Good fiction books that are based on religious philosophy

General location for all religious discussion. Loosely moderated for now, we will see how things go.

Moderators: Ganzo, Dictators in Training

Postby Ganzo » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:16 pm

So I just finished "Dante's Equation" by Jane Jensen. Book is great at explaining kabalistic philosophy in a fictional story done in "Da Vinci Code" style. Some of story is weak but as a whole it's great.

Well, I'm looking for some other books that deal with or based on religious philosophies, any segjestions?
גם זה יעבור

Narrock wrote:Yup, I ... was just trolling.

Narrock wrote:I wikipedia'd everything first.
Ganzo
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Drem » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:22 pm

Peace is Every Step and Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.. both books based around buddhism though they aren't really fiction, they're just lifestyle observation books. i like them
Last edited by Drem on Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tossica » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:25 pm

Winnie the Pooh.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby brinstar » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:17 pm

Tossica wrote:Winnie the Pooh.

word up!
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Narrock » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:03 am

Dante's "Inferno" was a good book
“The more I study science the more I believe in God.” -- Albert Einstein
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby The Kizzy » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:59 am

brinstar wrote:
Tossica wrote:Winnie the Pooh.

word up!

That is actually a good book.
Zanchief wrote:
Harrison wrote:I'm not dead

Fucker never listens to me. That's it, I'm an atheist.
The Kizzy
NT Patron
NT Patron

Re: Good fiction books that are based on religious philosoph

Postby Tikker » Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:46 pm

Ganzo wrote:So I just finished "Dante's Equation" by Jane Jensen. Book is great at explaining kabalistic philosophy in a fictional story done in "Da Vinci Code" style. Some of story is weak but as a whole it's great.

Well, I'm looking for some other books that deal with or based on religious philosophies, any segjestions?

"A Prayer for Owen Meany" by John Irving

he also wrote "The World According to Garp" which was entertaining, but much less religious ;)
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Jay » Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:50 am

Spawn.
Jay

Postby Gargamellow » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:09 am

Well. You could try reading "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" if you are into philosophical novels. However, I am not sure this one could be considered religious unless you consider a journey into one's mind religious.
Gargamellow
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Yamori » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:06 am

The bible. :hiphop:

Sorry, someone had to. ;P
-Yamori
AKA ~~Baron Boshie of the Nameless~~
Yamori
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Phlegm » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:09 am

Yamori wrote:

The bible. :hiphop:

Sorry, someone had to. ;P

But it has a bunch of short stories that keep repeating so it can be boring.
Phlegm
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Zanchief » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:25 am

Jurassic Park.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Griever » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:56 am

What about Paradise Lost? I loved reading it in highschool.
Griever
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby vonkaar » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:30 am

Orson Scott Card is a Mormon and has written several sci-fi books based on religion...

The "Song of Earth" series was written on the stories of the Book of Mormon... I believe.
Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby Tikker » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:51 am

vonkaar wrote:Orson Scott Card is a Mormon and has written several sci-fi books based on religion...

The "Song of Earth" series was written on the stories of the Book of Mormon... I believe.

that's the series about the native indians I thought?

I've only read the synopsis of the series though
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Narrock » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:45 pm

Phuck Mormons.

[quote]In 1857 a group of pioneers were taking cattle from Arkansas to California and made the mistake of stopping to let their herd graze in Utah, where the Mormons had settled after being forced from the East. A group of Mormons and Paiute Indians surrounded the party and, after offering to ferry them to safety in exchange for their guns, killed some 140 people—everyone except for a few children under the age of seven. Shortly before the massacre President James Buchanan sent the U.S. Army, because the sect was forming an independent government, and McMurtry surmises that this left the Mormons feeling particularly vulnerable. They were also probably eager to get their hands on the Arkansans’ valuable cattle. The victims’ bodies were left in a pile, stripped of their clothes and jewelry, and the cattle were divided. But as McMurtry’s writes, “the lesson, if it is a lesson, is that blood—in time, and, often, not that much time—will out. In case after case the dead have managed to assert a surprising potency.â€
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Tossica » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:56 pm

Pogroms and religious massacres

To be in this section, the primary motive for the massacre must have been ethnic or religious hatred.

Date Name Deaths Location Comments

September 12, 1571 Enryakuji set fire ~3,000 Enryakuji , Japan

August 24, 1572 St. Bartholomew's Day massacre 70,000 France A wave of Catholic mob violence against the Huguenots.

