Democrats and religion

General location for all religious discussion. Loosely moderated for now, we will see how things go.

Moderators: Ganzo, Dictators in Training

Democrats and religion

Postby Phlegm » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:42 am

The Democratic party started a website today to organize religious voters whose views might be compatible with the Democrats and to woo more religious voters from the Republicans.

http://www.faithfuldemocrats.com/
Phlegm
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Diekan » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:41 pm

The whole idea that republicans are religious in the first place is a fucking joke. They DEFINE hypocrisy to a T. Projecting themselves as champions of christianity only to completely wrap themselves in everything the bible teaches against. Greedy, gluttony, racism, arrogance, disregard for the planet... they make me sick.

It shouldn't be too hard for the DNC to show they are more religious than those hyporcites of the GOP.
Diekan
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Spazz » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:56 pm

They hate fags and abortion and to a lot of them thats what being a christain is about.
WHITE TRASH METAL SLUMMER
Why Immortal technique?
Perhaps its because I am afraid and he gives me courage.
Spazz
Osama bin Spazz
Osama bin Spazz

Postby Tikker » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:42 pm

spazz wrote:They hate fags and abortion and to a lot of them thats what being a christain is about.

It's kind of funny how true that statement is
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Spazz » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:19 pm

Doesnt take rocket science to make that connection just your eyes and ears. Its just sad from what ive read jesus seemed like an allright kinda dude but the people that SCREAM they follow his word are usually the biggest assholes and couldnt be further from it. Saddest part is that you know they will never be able to open there eyes wide enuff to know they missed the point ....

We got a real good example of the kind of "christian" im talking bout lurking round here somewhere too prolly wont be long for he puts in his 2 cents.
Why Immortal technique?
Spazz
Osama bin Spazz
Osama bin Spazz

Postby Donnel » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:56 am

Hi guys, what's going on in this thread?
<a href="http://wow.allakhazam.com/profile.html?384300">Treston</a>
Donnel
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Spazz » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:59 am

Bitchin bout hateful christains
Why Immortal technique?
Spazz
Osama bin Spazz
Osama bin Spazz

Postby Donnel » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:10 am

Hmmm don't know any of them myself.

Good luck!
Donnel
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Zanchief » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:25 am

Donnel wrote:Hmmm don't know any of them myself.

Good luck!

Question though Donnel, since I think your one of the more rational people on this board never mind one of the more rational devout christians. Do you think that liberals embody the spirit of christianity more so then conservatives? Or do you just see it as an issue of Dogma and one side follows the letter of the law more than the other.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Donnel » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:09 am

Let me rephrase your question more to the spirit of how I see things.

Do I think there are liberally minded Christians? Yes. Do I think there are conservativly minded non-Christians? Double yes. Some people follow the letter of the law and miss the forest for the trees (No offense intended Mindia, but SDA is one of those in my book).

Personally I take a stance on the conservative side in most issues, however I would gladly and readily say that I do not embody what it appears most of you think is the epitome of a republican. I vote along party lines and at the same time I don't. I would vote for a non-republican candidate if they held the same values that I do. At the same time.. most non-republican candidates that I have a say in electing do NOT profess those values. Sometimes it's the lesser of two evils. Sometimes the choice from my point of view is cut and dry. So to answer your original question: in most cases conservatives embody the values of Christianity more closely then liberals do.
Donnel
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Spazz » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:18 am

Can you elaborate on how conservatives embody the values of christianity more than liberals. I think its the complete opposite. Maybe in everyday people but no way in a politicion.
Why Immortal technique?
Spazz
Osama bin Spazz
Osama bin Spazz

Postby Donnel » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:25 am

Maybe you don't know Christian values? And I don't mean that to be snide, I just mean maybe what you are comparing them to isn't what you think it is?
Donnel
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Zanchief » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:33 am

Donnel wrote:Maybe you don't know Christian values? And I don't mean that to be snide, I just mean maybe what you are comparing them to isn't what you think it is?

Acceptance isn't something Conservatives have in spades though, Donnel.
Last edited by Zanchief on Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Donnel » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:36 am

That depends on how you define acceptance. Open armed anything goes as long as it is relavent to you ecumenicalism is NOT a Christian value.

