Who God REALLY wants to smite

General location for all religious discussion. Loosely moderated for now, we will see how things go.

Moderators: Ganzo, Dictators in Training

Who God REALLY wants to smite

Postby Arlos » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:47 pm

Hey, you can't argue with math...

Do Gays Cause Hurricanes?
Do "Unnatural" Acts Cause Natural Disasters?
By Janis Walworth July 16, 1998

Pat Robertson, founder of the Christian Coalition, recently warned Orlando, Florida, that it was courting natural disaster by allowing gay pride flags to be flown along its streets. "A condition like this will bring about ... earthquakes, tornadoes, and possibly a meteor," he said, apparently referring to his belief that the presence of openly gay people incurs divine wrath and that God acts through geological and meteorological events to destroy municipalities that permit gay people the same civil liberties as others. (Robertson also warned Orlando about terrorist bombs, suggesting the possibility that God may also employ terrorists.)

Before Pat and his Christian cronies get too carried away promulgating the idea that people who displease God prompt natural disasters, they should take a hard look at the data. Take tornadoes. Every state (except Alaska) has them - some only one or two a year, dozens in others. Gay people are in every state (even Alaska). According to Pat's hypothesis, there should be more gay people in states that have more tornadoes. But are there? Nope. In fact, there's no correlation at all between the number of gay folks (as estimated by the number of gay political organizations, support groups, bookstores, radio programs, and circuit parties) and the annual tornado count (r = .04, p = .78 for you statisticians). So much for the "God hates gays" theory.

God seems almost neutral on the subject of sexual orientation. I say "almost" because if we look at the density of gay groups relative to the population as a whole, there is a small but statistically significant (p < .05) correlation with the occurrence of tornadoes. And it's a negative correlation (r = -.28). For those of you who haven't used statistics since 1973, that means that a high concentration of gay organizations actually protects against tornadoes. A state with the population of, say, Alabama could avert two tornadoes a year merely by doubling the number of gay organizations in the state. (Tough choice for Alabama's civil defense strategists.)

Although God may not care about sexual orientation, the same cannot be said for religious affiliation. If the underlying tenet of Pat's postulate is true - that God wipes out offensive folks via natural disasters - then perhaps we can find some evidence of who's on God's hit list. Jews are off the hook here: there's no correlation between numbers of Jews and frequency of tornadoes. Ditto for Catholics. But when it comes to Protestants, there's a highly significant correlation of .71.

This means that fully half the state-to-state variation in tornado frequency can be accounted for by the presence of Protestants. And the chance that this association is merely coincidental is only one in 10,000. Protestants, of course, come in many flavors-we were able to find statistics for Lutherans, Methodists, Baptists, and Other. Lutherans don't seem to be a problem-no correlation with tornadoes. There's a modest correlation (r = .52, p = .0001) between Methodists and tornadoes.

But Baptists and Others share the prize: both groups show a definite correlation with tornado frequency (r = .68, p = .0001). This means that Texas could cut its average of 139 tornadoes per year in half by sending a few hundred thousand Baptists elsewhere (Alaska maybe?).

What, you are probably asking yourself, about gay Protestants? An examination of the numbers of gay religious groups (mostly Protestant) reveals no significant relationship with tornadoes. Perhaps even Protestants are less repugnant to God if they're gay. And that brings up another point - the futility of trying to save the world by getting gay people to accept Jesus. It looks from our numbers like encouraging Protestants to be gay could more effectively reduce the frequency of natural disasters.

Gay people have been falsely blamed for disasters ever since Sodom was destroyed by fire and brimstone (we have been unable to find any statistics on disasters involving brimstone). According to a reliable source, the destruction of Sodom was indeed an act of God (see Genesis 19:13) and was perpetrated because the citizens thereof were, according to the same source (see Ezekiel 16:49-50), "arrogant, overfed and unconcerned [and] did not help the poor and needy" - not because they were gay. Now Pat would have us believe that gays are the cause of tornadoes (as well as earthquakes, meteors, and even terrorist bombs) in utter disregard for evidence showing that Baptists are much more likely to cause them.

I say "Kudos!" to Orlando. Despite Robertson's warning that Orlando is "right in the way of some serious hurricanes" (hardly a revelation), note that it was not struck by the very destructive Hurricane Andrew a few years ago. And amid the recent conflagrations (that's fires) in central Florida, which occurred just after Pat sounded his alarm, Orlando was spared. Keep those flags waving!

As any statistician will tell you, of course, correlation doesn't prove causation. Protestants causing tornadoes by angering God isn't the only explanation for these data. It could be that Baptists and Other Protestants purposely flock to states that have lots of tornadoes (no, we haven't checked for a correlation between IQ and religious affiliation). But if Pat and his Christian crew insist that natural disasters are brought on by people who offend God, let the data show who those people are.