March 22, 1622 Jamestown ~347 Jamestown, Virginia [United States] Led by Opechancanough, brother of Powhatan, local Native American tribes attack the Virginia Colony destroying virtualy all the settlements save the heavily fortified Jamestown.

October 23 onwards, 1641 Ulster 1641 4,000 Ulster, Ireland English Protestant Planters killed by dispossed Irish Catholics.

1648-1649 Khmelnytsky Uprising tens of thousands Poland Jews, Polish nobles, and Uniates killed by a Cossack and peasant uprising under Bohdan Khmelnytsky.

September 22, 1711 Tuscarora ~Unknown North Carolina [US] The Tuscarora tribe killed an unknown number of settlers along the Chowan and Roanoke Rivers in northeastern North Carolina as well as abandoning the settlement of New Bern beginning the Tuscarora War lasting from 1711-1713.

April 1715 Yamassee ~Unknown South Carolina [US] With Spanish support the Yamassee kill several hundred South Carolina settlers. This act would begin a violent conflict between South Carolina colonists, allied with the Cherokee, defeating the Yamassee northwest of Port Royal, South Carolina almost a year later in January 1716.
1763 Distribution of blankets exposed to smallpox to American Indians unknown Fort Pitt During Pontiac's Rebellion, in which many white noncombatants (perhaps hundreds) were killed by Native American warriors, British General Jeffrey Amherst wrote a letter suggesting this tactic to stop the assault, but it is uncertain anyone died as a result.
1768 Koliwszczyzna ? Massacre of Poles and Jews in Human, Ukraine.

February 16, 1838 Weenen massacre ~300 South Africa Zulus massacre Voortrekker men, women, and children.

1838 Myall Creek massacre 28 Australia Aboriginal people were murdered by white stockmen taking revenge for lost cattle.

1838 Haun's Mill Massacre 17 Missouri Seventeen Mormon men and boys killed by 200-250 militia.
November 29, 1847 Whitman massacre ? near Walla Walla, Washington Medical mission established by Marcus Whitman attacked by the Cayuse.

1848 Rabacja ? Galicia Massacre of Polish nobles by peasants.

April 23, 1852 Bridge Gulch massacre ~150-300 California, near Hayfork, Trinity Co. Posse from Weaverville kill Wintu people in an undefended Native American village.

October 26, 1853 Gunnison massacre ? Utah territory Exploration party of John Gunnison killed by Pahvant Utes.

September 11, 1857 Mountain Meadows massacre 120 Utah, United States Mormon militia kill an entire wagon train of Arkansas farming families; 120 persons men, women, and children.

November 29, 1864 Sand Creek massacre ~150 Colorado Territory United States cavalry troops kill Cheyenne and Arapaho peoples in an undefended Native American village.

June 1, 1873 Cypress Hills massacre 16–23 Cypress Hills, Saskatchewan, Canada 16-22 Nakoda (Assiniboine) killed by American wolfers. 1 American was killed.

1890 Beothuk Indian massacres ? Newfoundland, now Canada

1903 Kishinev pogrom 45 (Chişinău) - Moldova

January 1923 Rosewood, Florida many Rosewood, Florida, United States Black people were killed by white mobs. Their village was also burnt down.

September 1–8, 1923 Kanto massacre ~2,711–6,415 Kanto region, Japan Korean and Okinawan immigrants blamed for looting and arson.

1929 First Hebron massacre ~67 Palestine Arab mob massacred and "pogromed" at least 67 Jews and wiped out the old Jewish settlement in Hebron.

January 1932 La Matanza ~30,000 El Salvador Massacre of mostly indigenous people, committed by the military government after having crushed a peasants' rebellion.

1938 Kristallnacht 36–200 Germany also called Pogromnacht
September 1939 Bromberg Bloody Sunday up to 8000 Bydgoszcz, Poland Killing of between 358 and 5,000 ethnic Germans during the Polish Defence War of 1939 and subsequent massacre of ~3,000 Polish civilians as a reprisal.

June 27, 1944 - March 1945 Chamerian massacre ~2000 Greece During German occupation, Greek royalist militias battle pro Communist Muslims in northern villages of Epirus, known by Albanians as Chameria. Over 25,000 flee to Albania.

