The Atheist Test

General location for all religious discussion. Loosely moderated for now, we will see how things go.

Moderators: Ganzo, Dictators in Training

The Atheist Test

Postby Phlegm » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:44 am

From the Victory Baptist Church in Maryland:

http://www.victorybaptistmd.org/tracts/ ... est-1.html
Last edited by Phlegm on Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phlegm
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby araby » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:48 am

damn, I just ate a banana with a lot of black on it because I am too stupid to know that it's classified as "too late" I thought it meant "just right" :(
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Zanchief » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:53 am

Wow that was stupid.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby vonkaar » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:56 am

I fucking hate people sometimes. I want out of this fucking state. I fucking hate living in the bible belt... I swear to baby Jesus and holy Muhammad that I hear this type of logic on a weekly basis.
Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby araby » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:56 am

Zanchief wrote:Wow that was stupid.

you no longer hold the "good boy of the day" award
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Zanchief » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:59 am

I was being nice to the ladies, not to Jesus.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Xaiveir » Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:17 pm

Such mind blowing arguments there. I now know 100% that there is a god because of that webiste..............
Last edited by Xaiveir on Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why fight it, i am a Man Whore!
Xaiveir
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby kinghooter00 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:49 pm

that was dumb as shit. I hate when people take obvious things like that and try to put it into religion... :wtf:
kinghooter00
Captain Google
Captain Google

Postby Sithos » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:13 pm

After reading that I have come to the understanding there is no power greater than the Coca Cola. All must worship the Coca Cola!
Sithos
NT Oldtimer
NT Oldtimer

Postby Narrock » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:35 pm

I thought it was a cool, and interesting, parallel.
“The more I study science the more I believe in God.” -- Albert Einstein
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Tossica » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:47 pm

:dung:
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Ginzburgh » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:07 pm

:dung:
Ginzburgh
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Arlos » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:19 pm

I like how they completely fail to mention the fact that the Banana looks designed because it is: It's a carefully cultivated crop by humans that bears almost no resemblance to it's wild varieties. Indeed, the vast majority of bananas sold for consumption are of a single type, the Cavendish, *ALL* of which are clones of one particular variety that was found to be the best tasting variant that was resistant to a plant disease that wiped out the previous banana staple, the Gros Michel.

WILD bananas look incredibly different, and are actually packed with large inedible seeds. To demonstrate, here's a picture of a ripe wild banana, cut open:

So sure, the banana you can buy in a supermarket bears evidence of intelligent design, because it was designed. By humans. Indeed, almost none of the plant foods we eat today at all resemble their original wild cousins, any more than a Chihuahua resembles the wolf that humans bred it's ancestors from. Next fallacy, please.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tikker » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:23 pm

Arlos, quit introducing logic, facts and intelligence into the religion forum. It has no place here.
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Lueyen » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:10 pm

Seriously Arlos, not to argue banana theory or some such nonsense because frankly I simply find the assertions that it supports creationism or debunks evolution theory humorous, but a cultivated plant raised as a crop doesn't make it designed by man, the specific type you are referring to is found in nature is it not?

I'm sure selective breeding and cultivation are used to produce better bananas in that they are more resistant to disease and pests, grow faster, produce more fruit ect but I really think it's quite a leap to assert that the core design of the common grocery store banana was that of man and not of nature.

Not being an expert in banana farming/cultivation and reproduction I was under the impression there were seeds in the fruit... which would point to an adaptation using animals to spread the seeds, I of course found this not to be the case, so I suppose your argument is better... but seriously I think you lend more credibility then is due even arguing the point.
Raymond S. Kraft wrote:The history of the world is the history of civilizational clashes, cultural clashes. All wars are about ideas, ideas about what society and civilization should be like, and the most determined always win.

