Hell

General location for all religious discussion. Loosely moderated for now, we will see how things go.

Moderators: Ganzo, Dictators in Training

Hell

Postby The Kizzy » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:24 pm

So the Bible says that hell is an ever burning fiery pit. My question is, what if you aren't afraid or rather enjoy fire? I think that Hell is you being trapped in your own personal nightmare over and over. Like I am afraid of the dark, so for me Hell would be dark forever.
Zanchief wrote:
Harrison wrote:I'm not dead

Fucker never listens to me. That's it, I'm an atheist.
The Kizzy
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Lueyen » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:58 pm

Many parts of the Bible refer to fire, furnace and burning in what appears to be a quite literal reference to hell. Even if you are a pyromaniac, it's unlikely you would enjoy having fire consume you. What is clear is that hell is a place of ultimate torment, so perhaps the idea of an individual hell based on an acquiesce of fire warranting something worse has some validity.
Raymond S. Kraft wrote:The history of the world is the history of civilizational clashes, cultural clashes. All wars are about ideas, ideas about what society and civilization should be like, and the most determined always win.

Those who are willing to be the most ruthless always win. The pacifists always lose, because the anti-pacifists kill them.
Lueyen
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby araby » Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:04 am

to consider that you burn alive, forever, without ever dying, is probably the worst way anyone could assume spending eternity. I am hesitant to believe that literally. "hell" is the opposite of heaven, in a way, and it is only the "eternity" of someone who believes that their soul will *be* in eternity and just as heaven is happy, hell is not, and just as I believe in personal happiness I do believe in a personal hell.

I believe, much like Phillip K. Dick wrote...that there is a force, greater than the hand of God and it exists as long as a person allows it to exist. If hell to you is the fact that no one loves you, ever will love you and that you will die alone and miserable, then chances are that will be your hell, for eternity, if you believe in one.
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Iccarra » Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:44 am

Hell is north of here. ;)

Iccarra
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby brinstar » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:38 am

i road tripped there once!
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby The Kizzy » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:51 am

We went to a Halloween party at the Damn DAm there once, it was a trip, the satan was scarier than any satan you have ever seen in a movie, he one top price, and the invisible man (literally, all you saw above the trenchcoat was a pair of sunglasses and a hat) won second. I think the Chiquita banana lady won third
Zanchief wrote:
Harrison wrote:I'm not dead

Fucker never listens to me. That's it, I'm an atheist.
The Kizzy
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Snero » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:25 am

my uncle is a priest who writes books about this sort of thing. He believes that there is no hell, god is forgiving, and hell is simply a tool that is used to encourage sinners to maintain a good life

he wrote a book called "we are all going to heaven".

if there were more priests like him, i would have a higher opinion of organized religion. Of course he still has some views i don't like, but at least I respect him
Snero
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Martrae » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:39 am

Why? Cuz he makes you feel good about 'sins' you may have done?
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Zanchief » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:47 am

Because he's not a judgmental prick, I would think.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Snero » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:05 am

the main reason I like this way of thinking, is he is actually showing some independant thought more than simply regurgitating whatever he is, or was told. He's studied the bible and he came to his own conclusions regarding interpretation. He then wrote books based on these thought

I respect him for many reasons, one thing I appreciate is that he doesn't try to actively convert people. He's not out there with his bible telling people they're sinners and they're going to hell. He engages in rational conversation, pointing out the reasons he believes the way he does, and admits that there are certain flaws.
Snero
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Martrae » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:14 am

Cool...all good solid reasons. :)

Sounds like his church is lucky to have him.
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Phlegm » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:24 am

Snero wrote:the main reason I like this way of thinking, is he is actually showing some independant thought more than simply regurgitating whatever he is, or was told. He's studied the bible and he came to his own conclusions regarding interpretation. He then wrote books based on these thought

I respect him for many reasons, one thing I appreciate is that he doesn't try to actively convert people. He's not out there with his bible telling people they're sinners and they're going to hell. He engages in rational conversation, pointing out the reasons he believes the way he does, and admits that there are certain flaws.