Proof that not only is Pat Robertson a raving loon, but that we could also do with a few million less Protestants. rofl.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby araby » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:52 pm

what about when God promised to never destroy the earth again and the rainbow was a sign of his promise? maybe they missed sunday school that day.
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Markarado » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:43 pm

Destroying the Earth and killing off a portion of the population are much different. Stop making a fool of yourself Araby.
Markarado
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Tikker » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:59 pm

Markarado wrote:Destroying the Earth and killing off a portion of the population are much different. Stop making a fool of yourself Araby.

says the guy who worships an invisible friend that he can't prove exists
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Zanchief » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:34 am

Markarado wrote:Destroying the Earth and killing off a portion of the population are much different. Stop making a fool of yourself Araby.

Yowzers, you've got the Jesus bug.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Lueyen » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:51 am

The article needs to be updated to include statistics on frequency of tornadoes near Topeka Kansas. Yes I just made a comparison between Robertson and Phelps. The message if not the method of delivery are very similar.
Raymond S. Kraft wrote:The history of the world is the history of civilizational clashes, cultural clashes. All wars are about ideas, ideas about what society and civilization should be like, and the most determined always win.

Those who are willing to be the most ruthless always win. The pacifists always lose, because the anti-pacifists kill them.
Lueyen
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Lionking » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:42 am

araby wrote:what about when God promised to never destroy the earth again and the rainbow was a sign of his promise? maybe they missed sunday school that day.

Sorry, Araby, he only promised not to destroy again by water (aka flood). But you knew that and conveniently left it out. That's a good troll.
Lionking
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Gargamellow » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:44 am

ya..isn't jesus supposed to kill us all and bring us to the kingdom of heaven? those without the mark of the beast, that is........(which I think will be a US bar code)
Gargamellow
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby 10sun » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:02 pm

Lionking wrote:
araby wrote:what about when God promised to never destroy the earth again and the rainbow was a sign of his promise? maybe they missed sunday school that day.

Sorry, Araby, he only promised not to destroy again by water (aka flood). But you knew that and conveniently left it out. That's a good troll.

You are right, it was wind driven rains, not flooding.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Spazz » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:21 pm

What is it about "god" that makes people suspend all rationality? Allmost all the behavior in the world that sickens me is caused by one "god " or another. These people need to seriously come off it. Lets hear people spout the nice things there chosen prophet had to say for a while and see what happens with that. I really am sick to death of these fuckin people.
WHITE TRASH METAL SLUMMER
Why Immortal technique?
Perhaps its because I am afraid and he gives me courage.
Spazz
Osama bin Spazz
Osama bin Spazz

Postby araby » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:49 pm

my bad! I don't know the bible very well- crap!
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby kinghooter00 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:12 pm

GOD IS EMPTY JUST LIKE MEEEEEE!!!!!
smashing pumpkins i believe
love that song. :bowdown: :crucified: :bowdown:
kinghooter00
Captain Google
Captain Google

Postby KaiineTN » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:22 pm

God is just a kid with an ant farm. Nothing more.
KaiineTN
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Ganzo » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:11 pm

Everyone here have such deep understanding of God
גם זה יעבור

Narrock wrote:Yup, I ... was just trolling.

Narrock wrote:I wikipedia'd everything first.
Ganzo
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Diekan » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:05 pm

It's interesting that one can't says the world could do without a few million muslims without being called a racist, hate monger.

It's really paradoxal how the left views different religions. One the one hand - they proudly boast of supporting equality (especially where sex is concerned) - while islam treats women like trash you don't hear a peep out of the left in condemnation.

You'd think that of all the world's religions Islam would be A-number one of the liberal hit list - but it's not - not even close. Why is that? I'm not asking a retorical question here either - I am curious.
Diekan
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Ganzo » Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:56 am

Diekan wrote:It's interesting that one can't says the world could do without a few million muslims without being called a racist, hate monger.

It's really paradoxal how the left views different religions. One the one hand - they proudly boast of supporting equality (especially where sex is concerned) - while islam treats women like trash you don't hear a peep out of the left in condemnation.

You'd think that of all the world's religions Islam would be A-number one of the liberal hit list - but it's not - not even close. Why is that? I'm not asking a retorical question here either - I am curious.

Cause it doesnt fit with their current goals. Remeber you talking about politics here, so ideology is thrown right out the window
גם זה יעבור

Narrock wrote:Yup, I ... was just trolling.

Narrock wrote:I wikipedia'd everything first.
Ganzo
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby araby » Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:53 pm

also, no shit destroying the earth and killing off people are much different. however they are both within God's powers, so what difference does it really make? you're arguing semantics when what I meant was that God promised not to do that again. (kill people via natural disaster or flooding waters or AT ALL) Which was my response to the original post. this man thinks that God is going to punish us for sinning. I was taught that God will never do that again until Jesus returns and that is when people will get what they have coming.

if not, then we're to believe that we're okay as far as floods go, but He could definitely choose a different way to punish us en masse?

Because honestly, you mocked me and called me out on a detail I over-looked when in truth, I have always understood that particular promise as one that meant "and from now on I won't do that again." I was not taught to take that literally in my sunday school classes or any other studying.

I wasn't trolling, though I certainly could have enhanced my post.
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Return to Holy ... Discussion