Those who are willing to be the most ruthless always win. The pacifists always lose, because the anti-pacifists kill them.
Lueyen
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Narrock » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:14 pm

Bananas have been around (in their present form) for a few hundred years right? I don't think we had the technology to genetically alter the banana that far back in time.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Trielelvan » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:29 pm

That would be incorrect Mindia. Arlos is correct - the present day banana we eat is a far cry from it's original ancestor, and man is the reason why we have a "table" banana that is sweet and succulent.
It doesn't take "technology" as we know it present day to cultivate crops. We have, in fact, been cultivating plants for more favorable properties for over a thousand years.

Another good example is the present day carrot. In it's original form, carrots are all derived from a plant with a long skinny black, white, yellow, red, or purple root that was acrid and bitter. It was a weed, and was later used in medicine.
It was a long time before man finally cultivated the current day bright orange super sweet vegetable we all know and love.
HyPhY GhEtTo MaMi wrote:GeT ofF mAh OvaRiEz
Trielelvan
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Narrock » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:35 pm

Alrighty then.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Arlos » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:32 pm

Corn is another example of a highly modified plant. Modern sweet corn is *VERY* different than the wild Maize that used to grow in the americas, or even the maize that was cultivated by the indians. Wheat is also another highly modified plant compared to the original stock plant, which was, if I remember right, called Einchorn.

Genetic modification with plants is very very easy, and doesn't even require much science; people have been doing it for hundreds and thousands of years. Remember, you can clone many plants by taking a cutting from the plant and getting a new plant to grow from that cutting. Basically, you create new strains of plants the same way that new strains of dogs were created: You find a parent that has some of the traits you want, breed it with another parent that has other traits you want, and see what offspring are produced. Hopefully, at least one of those offspring hits the genetic lottery and is closer to what you want to produce, in which case you keep it, and re-breed it with ones like it's parents, to get it even further along, etc. Those that don't come out like you want, you kill off. Hell, Mendel used such methods to prove genetic inheritance back in the 1820s with his peas.

That's how we went from wild dogs and wolves to the various dog breeds we see today, human-chosen selective breeding. Same way with most of the foods we eat as well. (Domestic Cows, for example, are VERY different than the stock they came from, a species called Aurochs, which went extinct during the middle ages). Bananas are just one other such example. The modern strain of Bananas wasn't even mass-grown until the mid-60s, and then only because a virulent root disease wiped out the world's supply of the previous type of banana that had been developed. Supposedly, the modern banana strain tastes way worse than the old strain, too. Notice that the bananas we eat today are basically seedless, and as such would be useless for reproducing the plant; that's an engineered trait, the same as with seedless Grapes.

Right now, a version of that same root disease has developed that kills the modern banana strain too, and has spread throughout much of the far east. So far it hasn't reached the Americas yet, but when it does, (and it's only a matter of time), either we give up bananas, or they have to come up with a new strain yet again. That's actually something companies like Dole, etc are working on hardcore, to make a new banana strain that resists the new root disease, yet still tastes good, has good texture, etc. So far, they don't have one.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tikker » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:06 pm

Lueyen wrote:
I'm sure selective breeding and cultivation are used to produce better bananas in that they are more resistant to disease and pests, grow faster, produce more fruit ect but I really think it's quite a leap to assert that the core design of the common grocery store banana was that of man and not of nature.

strawberries are another good example of a crop that's been culled to produce bigger, more resistant berries. Wild strawberries are very differnt in shape and taste from the ones you find in the stores.
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Trielelvan » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:11 pm

Tikker wrote:Wild strawberries are very differnt in shape and taste from the ones you find in the stores.

but soooo much yummier
Trielelvan
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Gargamellow » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:53 am

k thanks for convincing me there is no god np
Gargamellow
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Dimuza » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:27 pm

shit. corn = no god.

:(

p.s. you guys made me laugh many times in this thread. and that web site is all about why I'm afraid to be around most people. turns out most people are fucking idiots. can't remember who said it, but it's a good quote: "Hell is other people"
Dimuza
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby kinghooter00 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:40 pm

You guys know too fucking much about bananas and carrots...
kinghooter00
Captain Google
Captain Google

Postby Trielelvan » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:29 pm

You can never know too much.
Trielelvan
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Next

Return to Holy ... Discussion