The Pope is going to kick him out for being a heretic.
Phlegm
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Iccarra » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:55 am

Phlegm wrote:
Snero wrote:the main reason I like this way of thinking, is he is actually showing some independant thought more than simply regurgitating whatever he is, or was told. He's studied the bible and he came to his own conclusions regarding interpretation. He then wrote books based on these thought

The Pope is going to kick him out for being a heretic.

If he were Catholic maybe, but I didn't see that mentioned. :dunno:
Iccarra
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby Phlegm » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:56 am

I thought all priests were Catholics.
Phlegm
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Snero » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:32 pm

he is catholic
Snero
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Iccarra » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:36 pm

Phlegm wrote:I thought all priests were Catholics.

No, there is at least the Episcopal church that have priests as well...but I see Snero already confirmed his uncle is Catholic. Since I'm not Catholic nor have I studied the religion...I couldn't tell you what is or isn't allowed.
Iccarra
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby Harrison » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:01 pm

I don't think humans are capable of being happy for eternity.

I don't believe that we could go somewhere with other humans, for eternity, and ever truly be happy.

I can't think of a single time when if everything was perfect, that I would be content with my "life" for eternity.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Zanchief » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:30 pm

Harrison wrote:I don't think humans are capable of being happy for eternity.

I don't believe that we could go somewhere with other humans, for eternity, and ever truly be happy.

I can't think of a single time when if everything was perfect, that I would be content with my "life" for eternity.

I pretty much agree 100% with this. The idea of anything for eternity could only appeal to the most weak willed individuals. Eternal salvation is a carrot on a stick for people who truly have no concept of how long eternity really is.

I know that's judgmental and all but bah, that's how I feel. Heaven and Hell are really childish notions IMO.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Burgy99 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:40 pm

Zanchief wrote:
Harrison wrote:I don't think humans are capable of being happy for eternity.

I pretty much agree 100% with this. The idea of anything for eternity could only appeal to the most weak willed individuals. Eternal salvation is a carrot on a stick for people who truly have no concept of how long eternity really is.

I know that's judgmental and all but bah, that's how I feel. Heaven and Hell are really childish notions IMO.

I agree about the Heaven and Hell thing being childish, especially the literal meaning taken directly from the bible. But Zan, even Harrison, do you believe in any form of afterlife at all, or do you believe that we simply just stop existing entirely?
Burgy99
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby Harrison » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:02 pm

I'm not sure, there is no indicator in this life of such a thing.

I can't wrap my head around the idea of an existence created simply for a single race of beings that just got lucky on the evolutionary scale.

I believe there was a "God" of sorts who created existence, as we know it, and has long since been gone from our reality. Physically, for all we know, we are a fucking science experiment for some extra planar beings outside of our reality.

Until I have some major spiritual influence to suggest otherwise, this energy inside my brain, effectively who I am, dies with my body.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby araby » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:18 pm

I am reading VALIS right now by Philip K. Dick and it can fuck with my head if I'm not careful.
Last edited by araby on Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Darcler » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:58 pm

When I think of Afterlife, I can only really wrap my head around your body dieing, but your mind going on, giving you a happy dream, which could be interpreted as Heaven. But even that is a stretch for me. I think after we die, thats it.

Often when I drive, I get this feeling that I had a wreck and my mind is just going on, in a dream of my normal life. If freaks me out sometimes, but I snap out of it pretty quick.
Darcler
Saran Wrap Princess
Saran Wrap Princess

Postby KaiineTN » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:54 am

Have you ever had a dream in which you are someone other than yourself and have it still feel real? Have you ever considered the thought, what if I'm that something else, dreaming that I'm human? It's far fetched I know, but thought provoking nonetheless.

I don't think I believe in an afterlife, at least not one that we would be conscious of. I kind of fall in line with some of the more eastern beliefs in that we are all part of a greater whole. We are all part of the universe. We aren't separate from it, though we like to think we are. I don't buy into the idea of reincarnation much though. It seems to be wishful thinking, just as Heaven and Hell. But honestly, I would prefer reincarnation over Heaven. I expect nothing, so even Hell would be welcoming.
KaiineTN
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Zanchief » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:07 am

Then who made the extra planar being?

I don't believe in an afterlife but I do believe in reincarnation of sorts.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby araby » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:37 pm

time is space. every second that passes the universe expands.
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Next

Return to Holy ... Discussion