMER
Why Immortal technique?
Perhaps its because I am afraid and he gives me courage.
Spazz
Osama bin Spazz
Osama bin Spazz

Postby Gypsiyee » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:41 pm

Narrock wrote:Look, you're getting unnecessarily hung up about the terms "simple carbs" and "complex carbs."

No, it's not an unnecessary hang-up since the distinction is quite important, especially when it's the very premise of why you're wrong in saying carbs make you unhealthy.

(sorry I can't dumb it down any further):

You've been told essentially the same thing by every single person who's responded to this thread, including a number of scholars, a nurse, a chef, and two people who have both done Atkins with a reasonable level of success in regards to weight loss.

No offense, but you're a trucker.. are you seriously presuming to condescend to all the educated and experienced people responding to you including a nurse that graduated summa cum laude? Actually, scratch that whole no offense part. You're a fucking uneducated trucker who has no idea what he's talking about per usual.

I also did Google and Yahoo searches that validate my claims, but I don't have the time to list them all. You know it, and I know it.

Which is Mindia for "I can't find a reputable source."

For all of your dumbing down, you'd think you'd be intelligent enough to just provide the link to the search string that yielded so many hits of such irrefutable evidence.
"I think you may be confusing government running amok with government doing stuff you don't like. See, you're in the minority now. It's supposed to taste like a shit taco." - Jon Stewart
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby 10sun » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:59 pm

Narrock wrote:I also did Google and Yahoo searches that validate my claims, but I don't have the time to list them all. You know it, and I know it.

I know the internet is a wonderful thing, but did you consider talking to a few doctors about this instead of simply going off of what google & yahoo results come up first?
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby brinstar » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:56 pm

look at you all

dumping food in the trolltrough ;\
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Phlegm » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:57 pm

Gypsiyee wrote: You're a fucking uneducated trucker who has no idea what he's talking about per usual.

Gyp, you forgot that he got a degree from the some online university that he claimed was equivalent of an ivy league school a while back.
Phlegm
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Spazz » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:54 pm

Im telling you the guy isnt real. Hes either someones idea of a joke or just a complete cartoon character. What he is an effective troll. While it pissed me off that he said im a hypocrite him ignoring me makes not dealing with him so much easier.

Ive fed him youve fed him weve all fed him and its time to just stop it. If he isnt a cartoon than hes so fucked up he isnt worth debating.

P.S speaking of trolls I miss the good old days when we all played eq and me and tuggan used to make that dude kuwen completely lose his shit every other day. I miss the olden days man this place used to be so entertaining. I remember him calling me a liberal redneck and at the time I thought it was a riot but looking on how I live and how I am he was totally right.

I used to get so stoned and post here and I couldnt event speak no english good. Askin garg about her trim and shit. Good times good times.

Wondering thoughts on the Nt
Why Immortal technique?
Spazz
Osama bin Spazz
Osama bin Spazz

Postby Gaazy » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:32 pm

Spazz wrote:
I used to get so stoned and post here and I couldnt event speak no english good. Askin garg about her trim and shit. Good times good times.

hehehe
Gaazy
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Spazz » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:07 pm

Ill have you know I typed it like that on purpose to be silly.
Why Immortal technique?
Spazz
Osama bin Spazz
Osama bin Spazz

Postby Gaazy » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:49 pm

hahaha i hear ya, just pickng at you
Gaazy
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Harrison » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:46 am

I get into arguments with my girlfriend about this shit all the time, actually. (not really arguments but I just heavily disagree with diets, especially ones such as these...)

I lost all of my weight from simple physical activity and very lax monitoring of what I ate. I suppose it's easier because I'm a man, but I just find diets a joke.

Exercise, and you're healthier, bam.

Dropping out entire sections of your nutritional intake? Ummm...derp. Terrible, terrible idea.

I also don't buy into the organic trend, at all. I think it's a crock of shit meant to rape your wallet.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Drem » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:18 pm

[hippy]

i agree with all of that except the organic part

if you wanna feed your plants basically radioactive weirdness like miracle grow and spray them with whack pesticides then go ahead

i'll feed mine bat guano, compost, and spray them with garlic/rosemary oil and plant dandelions and other things that keep bugs away because they're natural pesticides

you might be thinking of these things along the lines of simply shopping for groceries, in which case you're totally right. but for running a restaurant, buying these things in bulk isn't necessarily a big difference in price and you can physically see the difference in healthiness between sysco's refrigerated vegetables and using a local purveyor that has their veggies room-temp in a warehouse. you can just physically see the difference and the organic product always looks better

also i think people have the tendency to think bigger is better, but people pay more for micro greens and spring mix because when the plant is smaller the flavors are more concentrated. generally when you have anything (peppers are the best example) that's large it's going to be less intense than a smaller version of it. the little runt peppers are always the spiciest.... all my plants at my apartment are "organic" and are a lot smaller than my neighbors who all use miracle grow etc. and all of their herbs, while visually impressive, smell bitter like grass and their fruits are huge but not that tasty. they don't taste nearly as concentrated as mine, which are visually smaller

it's just a thing you have to test for yourself to really understand i guess. reading studies and scientific nonsense won't make you feel as good as just making a lemonade with small organic meyer lemons and then making one with huge albertsons lemons and noticing how much more bland and bitter it'll be....

sure, the alternative is acceptable because we're used to it, but there are better options. and before the last 100 years, all farming was organic. that says enough imo. people just invent all this shit to make it easier for fewer people to maintain a crop and have minimal loss. it's a business tactic. it works, for the business aspect, but your taste buds and your body are paying the price imo

when i go buy food i just get what i want, what i know makes me feel really good when i'm done eating it. cost is like that last thing i worry about. but i look at most things like that..... i'm not frugal

[/hippy]
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Harrison » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:45 pm

I go for taste. Some of the stuff I grow tastes better than what I buy, but it's not always the case.

Organic by and large is just a fad word now used to rape your wallet.

Not everything "organic" tastes better, is better for you, or any number of other imaginary bonuses made to sell it.

I know exactly what you mean though. Some of it really is good shit. I'm just not buying into the whole fad. I think it's a joke.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Cap's Alehouse