Post-Rapture Post

General location for all religious discussion. Loosely moderated for now, we will see how things go.

Moderators: Ganzo, Dictators in Training

Postby Arlos » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:43 pm

Not to interject into the argument of the existence of any sort of deific beings, but:

Feel free to offer proof of the nonexistence of said invisible man?

is such retarded logic that I had to comment.

So, Harrison, feel free to offer proof of the nonexistence of the Flying Spaghetti monster? After all, you're a fucking arrogant moron for disbelieving in something without PROOF of its nonexistence.

How about the Great Green Arklesiezure? Sure, it's only mentioned in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (the book at least), but do you have PROOF that it doesn't exist?

Claiming you believe something exists because there's no proof it does NOT exist is one of the singularly most retarded lines of argument I have ever encoutnered on NT.

I can't prove that the Loch Ness Monster doesn't exist, but I don't believe in it, either. If someone wants you to believe in something, shouldn't there be SOME evidence to provide as to WHY you should? "Because I believe it" is a lousy reason, by the way. Some people firmly believe that the earth is flat. Should the rest of us suddenly start believing that just because they do? Ridiculous.

If you're going to argue on subjects like this, at least use some actual thought in the matter, rather than spouting off such imbecility.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Gargamellow » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:41 pm

Flying Spaghetti monster

I love spaghetti.
Gargamellow
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Narrock » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:52 pm

arlos wrote:Not to interject into the argument of the existence of any sort of deific beings, but:

Feel free to offer proof of the nonexistence of said invisible man?

is such retarded logic that I had to comment.

So, Harrison, feel free to offer proof of the nonexistence of the Flying Spaghetti monster? After all, you're a fucking arrogant moron for disbelieving in something without PROOF of its nonexistence.

How about the Great Green Arklesiezure? Sure, it's only mentioned in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (the book at least), but do you have PROOF that it doesn't exist?

Claiming you believe something exists because there's no proof it does NOT exist is one of the singularly most retarded lines of argument I have ever encoutnered on NT.

I can't prove that the Loch Ness Monster doesn't exist, but I don't believe in it, either. If someone wants you to believe in something, shouldn't there be SOME evidence to provide as to WHY you should? "Because I believe it" is a lousy reason, by the way. Some people firmly believe that the earth is flat. Should the rest of us suddenly start believing that just because they do? Ridiculous.

If you're going to argue on subjects like this, at least use some actual thought in the matter, rather than spouting off such imbecility.

-Arlos

This is not retarded or imbecillic logic, Arlos. What Harrison said with "Feel free to offer proof of the non-existence of said invisible man" is just as logical as someone saying "feel free to prove the existence of God." Neither can be "proved" per say. They are exact opposite statements.
“The more I study science the more I believe in God.” -- Albert Einstein
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Jay » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:01 pm

I get what you're saying Harrison so let me be a little more clear about it. There is no scientist who will debate how the world was created. They all seem to agree on how things work and they also seem to validate each other scientists' theories. Everything they do can be explained. Maybe I won't understand it without proper study, but explainable nonetheless. Every theory or scientific fact bears the burden of experimentation, which then turns it into a theory or fact which scientists deliver time and time again.
Jay

Postby Tikker » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:15 pm

Narrock wrote:
This is not retarded or imbecillic logic, Arlos. What Harrison said with "Feel free to offer proof of the non-existence of said invisible man" is just as logical as someone saying "feel free to prove the existence of God." Neither can be "proved" per say. They are exact opposite statements.

here's proof then

If god exists, he can feel free to kill me now (or mindia, or harrison, whichever is more convenient)

if I can't post 30 seconds from now, I guess you get to win the arguement!
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Tikker » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:36 pm

I win, you lose
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Jay » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:41 pm

Tikker wrote:I win, you lose

I waited for like 2 minutes and started to fear for the worst. I'm now relieved.
Jay

Postby Tikker » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:47 pm

I thought if i posted exactly at 30 seconds that people would claim he was busy or something, even though he's sposed to have that whole omniscient/omnipotent thing going on
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Jay » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:51 pm

/shrug. Earth took him 7 days. Technology has advanced since then though. Maybe he has more RAM now.
Jay

Postby Narrock » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:52 pm

Tikker wrote:I win, you lose

You certainly win at being retarded.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Tikker » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:58 pm

Your wit knows absolutely no bounds Mindia
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Arlos » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:01 am

Actually, they're very different types of assertions, assuming a baseline of no belief. I can see your argument if a fervent believer in God (or some other diety, etc) says "OK, I'll stop believing if you can prove that He (or whatever euphemism you choose) does NOT exist." In that case, yes, that would be something of an opposition.

However, that's not the basis under which Harrison made that statement.

The way he put it was that with a starting belief in nothing, that unless you could PROVE that you shouldn't believe in something, you should start.

ie, take an athiest. He doesnt' believe in God, and says he would like some sort of evidence to change his belief position from non-belief to belief. By Harrison's argument, he should change his belief no matter what, unless one can PROVE God's non-existence.

The problem with that, though, is that there's an infinity of things that do not exist, or that only exist in the beliefs of some. Should he then adopt the belief of ALL of those other concepts, merely because it cannot be proved that they do not exist? I say that's ludicrous.

That's why Harrison's argument is laughable and utterly unsupportable, because it was predicated on the starting condition of not believing.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tikker » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:53 am

exactly
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Xaiveir » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:34 am

Tikker wrote:
Harrison wrote:
Tikker thinks he's better than someone for believing x.

what I believe or don't believe(or what you believe) has nothing to do with why I think I'm better than you~

Yes, he is better for Believing in X (me) :hiphop:
Why fight it, i am a Man Whore!
Xaiveir
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Narrock » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:12 am

Xaiveir wrote:
Tikker wrote:
Harrison wrote:
Tikker thinks he's better than someone for believing x.

what I believe or don't believe(or what you believe) has nothing to do with why I think I'm better than you~

Yes, he is better for Believing in X (me) :hiphop:

:lol:
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Harrison » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:26 pm

Hey, not that you flew off the handle or anything :ugh: but you might want to slow the fuck down chief.

I do not believe in anything simply because there's no proof of its nonexistence.

I just don't sit around claiming it doesn't because I lack proof it DOES exist, like a moron would.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Ganzo » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:22 pm

Did everyone suddenly forgot difrence between "believe" and "know". This is most retarded argument ever
גם זה יעבור

Narrock wrote:Yup, I ... was just trolling.

Narrock wrote:I wikipedia'd everything first.
Ganzo
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Narrock » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:24 pm

Ganzo wrote:Did everyone suddenly forgot difrence between "believe" and "know". This is most retarded argument ever

Tikker loves to ignore the "belief" part.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby 10sun » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:22 pm

arlos wrote:Actually, they're very different types of assertions, assuming a baseline of no belief. I can see your argument if a fervent believer in God (or some other diety, etc) says "OK, I'll stop believing if you can prove that He (or whatever euphemism you choose) does NOT exist." In that case, yes, that would be something of an opposition.

If you stop believing, your God will no longer exist as right now your belief causes them to exist in your subconciousness.

Thus, king me. I'm better at checkers than you.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Previous

Return to Holy ... Discussion