Widows Seek Wiccan Symbol on Headstones

General location for all religious discussion. Loosely moderated for now, we will see how things go.

Moderators: Ganzo, Dictators in Training

Postby Evermore » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:02 am

Tuesday, November 14, 2006 6:45 AM EST
The Associated Press
By SCOTT BAUER

MADISON, Wis. (AP) — The Star of David is OK, as are more than a dozen variations of the Christian cross. Even the atomic whirl used by atheists gets the thumbs-up from the federal government.

But a Wiccan symbol representing earth, air, fire, water and spirit isn't recognized by the federal government for veterans' grave markers.

A federal lawsuit filed Monday accuses the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs of violating the constitutional rights of Wiccans because the government does not allow its symbol on headstones in national cemeteries.

"I honestly think there must be some people who don't want to acknowledge that the Wiccan religion should be entitled to the same rights as other religions," said Selena Fox, who is senior minister of the Wiccan Circle Sanctuary in Barneveld.

Roberta Stewart, a widow of a soldier killed in Afghanistan last year, has waged her own personal war to see the Wiccan pentacle placed on the tombstone of her husband, Nevada National Guard Sgt. Patrick Stewart.

Stewart, whose husband was awarded the Bronze Star and Purple Heart, was rebuffed by federal veterans' officials when she sought approval to affix the pentacle to the Veterans' Memorial Wall in Nevada, but state officials said they would erect a plaque with the symbol.

Stewart said she had the plight of other families in mind when she decided to file the lawsuit. Joining her are Karen DePolito, of Utah, whose husband, Jerome Birnbaum, is a Korean War veteran who died last year; Circle Sanctuary; and Isis Invicta Military Mission, a Wiccan and Pagan congregation serving military personnel based in Geyserville, Calif.

The lawsuit claims the VA has made "excuse after excuse" for more than nine years for not approving the pentacle, and argues that constitutional rights of freedom of speech, religion and due process have been violated by the department's not acting on requests to allow the symbol.

The lawsuit, filed in the U.S. District Court in Madison and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit in Washington, seeks an order compelling the VA to make a decision.

The VA issued a statement Monday that outlined the procedure under way to create uniform standards under which new symbols can be accepted, but did not comment on the lawsuit itself.

Legal papers filed by attorneys for Americans United for Separation of Church and State, a religious liberty watchdog group, said it makes no sense for Wiccans to be excluded.

The Army allows Wiccan soldiers to list their faith on dog tags, Wiccan organizations are allowed to hold services on military installations and the Army Chaplains Handbook includes an explanation of the religion, attorneys said.

Wiccans worship the Earth and believe they must give to the community. Some consider themselves "white" or good witches, pagans or neo-pagans. Approximately 1,800 active-duty service members identify themselves as Wiccans, according to 2005 Defense Department statistics.

/discuss
For you
Evermore
NT Deity
NT Deity

Re: Widows Seek Wiccan Symbol on Headstones

Postby Trielelvan » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:33 am

Legal papers filed by attorneys for Americans United for Separation of Church and State, a religious liberty watchdog group, said it makes no sense for Wiccans to be excluded.

They're right. It doesn't.
HyPhY GhEtTo MaMi wrote:GeT ofF mAh OvaRiEz
Trielelvan
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Gargamellow » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:49 am

People should be allowed to put whatever the fuck they want on their tombstone. And their families should be able to enforce whatever the fuck they had wanted.
the end
Gargamellow
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Lueyen » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:52 am

Seems pretty cut and dry to me, I see no valid reason to refuse the symbol.
Raymond S. Kraft wrote:The history of the world is the history of civilizational clashes, cultural clashes. All wars are about ideas, ideas about what society and civilization should be like, and the most determined always win.

Those who are willing to be the most ruthless always win. The pacifists always lose, because the anti-pacifists kill them.
Lueyen
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Narrock » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:07 am

Gargamellow wrote:People should be allowed to put whatever the fuck they want on their tombstone. And their families should be able to enforce whatever the fuck they had wanted.
the end
“The more I study science the more I believe in God.” -- Albert Einstein
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Evermore » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:40 am

im just amazed this is even an issue.
For you
Evermore
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Gargamellow » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:52 am

ya i am with u on that one
Gargamellow
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tossica » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:31 pm

It's because it's a 5 pointed star and I'm sure some religious dickhead figured it was satanic and therefore he had the right to deny it.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Burgy99 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:34 pm

I mean come on, even Mindia approves of this.

No offense to Mindia though.
Burgy99
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby Narrock » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:20 pm

Tossica wrote:It's because it's a 5 pointed star and I'm sure some religious dickhead figured it was satanic and therefore he had the right to deny it.

That's because retards don't know the difference between a pentagram and a pentacle.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Narrock » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:21 pm

Burgy99 wrote:I mean come on, even Mindia approves of this.

No offense to Mindia though.

No offense taken. I know I used to be quite a religious zealot here on the NT so it's not surprising to me that you think that way.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Spazz » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:31 pm

Whad ya do get some pills to clear that up? Maybe some VAGINER?
WHITE TRASH METAL SLUMMER
Why Immortal technique?
Perhaps its because I am afraid and he gives me courage.
Spazz
Osama bin Spazz
Osama bin Spazz

Postby Narrock » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:34 pm

spazz wrote:Whad ya do get some pills to clear that up? Maybe some VAGINER?

:angel:
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Spazz » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:05 pm

Yea i bet your indulging in some sinful behavior. Prolly got you feeling a lot more human and a lot less retarded. If youd just smoke some weed now you prolly really be on the way to recovery
WHITE TRASH METAL SLUMMER
Why Immortal technique?
Perhaps its because I am afraid and he gives me courage.
Spazz
Osama bin Spazz
Osama bin Spazz

Postby kinghooter00 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:43 pm

Yeah but even if it is satanic, isn't a persons right to believe in what they want right?
I'm not saying i'm satanic but you know, a religion is a religion is a religion... :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
kinghooter00
Captain Google
Captain Google

Return to Holy ... Discussion