Why do you.....

General location for all religious discussion. Loosely moderated for now, we will see how things go.

Moderators: Ganzo, Dictators in Training

Why do you.....

Postby Sithos » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:24 am

For those who believe in God as defined by the bible. I don't want to argue existance or non existance.

But I want to know why you worship a god who flooded the world because we didn't worship him and killed everyone but a select few, who destroys cities that don't worship him,who tells people that in order to prove their love for him they are tested and told to sacrafice their own children to him. Same god who let his own son perish in what can only be extreme agony because his son loved humankind and wanted to save us from Gods wrath.

Do you believe that throughout the history in the bible that this is someone worthy of your love and adoration? If so explain why. I myself don't see a loving,caring nor kind God. But rather I see a petty and vindictive god who kills or destroys.
Sithos
NT Oldtimer
NT Oldtimer

Postby Agrajag » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:29 am

The sheep need someone to blame their problems on rather than take responsibility and be accountable for their own actions.
Agrajag
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Ginzburgh » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:30 am

Because I was raised Catholic and it's imbedded into my nature. If you want to call it brainwashing, ok.
Ginzburgh
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Re: Why do you.....

Postby Narrock » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:36 am

Sithos wrote:For those who believe in God as defined by the bible. I don't want to argue existance or non existance.

But I want to know why you worship a god who flooded the world because we didn't worship him and killed everyone but a select few, who destroys cities that don't worship him,who tells people that in order to prove their love for him they are tested and told to sacrafice their own children to him. Same god who let his own son perish in what can only be extreme agony because his son loved humankind and wanted to save us from Gods wrath.

Do you believe that throughout the history in the bible that this is someone worthy of your love and adoration? If so explain why. I myself don't see a loving,caring nor kind God. But rather I see a petty and vindictive god who kills or destroys.

God was appalled by human behavior, so He layed the smackdown on it. God gives me strength when I'm suffering. So that's my answer for you.
“The more I study science the more I believe in God.” -- Albert Einstein
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Ginzburgh » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:39 am

rofl, why do suffer?

Why do you need a crutch when you are suffering? You're not man enough to suck it up and deal with it yourself without relying on God to give you strength?

And here I thought truck drivers were tough dudes.
Ginzburgh
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Narrock » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:47 am

Ginzburgh wrote:rofl, why do suffer?

Why do you need a crutch when you are suffering? You're not man enough to suck it up and deal with it yourself without relying on God to give you strength?

And here I thought truck drivers were tough dudes.

:lol:

What I mean by "God gives me strength when I'm suffering" is that there are passages in the Bible that give comfort when you're feeling down about something negative in your life. There's also people who swear that the Holy Spirit is interceding and making it better.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Agrajag » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:49 am

A ghost is helping you through times of trouble? Hrm...
Agrajag
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Narrock » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:51 am

Agrajag wrote:A ghost is helping you through times of trouble? Hrm...

Yeah, you know... the Holy Trinity? The Father, The Son, and the Holy Spirit?
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Agrajag » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:55 am

Yeah, I do know. I was raised Catholic. That is how I know it is all a bunch of bunk.
Agrajag
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Ginzburgh » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:56 am

?
Ginzburgh
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Narrock » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:57 am

Agrajag wrote:Yeah, I do know. I was raised Catholic. That is how I know it is all a bunch of bunk.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Arlos » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:58 am

It's actally apparently a deeply embedded part of human nature to believe in higher powers, etc. Every single society we know of has some kind of belief in God, gods, powerful spirits of nature, etc. Even going back as far as we have any information on in history, you can see the same tendencies, even among ice age homo sapiens. WHY that is, I have no idea, but it's manifestly a fact about our species. Today, the dominant belief structure in our country and most of the western world is Christianity, so that is what people are most familiar with and is ingrained into them. If you'd been raised believing in Odin & Thor, or perhaps Ishtar, Marduk and Ea, you'd find them as normal and logical as people today do Christianity.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Trielelvan » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:01 pm

Ginzburgh wrote:Image

?

