Here comes the religious left...

General location for all religious discussion. Loosely moderated for now, we will see how things go.

Moderators: Ganzo, Dictators in Training

Postby Donnel » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:02 pm

arlos wrote:
Please please please stop putting Pat Robertson in with real conservatives.

He is not our spokesman.

I notice you didn't mention Falwell. And when I see the GOP publicly disown Robertson and Falwell and others of their ilk of the Religious Right, I'll stop mentioning them. As of right now, however, they have tremendous influence politically with the GOP.

I don't have anything in particular against Falwell though I don't agree with him doctrinally. However he sticks his foot in his mouth far less the Robertson and for that he is the superior of the two.

I consider myself part of the religious right in so much that I vote for candidates that I feel best represent me in the spirit of truth, fairness, and a desire to uphold the laws of the land. The GoP need not disown Robertson as they never "owned" him to begin with. Just because someone speaks in your name doesn't mean they speak on your behalf.
<a href="http://wow.allakhazam.com/profile.html?384300">Treston</a>
Donnel
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Insanityfair » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:11 pm

Donnel wrote:Pffft shows what you know, I don't wash my bathroom walls.

Man, don't direct me to threads you post in anymore, that was more than I ever needed to know.
Insanityfair
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Narrock » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:57 pm

The Kizzy wrote:
brinstar wrote:
Narrock wrote:
brinstar wrote:finally, a group committed to teaching and practicing the things christ SAID, not the things rich white people tell you he said!

count me in!

Jesus upheld and reinforced the commandments. Unless I missed the part where He said, "Thou shalt suck an unwanted fetus from thine womb."

actually your bible doesn't ever mention abortion

what it does mention, is how the son of god went around telling everyone to love everyone else no matter what

He never shaid Thou shalt NOT suck unwanted fetuses from thine womb either

"Thou shalt not KILL." That pretty much covers even a fetus.
“The more I study science the more I believe in God.” -- Albert Einstein
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby brinstar » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:21 pm

...and innocent iraqi civilians?

this is the perfect example of the biggest problem i have with the religious right

they pick and choose which of christ's teachings they uphold and which of those they happily ignore
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Thon » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:06 pm

even killing terrorists goes against "thou shalt not kill". Christ said if they strike your right cheek, offer your left. or something to that effect. he didn't say if they strike your right cheek, bomb them to smithereens
Thon
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Yamori » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:56 pm

If Thou Shalt Not Kill is cut-dry-paste in its simplicity... you necessarily need to be 100% against:

1) War of any kind - even just wars.
2) Killing in Self Defense.
3) The Death Penalty.

Ect...

Not to mention, the bible itself is full of tons of people being killed - both "by" god and in god's name... usually for rather silly reasons. This especially applies to persons of cultures outside jewish ones - though it also applies to those within jewish culture that god didn't like.

What they really probably meant by "thou shalt not kill" was "thou shalt not kill thy fellow jews... provided they don't break god's law."
-Yamori
AKA ~~Baron Boshie of the Nameless~~
Yamori
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Yamori » Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:12 pm

As for abortion, to say that ""life" begins at conception being scientific fact, therefore abortion=murder" is somewhat of a straw-man. Cells are certainly alive, but that isn't the point of the debate. The cells in my pinky finger and my spleen are alive. Bacteria is alive. Viruses are alive. Raccoons are alive. None of these are granted "murdered" status if they are destroyed.

The actual question is: when does that clump of cells living inside a pregnant woman's gut and feeding off her energy become a human being? Or more specifically, when does it become a human being that is due the rights and protections that rational beings are entitled to?

Is it a human being the moment that singular cell is created? (If so, does that mean any unused sperm/egg is equal to the death of a human being? - each contains a complete human genetic code). Is it a human being when it "looks" like one in the womb? Or when it begins to have brain activity? When it can theoretically survive outside the womb? Or when it's actually out of the womb? That's the real heart of the debate.
-Yamori
AKA ~~Baron Boshie of the Nameless~~
Yamori
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Dylan » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:01 pm

I say we make abortions illegal and make eating babies legal.
Dylan
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Arlos » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:19 pm

Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby KILL » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:43 pm

mmmmm baby stew :chef:
KILL
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Tuggan » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:15 pm

arlos wrote:http://art-bin.com/art/omodest.html

-Arlos

lol holy shit
Tuggan
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Phlegm » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:34 pm

"A Modest Proposal" was one of his satirical piece.
Phlegm
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Dylan » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:40 pm

Thats required to be read in some schools :hiphop:
Dylan
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Donnel » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:34 am

Yamori wrote:Is it a human being the moment that singular cell is created? (If so, does that mean any unused sperm/egg is equal to the death of a human being? - each contains a complete human genetic code). Is it a human being when it "looks" like one in the womb? Or when it begins to have brain activity? When it can theoretically survive outside the womb? Or when it's actually out of the womb? That's the real heart of the debate.

Well, like you said it's a debate. An unused sperm/egg would not be the same as a fertilized one. An unused sperm/egg is really only 1/2 of the picture as far as the blueprint goes. By themselves, they would never create a human. I call an embryo a human because given time, that's what it would be. I think it is ridicuous to have laws in place banning the killing of a baby after a certain deadline but not before. It's the same creature.
Donnel
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Snero » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:09 am

the main difference is that at one point the baby can live on it's own, before then it's just like any other part of the woman's body. This is going to sound like a really cold way of seeing things, but if you cut an arm off it dies, if you remove a clump of cells, it dies, if you remove an embryo it dies. It's not alive.
Snero
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Donnel » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:22 am

Yes that is true. However (and this is where the debate comes in) a clump of cells that is not alive SAVE for the passage of time, should be considered alive throughout it's entire existance and treated as such.
Donnel
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Zanchief » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:29 am

Yes but an unfertilized egg can become a child under the right circumstances, just as an embryo would.

Neither can on their own.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby leah » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:36 am

arlos wrote:http://art-bin.com/art/omodest.html

-Arlos

wtf :rofl:
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Snero » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:41 am

Donnel wrote:Yes that is true. However (and this is where the debate comes in) a clump of cells that is not alive SAVE for the passage of time, should be considered alive throughout it's entire existance and treated as such.

see I don't really agree with this, there is a lot more to it then just the passage of time. A big number of pregnancies don't last past the first few months because of various factors. In a lot of cases the embryo is not a viable one. In these cases it was a lump of cells that was never going to become alive. I think something is alive when it's actually alive, not just because it has the potential to be
Snero
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Previous

Return to Holy ... Discussion