The Virgin Mary needs a new booking agent

General location for all religious discussion. Loosely moderated for now, we will see how things go.

Moderators: Ganzo, Dictators in Training

The Virgin Mary needs a new booking agent

Postby DangerPaul » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:18 am

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/14400252/?GT1=8404

FOUNTAIN VALLEY, Calif. - As a chocolatier to the rich and famous, Martucci Angiano has posed with many celebrities — but on Thursday she held in her hand a figure that dazzles her more than any Hollywood star.

Workers at Angiano's gourmet chocolate company, Bodega Chocolates, discovered under a vat a 2-inch-tall column of chocolate drippings that they believe bears a striking resemblance to the Virgin Mary.

Since the discovery Monday, Angiano's employees have spent much of their time hovering over the tiny figure, praying and placing rose petals and candles around it.

"I was raised to believe in the Virgin Mary, but this still gives me the chills," Angiano said as she balanced the dark brown figure in her hand. "Everyone should see this."

Kitchen worker Cruz Jacinto was the first to spot the lump of melted chocolate when she began her shift Monday cleaning up drippings that had accumulated under a large vat of dark chocolate.

Chocolate drippings usually harden in thin, flat strips on wax paper, but Jacinto said she froze when she noticed the unusual shape of this cast-off: It looked just like the Virgin Mary on the prayer card she always carries in her right pocket.

‘My eyes went directly to the chocolate’
"When I come in, the first thing I do is look at the clock, but this time I didn't look at the clock. My eyes went directly to the chocolate," said Jacinto, dressed in a hair net and apron as she paused from her work. "I thought, 'Am I the only one who can see this? I picked it up and I felt emotion just come over me. For me, it was a sign."

Nick Ut / AP
Cruz Jacinto, an employee at Bodega Chocolates, holds a piece of chocolate believed to bear the likeness of the Virgin Mary and the prayer card she carries with a portrait of the Virgin Mary in Fountain Valley on Thursday.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The chocolate, on display for most of the week in the front of the company gift shop, now rests in a plastic case in a back room and is brought out only for curious visitors.

The stack of hardened confection has a wide base and tapers gently toward a rounded top, giving the appearance of a female figure with her head tilted slightly to the right. The dark brown melting chocolate hardened into subtle layers that resemble the folds of a gown and a flowing veil.

A tiny white circle, about the size of a pencil eraser, sits in the upper center of the creation, just above a slight ridge that runs across it. Cruz says the white speck is the head of the Baby Jesus as he is held in Mary's folded arms.

For Jacinto, the discovery came just in time. The single mother has struggled with marital problems for months and says she was about to lose her faith.

‘This has given me renewed faith’
"I have big problems right now, personally, and lately I've been saying that God doesn't exist," she said, pulling the dog-eared prayer card out of her pocket. "This has given me renewed faith."

Angiano, who co-owns the 10-year-old company with her sister, has rubbed shoulders with plenty of stars in her job.

The gourmet boutique runs booths at all the big awards shows, including the Emmys, the Golden Globes, the Oscars, the Country Music Awards and the Latin Grammys. Pictures of Angiano with top celebrities — and her chocolates — line the office walls.

But this week's brush with the image of a 2,000-year-old idol has left even Angiano star-struck.

"That's our Oscar right there," she said.

I mean really, I know what faith is and it is a good thing, but wouldn't you think if the mother of christ really wanted to make her presense known she would have picked a better place. Like opening night of "Snakes on a Plane" and helped Sam Jackson kick some ass?

You silly Catholics and the food places you find the mother of christ.
DangerPaul
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Phlegm » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:26 am

Phlegm
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Gaazy » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:38 am

mmmmm chocolate, I bet she tastes good
Gaazy
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Spazz » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:42 am

One time i was making sugar cookies and i threw some of that red sparkly sugar on it and it made atotally detailed face. Food makes some pretty random images from time to time. I guess i kinda see the virgin marry but i also see a huge hunk of chocolate.
WHITE TRASH METAL SLUMMER
Why Immortal technique?
Perhaps its because I am afraid and he gives me courage.
Spazz
Osama bin Spazz
Osama bin Spazz

Postby araby » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:23 pm

well if you have have greek tea you can see things in the coffee grains. nothing wrong with seeing something with the sprinkles =)
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby dammuzis » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:52 pm

looks like a turd

but then turd = religeon
dammuzis
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Lionking » Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:30 pm

I was going to post that praying to the virgin mary was a worthless waste of time. But since the same can be said for all aspects of Catholicism, I figured it was a moot point.

:angel:
Lionking
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Narrock » Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:51 pm

:rofl:
“The more I study science the more I believe in God.” -- Albert Einstein
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Spazz » Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:55 pm

And what super religion do you follow lionking ?
WHITE TRASH METAL SLUMMER
Why Immortal technique?
Perhaps its because I am afraid and he gives me courage.
Spazz
Osama bin Spazz
Osama bin Spazz

Postby Phlegm » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:51 pm

spazz wrote:And what super religion do you follow lionking ?

He follows the church of Matt Millen. Also known as the receiver king.
Phlegm
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Lionking » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:04 pm

Phlegm wrote:

He follows the church of Matt Millen. Also known as the receiver king.

I like it! Though I would say the 'church of Matt Millen' would definitely be a cult. Most likely Satanic at that.
Lionking
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Lionking » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:09 pm

Super Religion is the LAST thing we need. However, I am considering starting up a cult in Guyana, in memory of Jim Jones. Care for some Kool-Aid, Spazz?

:wink:
Lionking
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Return to Holy ... Discussion