tom cruise is the new jesus (mindia will love this)

General location for all religious discussion. Loosely moderated for now, we will see how things go.

Moderators: Ganzo, Dictators in Training

Postby Tossica » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:34 pm

Faggot pussy
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Tuggan » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:50 pm

Tossica wrote:Faggot pussy
Tuggan
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby araby » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:27 pm

Karma says that there is not cause without affect, whether it's good or bad. anytime someone makes a decision, the outcome of that decision is going to based on the initial intent behind the decision, and along the way will affect everything along it's path including other people's decisions that your initial decision effected.

I gave my 14-year-old patient a tube of Bert's Bees chapstick the other day, because his lips were all chapped to hell and back, and the next day I found two tubes that I lost. that is an example of instant karma. my good intention led to good things for me.

I dilly-dally'ed the other morning instead of getting to work on time and though I haven't seen a direct result of this...and might never...there will be one.

you may or may not even be aware of karma working-but anytime there is action with intent (good or bad) it's there...circling and coming around all the time.

it's okay if you don't believe in that, but to say that it proves itself wrong is inaccurate because 1-you have to believe in it for it prove itself wrong and 2-you can't determine whether or not karma proves itself wrong. karma is not tangible so I can understand not believing in it.
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Harrison » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:13 pm

Let's put it this way, everytime I do something with good intent, I get fucked for it. Hard...

I keep track of these things subconsciously.

Hey, that person is stuck in the snow, I'll go help him out.

Fall and break my ankle on the ice...

Etc. etc. etc.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Harrison » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:16 pm

I used to honestly, 100%, believe that God hated me.

I kind of, sort of, stopped believing there is a God in the typical sense of the word. I have a few other beliefs about God, that he's abandoned existence for the most part, doesn't give a shit about humans like we try to think, etc.
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Narrock » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:50 pm

Harrison wrote:I used to honestly, 100%, believe that God hated me.

I kind of, sort of, stopped believing there is a God in the typical sense of the word. I have a few other beliefs about God, that he's abandoned existence for the most part, doesn't give a shit about humans like we try to think, etc.

If I was God and saw all the immorality, lack of values & ethics, etc. inherent in half the population (e.g: liberalism) I would probably abandon them too. But God is compassionate and forgiving, and will probably forgive the liberals for all the bad stuff they do. /sigh
“The more I study science the more I believe in God.” -- Albert Einstein
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby 10sun » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:45 pm

Voltaire wrote:Chance is a word void of sense; nothing can exist without a cause.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby araby » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:44 pm

Harrison wrote:Let's put it this way, everytime I do something with good intent, I get fucked for it. Hard...

I keep track of these things subconsciously.

Hey, that person is stuck in the snow, I'll go help him out.

Fall and break my ankle on the ice...

Etc. etc. etc.

you keep track of things you do subconsciously? how in the world are you able to do that?

I think that anything you do for good intentions will be noticed at some point. if you feel that you haven't been paid your dues, then I'm not sure your intentions were what you thought they were, because good intention, where karma is concerned, only comes from selflessness.
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Harrison » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:49 pm

It's the same way I remember numbers without ever needing to.

I keep track of things like a catalog in my head. It's the same way I can remember what zone and level someone was when I met them 6+ years ago in EQ.

It's great really, at times.
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby araby » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:52 pm

I can identify with this and since I was twelve years old have not been able to accept that I *deep down* believe that there is God, the one that they taught me about in church.

I abandoned the faith and had none in anything. tried to get some in myself but that didn't really work out.

Once I realized that the only thing that is absolute is that voice that talks to me when I argue with it...the voice is intuition, or aka, gut feeling. when I stopped ignoring myself, I started believing in myself and found that it was much easier to deal with people, even when they hurt me, as long as I listen to myself.

only recently did I realize that I don't believe in God, the one that my parents and church wanted me to believe in. I wasn't able to say that out loud, or almost at all, for fear of the unpardonable sin, which I learned about in church.