I can love gay people for the human beings they are but still condemn the sin that they live in. Those two facets are NOT mutually exclusive for me.
Donnel
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Spazz » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:41 am

I thought it wasnt your job to condemn anything?

In right wing politix i see a lot of greed, open prejudice,and they seem to be the first to throw thou shalt not kill out the window.

I think i have an understanding of CHRISTS values and I dont think im seeing a lot of it coming out of the republican camp.
Why Immortal technique?
Spazz
Osama bin Spazz
Osama bin Spazz

Postby Jay » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:51 am

You have to remember also that your POV is based on what's presented to you in media when it comes to politicians. I can vouch for the fact I know a lot of conservatives that do uphold Christian values moreso than liberals. Politicians on the other hand uphold the Christian values that will result in votes and not necessarily because it's really within their belief system.
Jay

Postby Lyion » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:52 am

Generalizations don't really help in a discussion, Spazz.

Which values do you disagree with the GOP and think the DNC is more inline with in regards to Christians?
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Snero » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:57 am

the death penalty
Snero
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Spazz » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:00 pm

actually i dont really think eithers all that christain now that im really thinking hard. Both are Full of greedy men with there own agendas and thats not christlike at all.

Id say the right is less christian because of the hateful ways wich they talk of homosexuals and the MAD GREED that goes on in that party. Id say the right is less christian becuase of they support of war and the death penalty.

Im not a christain i just get annoyed by anyone that says this is my set of beleifs and then acts a completley different way.
Why Immortal technique?
Spazz
Osama bin Spazz
Osama bin Spazz

Postby Donnel » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:19 pm

I'm a Christian, I support both wars and the death penalty. I don't believe it's wrong to condemn sin for what it is.

If you want to try and prove to me that these aren't Christian values, feel free to do so. But make sure you use actual references to back yourself up, otherwise I will just assume you are talking through your nose :D
Donnel
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Snero » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:28 pm

judge not lest ye be judged
let he without sin cast the first stone
thou shalt not kill

I'm really far from an expert in theology and I could be off with some of these quotes, but it seems to me like the death penalty and christianity don't really mesh all that well. I'm not saying that anybody who is christian can't be in favor of it, but I don't see it being on religious grounds.

I personally am not a fan at all of mixing religion and politics, I don't like it when the republicans do it, and I don't like it when the democrats are doing it. Then again, I die a little inside every time I hear harper make another comment that makes me believe even more that he's just bush jr
Snero
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Zanchief » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:32 pm

Don't disparage "The New Government" (tm)
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Snero » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:40 pm

thats "Canada's New Government"
Snero
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Donnel » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:44 pm

Snero:

I don't know the contents of the rest of the site but googling "judge not lest ye be judged" gives a pretty good answer to why that quote isn't appropriate to any conversation http://www.capalert.com/judgenot.htm -- Essentialy: the quote isn't don't judge or you will be judged, it's really Judge, but make sure that the way in which you judge can be used against you without you coming into fault over the same issue. By the same measure you are judging you will be judged.

Your quote about casting the first stone is a bit trickier however you'd have to know the whole context. The pharisees brought a woman caught in adultry to Jesus and asked what they should do with her. Notice there's no mention of what happened to the man caught in adultry nor was there a true desire for "justice" in the hearts of the pharisees. Jesus knew this and wasn't going to play their games. They were playing the ultimate hypocrite and Jesus called them on it. Another Link: http://www.keyway.ca/htm2004/20040811.htm

Thou shalt not kill: Another good commentary on the subject: http://www.apostolic.edu/biblestudy/files/6th-com.htm Basically stated: there are times when killing is necessary but murder is always murder. Thou shalt not kill is not referring to ending the life of someone, but instead of murdering them.
Donnel
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Spazz » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:04 pm

While i agree with capitol punishment it is an innocent man tkaing the life of the guilty not out of self defense but vengence. That homie no matter how ya dice it its goin against thou shall not kill. I find it funny that the religous are so good at finding ways to dodge that.
Why Immortal technique?
Spazz
Osama bin Spazz
Osama bin Spazz

Next

Return to Holy ... Discussion