The Dragon In My Garage

General location for all religious discussion. Loosely moderated for now, we will see how things go.

Moderators: Ganzo, Dictators in Training

The Dragon In My Garage

Postby Naethyn » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:12 pm

The Dragon In My Garage
by
Carl Sagan
"A fire-breathing dragon lives in my garage"

Suppose (I'm following a group therapy approach by the psychologist Richard Franklin) I seriously make such an assertion to you. Surely you'd want to check it out, see for yourself. There have been innumerable stories of dragons over the centuries, but no real evidence. What an opportunity!

"Show me," you say. I lead you to my garage. You look inside and see a ladder, empty paint cans, an old tricycle--but no dragon.

"Where's the dragon?" you ask.

"Oh, she's right here," I reply, waving vaguely. "I neglected to mention that she's an invisible dragon."

You propose spreading flour on the floor of the garage to capture the dragon's footprints.

"Good idea," I say, "but this dragon floates in the air."

Then you'll use an infrared sensor to detect the invisible fire.

"Good idea, but the invisible fire is also heatless."

You'll spray-paint the dragon and make her visible.

"Good idea, but she's an incorporeal dragon and the paint won't stick."

And so on. I counter every physical test you propose with a special explanation of why it won't work.

Now, what's the difference between an invisible, incorporeal, floating dragon who spits heatless fire and no dragon at all? If there's no way to disprove my contention, no conceivable experiment that would count against it, what does it mean to say that my dragon exists? Your inability to invalidate my hypothesis is not at all the same thing as proving it true. Claims that cannot be tested, assertions immune to disproof are veridically worthless, whatever value they may have in inspiring us or in exciting our sense of wonder. What I'm asking you to do comes down to believing, in the absence of evidence, on my say-so.

The only thing you've really learned from my insistence that there's a dragon in my garage is that something funny is going on inside my head. You'd wonder, if no physical tests apply, what convinced me. The possibility that it was a dream or a hallucination would certainly enter your mind. But then, why am I taking it so seriously? Maybe I need help. At the least, maybe I've seriously underestimated human fallibility.

Imagine that, despite none of the tests being successful, you wish to be scrupulously open-minded. So you don't outright reject the notion that there's a fire-breathing dragon in my garage. You merely put it on hold. Present evidence is strongly against it, but if a new body of data emerge you're prepared to examine it and see if it convinces you. Surely it's unfair of me to be offended at not being believed; or to criticize you for being stodgy and unimaginative-- merely because you rendered the Scottish verdict of "not proved."

Imagine that things had gone otherwise. The dragon is invisible, all right, but footprints are being made in the flour as you watch. Your infrared detector reads off-scale. The spray paint reveals a jagged crest bobbing in the air before you. No matter how skeptical you might have been about the existence of dragons--to say nothing about invisible ones--you must now acknowledge that there's something here, and that in a preliminary way it's consistent with an invisible, fire-breathing dragon.

Now another scenario: Suppose it's not just me. Suppose that several people of your acquaintance, including people who you're pretty sure don't know each other, all tell you that they have dragons in their garages--but in every case the evidence is maddeningly elusive. All of us admit we're disturbed at being gripped by so odd a conviction so ill-supported by the physical evidence. None of us is a lunatic. We speculate about what it would mean if invisible dragons were really hiding out in garages all over the world, with us humans just catching on. I'd rather it not be true, I tell you. But maybe all those ancient European and Chinese myths about dragons weren't myths at all.

Gratifyingly, some dragon-size footprints in the flour are now reported. But they're never made when a skeptic is looking. An alternative explanation presents itself. On close examination it seems clear that the footprints could have been faked. Another dragon enthusiast shows up with a burnt finger and attributes it to a rare physical manifestation of the dragon's fiery breath. But again, other possibilities exist. We understand that there are other ways to burn fingers besides the breath of invisible dragons. Such "evidence"--no matter how important the dragon advocates consider it--is far from compelling. Once again, the only sensible approach is tentatively to reject the dragon hypothesis, to be open to future physical data, and to wonder what the cause might be that so many apparently sane and sober people share the same strange delusion.

http://www.users.qwest.net/~jcosta3/article_dragon.htm

I find this article very interesting as I can make the claim that an invisible dragon exists in my garage and there is no way for you to prove or disprove it otherwise.

There is a history of dragons in both western and eastern ancient cultures. Yet, beyond the lore written thousands of years ago by bronze age men there is no proof that they have ever existed.