I believe in truth, and consciousness because those two things are absolute and unable to be confused with anything else. They have always been around and continue only because human beings do. There are no other animals that we are certain can make conscious decisions or thoughts and this makes me a unique being.

my conscious is the only one that exist like it, there are no others. It's truthful and it's only around when I keep it there.

I don't think God hates you, or that you ever really felt like God hated you. I think you weren't able to find happiness and had to find a reason that you couldn't.

true happiness comes from many, many things...I believe it comes from being true to yourself and being kind to others without benefit of your own.

this is why I've struggled with my moral dilemma in the other thread. If I follow what my gut feeling tells me, then I will give my mother what she wants, because I know it will make her happy, and I will do that without thinking of myself. the ultimate reward would be incredible.

I've already fucked that one up though...by not just doing it already. she told me tonight after talking to her about how this affects me, that I have no idea about her plan to surprise me with a car.

want to talk about karma some more?
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby araby » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:54 pm

Harrison you should pick up The Essential Dali Lamai and read it. It will help you, I hope you decide to pick it up.

it's got him on the cover, with glasses looking really goofy and cheesy...you can't miss it. he's got his hand on his chin and he's grinning this huge grin haha.
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Narrock » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:41 pm

Tenzin Giatso said that when I was on my deathbed that I would receive total consciousness. haha lolz
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby araby » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:09 pm

Narrock wrote:Tenzin Giatso said that when I was on my deathbed that I would receive total consciousness. haha lolz

haha right before you go out to lose it again unless you can follow it! /blink
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Zanchief » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:17 am

Kinda arrogant of you to think you have all the answers about God, isn't it?
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Darcler » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:04 am

I believe there is no such thing, at all, as a selfless act. But that's a whole nother debate.
Darcler
Saran Wrap Princess
Saran Wrap Princess

Postby Tossica » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:06 am

Darcler wrote:I believe there is no such thing, at all, as a selfless act. But that's a whole nother debate.

Maybe not for women... selfish biznatches!
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Darcler » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:27 am

For anybody :)
Darcler
Saran Wrap Princess
Saran Wrap Princess

Postby araby » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:03 am

darcler has a point in a way, though I am sure that a selfless act is possible, I am not sure it's possible in many of our conscious minds. a mother breastfeeding her baby is an example. in physical reality, if the baby does not eat it will suffer. to avoid suffering for the baby, the mother gives her breast to him and without anything in return. she does it for the reason that she does not want the baby to suffer.

other intentions could be behind the breastfeeding, such as wanting to lose weight quicker after giving birth, or feeling like it's a way to bond with the child. however, giving the breast to the baby to prevent suffering is a selfless act. most people do not consider the person to whom they are giving, they tend to also consider themselves.

when I consider doing something for someone I always think of myself. the outcome is different then...according to my intentions. I'm not able to think of other people all the time, but when I try it feels really good.

I agree that these acts are not common because most people do not practice them. I do believe it's possible. People who believe in Jesus believe he did a selfless thing. that is why they worship him. He gave his own life without thinking of himself for the relief of suffering of others. monks have experienced inner peace which brings them enlightenment and compassion for all sentient beings and they too, relieve suffering for other sentient beings.

there are many reasons why it's hard to change thought patterns and attitudes, the monks don't live in seclusion just because...it is one way they are able to change their thoughts and attitudes, by eliminating what they cannot control-actions of other people and ways of life that are not positive.

it is admirable and quite heroic even, that the dalai lama himself has not secluded himself in recent years and chooses to live among and with modern advances and believes it is the only way to understand others and identify with life for human beings in different areas of the world. how funny, that he would choose not to seclude himself, in order to benefit others. he's not dalai lama for nothing, haha. (did anyone see the barbara walters interview with him?0
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tikker » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:06 am

araby wrote:darcler has a point in a way, though I am sure that a selfless act is possible, I am not sure it's possible in many of our conscious minds. a mother breastfeeding her baby is an example. in physical reality, if the baby does not eat it will suffer. to avoid suffering for the baby, the mother gives her breast to him and without anything in return. she does it for the reason that she does not want the baby to suffer.

that's a really bad example
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Darcler » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:14 am

Everything comes back to you (general) though.
A mother breastfeeding. Why would a mother feed her child to keep it alive? So she doesnt feel bad. Sure, she loves the child unconditionally, but she doesnt want to feel the guilt and hurt of her child not being there anymore.