LMAO :lol:
HyPhY GhEtTo MaMi wrote:GeT ofF mAh OvaRiEz
Trielelvan
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Ginzburgh » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:02 pm

The father, Son and the Holy Bruce Willis.
Ginzburgh
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Agrajag » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:08 pm

Arlos wrote:It's actally apparently a deeply embedded part of human nature to believe in higher powers, etc. Every single society we know of has some kind of belief in God, gods, powerful spirits of nature, etc. Even going back as far as we have any information on in history, you can see the same tendencies, even among ice age homo sapiens. WHY that is, I have no idea, but it's manifestly a fact about our species. Today, the dominant belief structure in our country and most of the western world is Christianity, so that is what people are most familiar with and is ingrained into them. If you'd been raised believing in Odin & Thor, or perhaps Ishtar, Marduk and Ea, you'd find them as normal and logical as people today do Christianity.

-Arlos

I've said it before and I'll say it again. God was an invention to explain the unexplainable back when people first came down from the trees and had no knowledge of science. It was also a convenient way to take blame away from an individual and pass it on to some unprovable being.
Agrajag
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Re: Why do you.....

Postby Trielelvan » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:15 pm

Sithos wrote:For those who believe in God as defined by the bible. I don't want to argue existance or non existance.

I realize this is probably useless, but he was rather specific. :domotwak: :twak:
Trielelvan
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Ginzburgh » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:17 pm

I believe he said "I don't want to argue existance or non existance".
Ginzburgh
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Trielelvan » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:20 pm

I... but.. damn >< touche'
Trielelvan
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Agrajag » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:21 pm

Ginzburgh wrote:I believe he said "I don't want to argue existance or non existance".

And technically, he isn't doing the arguing.
Agrajag
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby 10sun » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:22 pm

because God is the only constant in this fucked up world of ours.

Thats what I would say if I were religious.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Narrock » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:33 pm

Agrajag wrote:
Arlos wrote:It's actally apparently a deeply embedded part of human nature to believe in higher powers, etc. Every single society we know of has some kind of belief in God, gods, powerful spirits of nature, etc. Even going back as far as we have any information on in history, you can see the same tendencies, even among ice age homo sapiens. WHY that is, I have no idea, but it's manifestly a fact about our species. Today, the dominant belief structure in our country and most of the western world is Christianity, so that is what people are most familiar with and is ingrained into them. If you'd been raised believing in Odin & Thor, or perhaps Ishtar, Marduk and Ea, you'd find them as normal and logical as people today do Christianity.

-Arlos

I've said it before and I'll say it again. God was an invention to explain the unexplainable back when people first came down from the trees and had no knowledge of science. It was also a convenient way to take blame away from an individual and pass it on to some unprovable being.

So did they climb down from trees, or slither up to land from the murky bogs? Darwinians crack me up. :rofl:
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Ginzburgh » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:42 pm

As opposed to walking on water, healing the sick with a touch and turning water into wine?

How about a bush engulfed in flames that also happens to talk?
Ginzburgh
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Agrajag » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:54 pm

Narrock wrote:So did they climb down from trees, or slither up to land from the murky bogs? Darwinians crack me up. :rofl:

Crawl (slither) before you walk, silly.
Agrajag
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby numatu » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:40 pm

Don't forget the huge incestuous orgy that apparently started the human race
numatu
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby The Kizzy » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:04 pm

Well, I believe because that is the way I was raised. I am not a gambling person, if believeing in God and trying to live right is what is going to give me a happily ever after in eternity, then who cares if I choose to believe that? What do I have to lose? It would be different if I had faith in a religion that said I had to procreate every 2 years and kill that child in a sadistic fashion to gain entrance into heaven. Who am I hurting believing what I believe in? Noone.
Zanchief wrote:
Harrison wrote:I'm not dead

Fucker never listens to me. That's it, I'm an atheist.
The Kizzy
NT Patron
NT Patron

Next

Return to Holy ... Discussion