The mystifying aspect is what supports believability. Point back to the assertion that there is an invisible dragon in my garage. If enough people you know all state that they have dragons in their garage too it gains believability. The believability is only supported by the fact that there is ancient lore describing it, as well as many people claiming there is an invisible dragon in their garage - Even though there is no evidence.

All of this runs parallel to anything that tries to make the claim that an invisible, untouchable, and more importantly unprovable force exists. In many cases there is ancient lore describing it, a group of people believing in it, and it becomes true.

Of course making any of these assertions is within the base that reality is in fact real, or the latin term Ceteris paribus. "with other things [being] the same"

Beyond that it isn't a matter of believability but a question of reality, and your definition of real.

"There is no spoon."
Maeya wrote:And then your head just aches from having your hair pulled so tight for so long...
Naethyn
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Re: The Dragon In My Garage

Postby Tikker » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:13 pm

there may not be a spoon, but the crutch is pretty easy to see
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Kramer » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:14 pm

yeah. it is all faith. i think most people on this board agree that there is no logical basis for religion. even the christians.

anyone who tries to concretely prove anything about christianity concerning the mystical aspect of it is sadly fooled.
Mindia is seriously the greatest troll that has ever lived.
    Kramer
    NT Traveller
    NT Traveller

Postby Tikker » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:54 pm

Tikker
    NT Legend
    NT Legend

Postby araby » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:53 pm

my son is obsessed with dragons.
    araby
    Nappy Headed Ho
    Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Evermore » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:15 am

I have a some in my tattoo.
    For you
    Evermore
    NT Deity
    NT Deity

Postby Granh » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:25 pm

He's trying to catch the dragon?
    Kitty Litter for the Mind
    Granh
    NT Froglok
    NT Froglok

Postby araby » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:30 pm

that vid is no longer available but I wonder if it's the same thing I saw the other night on south park...

"you never catch the dragon dad!"
    araby
    Nappy Headed Ho
    Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Naethyn » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:19 am

I think that dragon refers to the endless pursuit of treadmill games. Constant injections of satisfaction with an unobtainable goal.
    Maeya wrote:And then your head just aches from having your hair pulled so tight for so long...
    Naethyn
    NT Traveller
    NT Traveller

Postby Ouchyfish » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:36 am

The day is coming when more people believe in WWE Smackdown than in Jesus and when that happens a grasshopper with 12 legs will descend down upon us from the heavens and proclaim to all mankind that the day of Udaewavay has begun.
    Lyion wrote:If Hillary wins Texas and Ohio, she'll win the nomination.

Tossica wrote:Seriously, there is NO WAY Sony is going to put HD-DVD out of the game.
    Ouchyfish
    NT Patron
    NT Patron

Postby araby » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:40 am

Naethyn wrote:I think that dragon refers to the endless pursuit of treadmill games. Constant injections of satisfaction with an unobtainable goal.

okay that was the joke they were referencing...I just didn't realize it was "treadmill games" that's the first I've heard that term. Funny!
    araby
    Nappy Headed Ho
    Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Harrison » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:09 pm

It doesn't refer to the game. It refers to musicians who often turn to drugs, specifically heroin.

It even makes it a bit obvious.
    How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
    Harrison
    NT Legend
    NT Legend

Postby araby » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:17 pm

I'm confused. I was half-watching the episode but I caught the premise (at least I thought).

At the end Mr. Marsh was in his underwear playing "catch the dragon" on PS when stan comes in and sees him and says "DAd you never catch the dragon!!" all of this being after trying Guitar Hero and sucking.

If it wasn't referring to the "treadmill games" then I guess they were playing on the fact that Mr. Marsh sucked at being a faux-musician on a video game...somehow that plays into the drug factor...I don't know, again I was half-watching.
    araby
    Nappy Headed Ho
    Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Naethyn » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:27 am

Whenever I had to describe WoW to somone I would say it's constant injections of excitement. Ohh I got this. Ohh if I kill 40 of these I'll get one of those. Kinda like everquest, but far more often. When I saw that episode it connected for me.
    Naethyn
    NT Traveller
    NT Traveller

Postby 10sun » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:13 am

Just watching the clip it made me think more of how every rockstar eventually resorts to heroin.
    10sun
    NT Drunkard
    NT Drunkard

Postby Harrison » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:00 pm

That was the intention. It had nothing to do with the game beyond its reference to guitar players and rock bands concerning drug use.

Not "treadmill" games...
    How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
    Harrison
    NT Legend
    NT Legend

Return to Holy ... Discussion