urban missionaries

General location for all religious discussion. Loosely moderated for now, we will see how things go.

Moderators: Ganzo, Dictators in Training

urban missionaries

Postby brinstar » Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:53 am

so if you've ever been to downtown lincoln on a weekend evening, you know there is almost always two or three guys standing on a certain corner in front of the megaplex holding a 25-foot cross. these folk take turns hollering at passers-by about the dangers of modern society and about how they need to repent and accept jesus or face an eternity in a lake of fire.

now, despite what some of you may think, i don't have any problems with the j-man. i think he was a great man, and i think if people would listen to what he said (instead of what other people SAY he said), the world would be a lot friendlier place.

however, what i don't like is these guys' approach. yelling at pedestrians, threatening them with eternal damnation, accusing random folk of being sinners-- i just don't understand how they could have any hope of success by coming off as so incendiary.

with their current method, what invariably ends up happening is a small group of hecklers gathers, trying to counter the things the guy says with their own beliefs and logic (these terms being used very lightly) until it's just a big argument between idiots and a jerk, and uninvolved pedestrians walking by want even LESS to do with the spectacle.

i never said anything at all, of course. i was just there to watch, because i love observing people on both sides in this situation. i've seen many a fire-and-brimstone soapbox preacher in the public areas of lincoln. i've seen them totally ignored, i've seen tearful christian campus leaders BEG them to stop turning people away from the lord, i've seen them threatened with violence or a dunk in the fountain, i've seen them get PWND by a theology student wielding a bible. it's always a great show though. once i saw one in hastings about get his ass beat, and if the sheriff's deputy, police captain, and state trooper hadn't got there just in the nick of time, he certainly would've. this same guy noticed me still standing there when the crowd cleared, and started talking to me. i politely declined to hear out his spiel, informing him i was a taoist. "a what?"
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Narrock » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:16 am

Those people annoy the hell out of me too Alex. They are out in front of the California State Fair, and you have to walk past them to get to the ticket booths.
“The more I study science the more I believe in God.” -- Albert Einstein
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby araby » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:54 pm

All of the channels on television freak me out. Sometimes, for background noise I leave one of those channels or the home shopping network..and all of those people freak me out.
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Gidan » Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:06 pm

I always find them very amusing. It’s really funny when you ask them quests not directly related to their current rant. It totally throws them off.
Last edited by Gidan on Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.
Gidan
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby araby » Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:07 pm

me too, that's why I leave it on.
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby 10sun » Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:06 pm

I enjoy talking to them sometimes. Especially dropping the bombs like, I don't believe in your God, thus your threats that I will be going to hell for my beliefs are unfounded.

They start to scream louder and louder then.

I used to run into a lot of them early mornings while going for walks on campus.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Tossica » Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:38 pm

Jesus was a hip cat... much cooler than most christians.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Diekan » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:20 am

I hate when the salvation army stands in front of my grocery store and looks you down as you walk in... I'm like "no" I already gave at the office, now shove that bell up your ass and jingle jingle out of my way.
Diekan
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Yamori » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:46 am

Sometimes I get the urge to stand on a soap box on a crowded street and deliver a firey sermon about how you won't get into heaven unless you have an umbrella and a raincoat. :P
-Yamori
AKA ~~Baron Boshie of the Nameless~~
Yamori
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Narrock » Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:28 pm

Diekan wrote:I hate when the salvation army stands in front of my grocery store and looks you down as you walk in... I'm like "no" I already gave at the office, now shove that bell up your ass and jingle jingle out of my way.

I just pretend to be talking on my cell phone. Works every time. Even the girl scouts won't try to stop you and sell you stale wafers.
“The more I study science the more I believe in God.” -- Albert Einstein
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:07 am

Postby Thon » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:08 am

that was me
Lyion wrote:Unfortunately, Arabs are notorious cowards and these are people who are easily knuckled under.
Thon
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Return to Holy ... Discussion