Phuck Vizio

Sidle up to the bar (Lightly Moderated)

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Phuck Vizio

Postby Narrock » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:51 pm

So, I was helping my dad install and configure their new 55" Vizio 120hz led-lcd tv, and the mutherfawking usb port isn't even active. Lololol. I went to vizio.com to see if there was a firmware or driver update for it, but there is none. Vizio said that the usb port is for "a later function." Haha tools. My 47" LG led-lcd has a crisper image, 4 hdmi ports, and an active usb port... great for downloading movies into the tv with a flash drive. Anyway, stay away from Vizio... Get an LG, you won't be disappointed. I'm urging my dad to return that pile of shit back to Costco.
Last edited by Narrock on Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The more I study science the more I believe in God.” -- Albert Einstein
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Re: Phuck Vizio

Postby Tossica » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:57 pm

Disappointed with electronics purchased at Costco? *surprise*.

PS. LG is bargain bin crap as well.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Narrock » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:18 pm

Tossica wrote:Disappointed with electronics purchased at Costco? *surprise*.

. Yeah, but for the money they are a good deal. I paid like 729 and love it. My same model has very high reviews.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Zanchief » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:28 pm

Costco just sells the same brand names as everyone else, they just have an awesome return policy. I buy my electronics from there if I have a choice.

Also, LGs are terrible dude. Sharp has the same prices as LG and they don't lick balls.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Tossica » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:30 pm

Zanchief wrote:

Costco just sells the same brand names as everyone else, they just have an awesome return policy. I buy my electronics from there if I have a choice.

Also, LGs are terrible dude. Sharp has the same prices as LG and they don't lick balls.

No, Costco sells the brands that they can get the best prices on. If you want a cheap, shitty, TV, go to Costco. Sharp are crap as well.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Narrock » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:55 pm

What is crappy about LG? It's edge-lit led-lcd, 120 hz, watching a movie or tv channel in full HD looks awesome. It's got a crystal clear picture. Heck, if it lasts 4 years and maintains the quality, then it waa worth the money. Oh, and I looked at a nice Mitsubushi at best buy, and it was 500 bucks more and mine looked just as good. Fortunately, with electronics nowadays, you dont need to buy "the best" in order to have a good quality product. Fuck Sony and Mitsubishi for their prices.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Tossica » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:12 pm

Yeah, and music through earbuds from an ipod sounds just as good as through a full range hi-fi. I get it. You want cheap, you got it. You can't tell the difference between TV's in a florescent lit Costco because ALL the TV's look like shit there. BRIGHT. Brighter does not equal better. You want to do a real side by side, go to a showroom with a space similar to your own living room and then do a side by side. The Sony, Panasonic, Mitsubishi, etc are more expensive for a reason. They generally ARE better. Are they that much better to justify the cost? That's a matter of opinion.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Zanchief » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:00 pm

They sell all those brands at Costco too, dork. The reason some brands are so expensive is because they have useless features like 3D or 4 colors or some useless smart tv internet widget crap. My Sharp looks great in my basement. I'm sure I could pay twice as much for something that's a bit nicer but no thanks. The 4k tvs of 5 years ago are selling for $700 now. It's all relative.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Narrock » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:13 pm

My main point though is... It's pretty pretty weak sauce to have a non-functioning USB port on your tv you advertise as having USB. SHAME! SHAME! SHAME!
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Spazz » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:18 pm

I got a 50 inch plasma Panasonic and Its the best Tv I have ever owned. Girl got it for me a couple years back when my old shitty one died. I was playing some ufc one night and it shot smoke and flame out the top of it. Prolly best gift I have ever gotten.
WHITE TRASH METAL SLUMMER
Why Immortal technique?
Perhaps its because I am afraid and he gives me courage.
Spazz
Osama bin Spazz
Osama bin Spazz

Postby Narrock » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:27 pm

lol @ plasma. I mean... If you're into your plasma, then that's all that matters. It's just that every plasma I've seen looks blurry compared to the crystal clear imagery you get with LED-LCD.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Spazz » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:00 pm

All I do is play games on it and it looks fine.
Why Immortal technique?
Spazz
Osama bin Spazz
Osama bin Spazz

Postby Tossica » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:18 pm

Narrock wrote:lol @ plasma. I mean... If you're into your plasma, then that's all that matters. It's just that every plasma I've seen looks blurry compared to the crystal clear imagery you get with LED-LCD.

If you had any to begin with, ALL credibility has now gone out the window.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Zanchief » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:33 pm

Toss is right. The problem with Plasma isn't the picture quality. For the most part it's better then LCD, it's just unreliable and has a very short shelf life. That's the reason they don't sell them anymore.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Tossica » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:01 pm

Zanchief wrote:Toss is right. The problem with Plasma isn't the picture quality. For the most part it's better then LCD, it's just unreliable and has a very short shelf life. That's the reason they don't sell them anymore.