July 31, 1945 Usti massacre ~80 Czechoslovakia Czech soldiers lynch ethnic Germans.

1969 Killevanamani Massacre ~35 Tamil Nadu, India more than 35 farm labor and their families, mostly women and children, were burnt alive by upper caste landlords.

November 1-3, 1984 Sikh Massacre; also known as Anti-Sikh riots and Black November ~2733–4000 Delhi, India Three days of Sectarian violence following the assassination of Prime Minister Indira Gandhi by her Sikh bodyguards. Local government officials widely believed to be responsible for organizing mobs to massacre Sikhs.

December 28, 2000 Titanic Express massacre 21 Mageyo, Burundi Burundian Hutu-extremists, believed to be members of Palipehutu-FNL, ambush a civilian bus close to the Burundian capital Bujumbura. Hutu passengers are released unharmed. Tutsis and foreigners are shot dead.

January 9–11, 2001 Yakaolang massacre ~300 Yakaolang, Afghanistan Taliban executes civilian members of the Shia Sadat and Hazara clans.

February 2002 2002 Gujarat violence ~800–2000 Gujarat state, India Sectarian violence following a train fire in Godhra.

September 9, 2002 Itaba massacre 173-267 Itaba, Burundi The Burundian army massacres between 173 and 267 Hutu villagers, allegedly in reprisal for rebel attacks.

May 2, 2004 Yelwa massacre ~630 Nigeria Muslim nomads killed by Christians in ongoing violence in Nigeria.

August 13, 2004 Gatumba massacre 152 Burundi Members of the Hutu-extremist group Palipehutu-FNL attack a refugee camp in western Burundi, shooting, hacking and burning to death 152 Congolese Tutsis.

July 12, 2005 Turbi village massacre Kenya ~73 Turbi, (Kenya) Hundreds of armed men said to be from the Borana clan, surrounded Turbi primary school and nearby houses and opened fire as children were making their way to school. Turbi is a Gabra clan village.

June 16, 2005 Muhuta Church massacre 6 Rural Bujumbura, Burundi

People do bad things in the name of God.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby 10sun » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:33 am

The Tao of Pooh
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Gargamellow » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:05 am

I just realized that I had missed Drem's original post. Wow..you read that too? We read it for Composition 2. I still have it here somewhere...
Gargamellow
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:05 pm

10sun wrote:The Tao of Pooh

#1 answer

the te of piglet is okay but doesn't really compare
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Trielelvan » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:38 am

brinstar wrote:
10sun wrote:The Tao of Pooh

#1 answer

the te of piglet is okay but doesn't really compare

/agree
HyPhY GhEtTo MaMi wrote:GeT ofF mAh OvaRiEz
Trielelvan
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Narrock » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:37 pm

The Book of Mormon.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Trielelvan » Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:11 pm

Southpark wrote:Joseph Smith was called a prophet
Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb
He started the Mormon religion
Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb.

Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb
Joseph Smith was called a prophet-

Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb
Many people believed Joseph
Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb
And that night he-ee saw an angel
Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb

Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb

Joseph Smith was called a prophet
Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb

Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb

He found the stones and golden plates
Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb
Even though nobody else ever saw them
Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb

Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb

Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb

And that's how the Book of Mormon was written
Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb
Dumb dadumb dumb dumb dumb dumb
Dumb dadumb dumb dumb dumb dumb
Dahumb dahumb dumb dumb dumb dumb
Dumb dumb dumb dumb duuumb, duuumb.

Martin went home to his wife
Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb
And showed her pages from the Book of Mormon
Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb

Lucy Harris smart smart smart
Smart smart smart smart smart

Martin Harris dumb dadumb-

Lucy Harris smart smart smart
Martin Harris dumb.
So Martin went on back to Smith
Said the pages had gone away
Smith got mad and told Martin
He needed to go pray
Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb

Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb

Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb.

Sorry. It had to be done.
:hiphop:
HyPhY GhEtTo MaMi wrote:GeT ofF mAh OvaRiEz
Trielelvan
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Phlegm » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:22 pm

I am currently reading "Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal" by Christopher Moore. It's very funny and enjoyable so far.
Phlegm
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby araby » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:11 pm

The Celestine Prophecy was good though it doesn't fit into this description (nice bump)

also--good read having nothing to do with this thread really, The Kite Runner was recommended to me recently.
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Next

Return to Holy ... Discussion