Giving blood...they say thats a selfless act. But you feel good after doing it, you're helping people. You are doing it to give yourself the warm fuzzies.

It goes on and on.
Darcler
Saran Wrap Princess
Saran Wrap Princess

Postby Narrock » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:14 am

araby wrote:darcler has a point in a way, though I am sure that a selfless act is possible, I am not sure it's possible in many of our conscious minds. a mother breastfeeding her baby is an example. in physical reality, if the baby does not eat it will suffer. to avoid suffering for the baby, the mother gives her breast to him and without anything in return. she does it for the reason that she does not want the baby to suffer.

other intentions could be behind the breastfeeding, such as wanting to lose weight quicker after giving birth, or feeling like it's a way to bond with the child. however, giving the breast to the baby to prevent suffering is a selfless act. most people do not consider the person to whom they are giving, they tend to also consider themselves.

when I consider doing something for someone I always think of myself. the outcome is different then...according to my intentions. I'm not able to think of other people all the time, but when I try it feels really good.

I agree that these acts are not common because most people do not practice them. I do believe it's possible. People who believe in Jesus believe he did a selfless thing. that is why they worship him. He gave his own life without thinking of himself for the relief of suffering of others. monks have experienced inner peace which brings them enlightenment and compassion for all sentient beings and they too, relieve suffering for other sentient beings.

there are many reasons why it's hard to change thought patterns and attitudes, the monks don't live in seclusion just because...it is one way they are able to change their thoughts and attitudes, by eliminating what they cannot control-actions of other people and ways of life that are not positive.

it is admirable and quite heroic even, that the dalai lama himself has not secluded himself in recent years and chooses to live among and with modern advances and believes it is the only way to understand others and identify with life for human beings in different areas of the world. how funny, that he would choose not to seclude himself, in order to benefit others. he's not dalai lama for nothing, haha. (did anyone see the barbara walters interview with him?0

I heard he's a pretty good golfer.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby araby » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:16 am

Tikker wrote:

why is this a bad example?
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby araby » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:20 am

Darcler wrote:Everything comes back to you (general) though.
A mother breastfeeding. Why would a mother feed her child to keep it alive? So she doesnt feel bad. Sure, she loves the child unconditionally, but she doesnt want to feel the guilt and hurt of her child not being there anymore.

Giving blood...they say thats a selfless act. But you feel good after doing it, you're helping people. You are doing it to give yourself the warm fuzzies.

It goes on and on.

you asked a question that wanted to know why. "why would a mother feed her child to keep it alive?"

you as a mother could answer this question for yourself but you couldn't answer it for another mother. a mother with the intent to feed the baby and nurture it and love it is thinking more of the baby than herself.

a mother with the intent to avoid guilt if she doesn't feed the baby, has different intent than the mother who wants to feed her baby.

giving blood, if you do not consider what you "get out of it" like a buzz, is a good example of a selfless act. however, there is always intent and that is individually unique.

my father gave blood because he knew it was the one thing he could do to keep his career and reputation going in a positive direction, he got something out of it. he felt good after doing something for someone else, but not without thinking of himself. there are few people who are able to do it, again it is a difficult thing to change your thoughts and attitude.
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tikker » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:00 pm

araby wrote:
Tikker wrote:

why is this a bad example?

being a good mother(of even adequate) has nothing to do with being selfless
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Harrison » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:49 pm

Zanchief wrote:

Kinda arrogant of you to think you have all the answers about God, isn't it?

I don't have all of the answers, and I am hardly closed to any possibility otherwise.

These are my personal beliefs that have no bearing on absolution.
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Holy ... Discussion