Huh? Think you better do a little research on that one. Pioneer quit making them but they were only rebranded Panasonic anyway. 10-15yrs ago there were issues with burn in and picture quality deteriorating over time. The technology has matured and provides a major bang for the buck. The higher end models by Panasonic and Samsung are stunning. There isn't an LCD that comes close in the same price range. The LCD technology just isn't quite there yet.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Drem » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:27 am

i paid 400 bux for a samsung 42" plasma two years ago. i specifically wanted it because it was a brilliant display with zero extra features. like it can't even swivel on its base. the only thing i do is watch broadcast TV with an antenna and play xbox. it's had zero issues, doesn't burn, etc etc. i think the most annoying thing is when you're moving it (like moving residences moving) because it has to stay vertical like you were going to watch it or the plasma gets all fucked up. other than that i've got no complaints. it's got USB ports, VGA for my computer, two or three HDMIs, RCA, bla bla bla

the only real downside i can see is that it's 720p but the 1080 would've been a hundred or two hundred bucks more and i just dont really care. it looks fantastic and has a lot of nice settings, including a screen blur to make things softer that aren't HD (like my ps2)

it's true i would like an LED TV but the plasma is just as good. much better than LCD or any other brand's plasma even. the samsung was just really bright and really clean
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Zanchief » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:42 am

Tossica wrote:
Zanchief wrote:Toss is right. The problem with Plasma isn't the picture quality. For the most part it's better then LCD, it's just unreliable and has a very short shelf life. That's the reason they don't sell them anymore.

Huh? Think you better do a little research on that one. Pioneer quit making them but they were only rebranded Panasonic anyway. 10-15yrs ago there were issues with burn in and picture quality deteriorating over time. The technology has matured and provides a major bang for the buck. The higher end models by Panasonic and Samsung are stunning. There isn't an LCD that comes close in the same price range. The LCD technology just isn't quite there yet.

Well it took years for plasma purists to even admit there was a burning issue to begin with so put me in the skeptical camp on that one. Almost none are being made now, which makes me think it's not what you say it is. I don't trust plasma. It doesn't matter how much better the picture quality is.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby brinstar » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:28 am

i have a 50" panasonic plasma and i lurvz it

there is a slight image burn-in of a 3" dot in the middle of the screen, but only rarely is it noticeable

i got 10% off as an open item at best buy, guessing that's probably why

sometimes i think i should've paid the extra couple hundred bucks to get a brand new one but then i think pfff w/e it's still a great tv
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Tossica » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:33 pm

Panasonic plasma's are dope. That's what we have as well. Put it in THX Cinema mode and there was nothing in it's price range that came close.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby leah » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:51 pm

somehow we have all samsung TVs; we have a tiny baby 23-inch LCD in the bedroom, a 50-inch plasma in the living room (which has a wee bit of burn-in from josh playing all the way through dragon warrior in a few hours--you can still kind of see the character status bar thingies), and a 40-inch--or maybe 46-inch?--LCD in our half-story, aka the nerd hive. of the three, i prefer the big LCD because there's no fear of burn-in and it's the newest one. i'm very happy with samsung as a brand; we've never had any problems with any of the TVs, and they're very stylish and sleek!
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Spazz » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:14 pm

Yea dude got that 50 inch panasonic plasma and call of duty looks awesome everything I play looks good. Looking forward to getting skyrim some time in the near future.. Got the high def cable thingy. Wish I had awesome speakers for it but its all good.
Why Immortal technique?
Spazz
Osama bin Spazz
Osama bin Spazz

Postby Jay » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:21 pm

I have a 52" Bravia XRT5 because I'm Asian and if we don't buy into Sony's overpriced crap Buddha descends from Nirvana and curses us. I play games on a 23 inch Asus VH242H or on my old Wega CRT to bypass input lag.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Gypsiyee » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:49 am

Jay wrote:I have a 52" Bravia XRT5 because I'm Asian and if we don't buy into Sony's overpriced crap Buddha descends from Nirvana and curses us.

hah! I refused to buy a Bravia... friggin ridiculous on the price and we had a ton of other shit to buy, wasn't about to throw a bunch of money down the drain just for a name.

we have a 55" LG for the living room and love it. LG was #3 in consumer reviews behind sony and samsung the year we bought it, 2008 I think? I don't remember, just know we researched a lot before we got it. was like 1k less than the other two, had great reviews on amazon, and we haven't had any problems with it. standard definition channels have a little bit of pixelation if you sit really close, but we didn't buy a 1080p tv to watch standard def and we don't sit close enough to burn out our retinas so it's moot to us.

I will say that the Samsung we bought for the bedroom last year has a cleaner and crisper image than our LG, but had we not gotten a deal on it we probably would've gotten a smaller model of the tv we already had. ah, HHGregg.. the only electronics store left that you can hardball negotiate with the salesmen living off commission. love that store.
"I think you may be confusing government running amok with government doing stuff you don't like. See, you're in the minority now. It's supposed to taste like a shit taco." - Jon Stewart
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Narrock » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:34 am

Tossica, I know you're a videophile and an audiophile, and I will give credit where credit is due. Let me be more specific about my comment on plasma. Before we ended up buying the LG at Sam's Club, we looked at TV's at four different retailers (plus checked the consumer reviews at Newegg and Crutchfield.). I swear to God, even the 600hz plasmas WE looked at actually had a "fuzzy" picture quality, while the led-lcd's were crystal clear, brighter, crisper, sharper, more vibrant colors, etc. If you watch, say, "Avatar" on an led-lcd tv on blue ray disk, the difference between led-lcd and plasma is night and day. Now, it is quite possible that every single Plasma tv we looked at was a lemon, but I find that hard to believe. So, bottom line is that although plasma *may* be a "higher technology" it doesn't matter to me because the led-lcd has a clearer, crisper image. I need to go by what my eyes tell me, not what some "video expert" says, but every rep I talked to highly recommended the LG led-lcd coincidentally.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Zanchief » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:31 am

Narrock wrote:So, bottom line is that although plasma *may* be a "higher technology"

Well it's not a "higher" technology. It's a past technology that isn't used much anymore.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Next

Return to Cap's Alehouse