used games and gamestop.

Sidle up to the bar (Lightly Moderated)

Moderator: Dictators in Training

used games and gamestop.

Postby Spazz » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:58 pm

I keep reading about devs complaining about used game sales and it baffles me. When you sell a house you bought the architect and construction company dont get paid again, when you sell a car that you paid for ford doesnt get a piece of that transaction nor does the .... I cant figure out for the life of me once the game has been purchased from them why they think they should continue to make money off of a game they have already sold. What do you guys think ?
WHITE TRASH METAL SLUMMER
Why Immortal technique?
Perhaps its because I am afraid and he gives me courage.
Spazz
Osama bin Spazz
Osama bin Spazz

Re: used games and gamestop.

Postby Harrison » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:08 pm

Uncontrolled greed.

It's mostly EA bitching. Fuck EA.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Drem » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:26 am

Maybe everything should take a cues from steam sales and amuse bouche restaurant and sell good shit for reasonable prices. I guarantee any triple A game that starts at $20 bucks will reach more people and have better profits than this $60-for-a-new-game shit that only people with money to piss away can afford
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Drem » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:28 am

I havent paid for a new game in a decade except SSX and Skyrim. And they were so diappointing that i'll never buy another game for brand new face value again. I have no problem waiting for a few months to find it at 1/3 the price in a used game shop. Even if it's something i really want, like metro: last light
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:57 am

yum, new metro

anyway, agreed with all the above - i only buy used console games and i only shop steam sales

i know that behaviour hurts the gaming industry but honestly if it can't survive without selling ten million copies at $60 a pop then maybe it deserves to crash and burn so indie studios can rise up

(see also: my hatred of Big Music)
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Spazz » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:28 pm

Yea I dont buy very many games at 60 a pop at all. Thats a lot of money and a lot of them have no replay value at all. Bout the only thing i get on release dates are rockstar games cuz they have never sold me a piece of shit. Ive also never preordered a game because i feel like that doesnt give them any incentive not to make a shitty game if they are already paid for
Why Immortal technique?
Spazz
Osama bin Spazz
Osama bin Spazz

Postby Jay » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:08 pm

To me the 60 bucks I paid for a game goes mostly to the thing I care least about in gaming, which is graphics. I want decent graphics but if you're gonna give me phenomenal graphics to a shit game (ex: FFXIII) I'd rather the game just look shittier and have excellent gameplay. I gladly paid 60 a pop for each Uncharted game, Skyrim, and shit the amount of money I've spent on Street Fighter IV is embarrassing but to me it's been worth it.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby 10sun » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:33 am

In the past year I have purchased a few games.
Borderlands 2 & the season pass.
Farcry 3 (well actually it was a Christmas gift to me from my girlfriend).
GTA IV + expansions.
and about a dozen more under $10 apiece.

The ones under $10 apiece are the ones that I have a hard time justifying.
More often than not, they are grade A shit.
The real exception to that would be Just Cause 2 @ $2.99 from Steam. That was awesome for the price.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby brinstar » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:45 am

10sun wrote:Just Cause 2 @ $2.99 from Steam. That was awesome for the price.

wow dude that's a goddamn steal, that game was crazy fun
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Reynaldo » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:28 pm

I have never actually bought a used game but have no problems with it. I think it's a great idea for people to have that option.

I do think that it may (unfortunately) be the precursor to the free-to-play pay-to-win model coming to console / PC gaming like it is on the Facebook games currently with studios embracing that players want games on the cheap.

Like in the near future you could buy Call of Duty for 5 bucks, but any multiplayer map you want is another $2.99. Gear unlocks / capacity in single player maybe cost something. So after a year, you've probably spent well over 60 bucks anyway.

Everything will be like that old arcade baseball game (World Series Baseball??) where you got 2 innings on your first quarter then each additional inning or 2 was another quarter.
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Spazz » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:34 pm

Yea well if thats the future of gaming I guess they can count me out. The new xbox and its kinect and online once a day or its useless is not something im willing to tolerate from my gaming machine or the company who makes it.
Why Immortal technique?
Spazz
Osama bin Spazz
Osama bin Spazz

Postby Drem » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:51 pm

Reynaldo wrote:Everything will be like that old arcade baseball game (World Series Baseball??) where you got 2 innings on your first quarter then each additional inning or 2 was another quarter.

the vintage barcade next to my work has that game. it's so fun, but so expensive
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Return to Cap's Alehouse