Scientologist - Tom Cruise, at your service.

General location for all religious discussion. Loosely moderated for now, we will see how things go.

Moderators: Ganzo, Dictators in Training

Scientologist - Tom Cruise, at your service.

Postby Tossica » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:48 pm

Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Re: Scientologist - Tom Cruise, at your service.

Postby Tikker » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:17 pm

OFF THE DEEP END
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby araby » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:50 pm

what is the message? it makes no sense how he's so excited over what seems to be knowledge that no one knows. he's laughing and excited over basically nothing, in that respect.

spectators on the field or out of the arena?

educate the new reality? what new reality? I still don't get the message. seems like a message that great would surface quicker.
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby araby » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:07 pm

yah, you gotta pay for it. it seems unethical to pay for something like that. one of those comments reminded me of what I was thinking..the end looked like a trailer for Magnolia 2.
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tossica » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:08 pm

I think it's some sort of achievement award he got that was for Scientologists eyes only and was leaked to the public.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby araby » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:56 pm

I keep waiting for someone to log into the NT and PM me about how I can be enlightened. I am not even sure the people who watched that knew what he was talking about. How is it possible to follow?

No I mean, I got that it was a vid for their eyes only, but the message he's talking about and the number of people they say they've gotten to, how is that realistic? No one still even really knows wtf they are doing. I've read the website, I've flipped through books, I don't ever get to the gist. I honestly don't believe they do, either.
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Gypsiyee » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:20 am

What the hell is he even on about..? I don't get it man. I don't get scientology at all; all I've seen of it makes no sense, and then you add Tom Cruise's video here to the mix and it sounds like they just basically believe they're the saviors of the universe and are the only ones who can help anyone?

what a freakin nutjob
"I think you may be confusing government running amok with government doing stuff you don't like. See, you're in the minority now. It's supposed to taste like a shit taco." - Jon Stewart
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Kramer » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:50 pm

i wouldn't be suprised if the bizarre-azz details of Cruise's life will be like some strange government file not to be released until 50 years after his death
Mindia is seriously the greatest troll that has ever lived.
    Kramer
    NT Traveller
    NT Traveller

Postby Harrison » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:37 pm

http://digg.com/security/Raid_on_Scientology_1_18_08

4chan is attacking scientology :rofl: (and fuck you Mozilla, I am not capitalizing it)
    How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
    Harrison
    NT Legend
    NT Legend

Postby Arlos » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:56 am

Linky no work.

As for the original video, I looked up one of the acronyms he used right at the beginning, and then one he used later.

KSW = Keep Scientology Working. This is not as simple an item as it seems, though. Basically, what this refers to is a guide by Hubbard that basically says that if you disagree with any of Hubbard's positions on ANY matter, then you are dragging Scientology down. So, you are supposed to work every single day to make sure your beliefs and ideas conform EXACTLY to all of Hubbard's on each and every subject and topic, so that you too can contribute to the forward progress of scientology, or, as it says, "Keeping Scientology Working".

That's why he was going on about people being on board, or out of the way. Either suborn your own critical thinking process and march in lockstep to Hubbard's commandments, or you're not a good scientologist, and you either need to correct your behavior or get out of the way.

Pretty scary, really.

Another acronym he used was SP. That stands for "Suppressive Person", which is very broadly defined as anyone who opposes or denigrates scientology in any way. Scientologists are supposed to have nothing whatsoever to do with SPs in any way, even if they're a family member. People who leave scientology are automatically labeled SPs, and all scientology followers are supposed to ostracize and shun them. There are many reports of 1 kid of a family breaking away from the cult, and as a result, their parents and siblings haven't spoken to them in 20 years.

Scientology is scary...

-Arlos
    Arlos
    Admin Abuse Squad
    Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tikker » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:24 am

scientology is about the same as christianity, except people have mellowed in the fervor for christianity over the years
    Tikker
    NT Legend
    NT Legend

Postby Harrison » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:03 am

Tikker wrote:scientology is about the same as christianity, except people have mellowed in the fervor for christianity over the years

The two aren't comparable and I'm not even Christian.
    Harrison
    NT Legend
    NT Legend

Postby Arlos » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:12 am

I wouldn't call them exactly the same, no, but there are some definite parallels, such as the discouraging of independent thought in favor of complete adherence to dogma handed down from on high, etc.

That said, Christian churches don't make their members spend $20,000+ for "advancing levels" which essentially consist of hooking yourself up to a lobotomized version of an EKG machine which some higher up scans for dial motions that supposedly give evidence of "Body Thetans". (no, I didn't make that dollar figure up. The highest levels cost even more than that) Christian churches also don't tend to send dirty tricks teams to scour through detractor's trash piles and then engage in directed campaigns to drive said detractors insane. (which scientologists HAVE done)

Of course, Christianity has, as one of its holiest scraments, what could easily be interpreted as ritual cannibalism, what with "divine power" supposedly converting the host and the wine into the LITERAL flesh and blood of Jesus, which are then consumed avidly by the worshipers.

-Arlos
    Arlos
    Admin Abuse Squad
    Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tossica » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:21 am

Arlos wrote:I wouldn't call them exactly the same, no, but there are some definite parallels, such as the discouraging of independent thought in favor of complete adherence to dogma handed down from on high, etc.

That said, Christian churches don't make their members spend $20,000+ for "advancing levels" which essentially consist of hooking yourself up to a lobotomized version of an EKG machine which some higher up scans for dial motions that supposedly give evidence of "Body Thetans". (no, I didn't make that dollar figure up. The highest levels cost even more than that) Christian churches also don't tend to send dirty tricks teams to scour through detractor's trash piles and then engage in directed campaigns to drive said detractors insane. (which scientologists HAVE done)

Of course, Christianity has, as one of its holiest scraments, what could easily be interpreted as ritual cannibalism, what with "divine power" supposedly converting the host and the wine into the LITERAL flesh and blood of Jesus, which are then consumed avidly by the worshipers.

-Arlos

AKAIK, Scientologists have not slaughtered millions of nonbelievers throughout history in the name of their god either.
    Tossica
    NT Patron
    NT Patron

Postby Arlos » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:38 am

This is also true. Trust me, as a follower of a religion who still refers to the period of the Inquisitions as "The Burning Time", I am unlikely to EVER forget that particular aspect of Church history. Where do you think part of my fervor at keeping religions and institutional churches out of positions of temporal power comes from?

-Arlos
    Arlos
    Admin Abuse Squad
    Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tikker » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:56 am

Harrison wrote:
    Tikker wrote:scientology is about the same as christianity, except people have mellowed in the fervor for christianity over the years

you're also not smart enough to see the parallel I was pointing out, thanks for playing
    Tikker
    NT Legend
    NT Legend

Postby Martrae » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:17 pm

Tossica wrote:
    Arlos wrote:I wouldn't call them exactly the same, no, but there are some definite parallels, such as the discouraging of independent thought in favor of complete adherence to dogma handed down from on high, etc.

-Arlos

AKAIK, Scientologists have not slaughtered millions of nonbelievers throughout history in the name of their god either.

Give them time, it took the Christians a couple hundred years to get around to it. ;)
    Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
    Martrae
    Admin Abuse Squad
    Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Jay » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:50 pm

Arlos wrote:This is also true. Trust me, as a follower of a religion who still refers to the period of the Inquisitions as "The Burning Time", I am unlikely to EVER forget that particular aspect of Church history. Where do you think part of my fervor at keeping religions and institutional churches out of positions of temporal power comes from?

-Arlos

Why is it you never actually say your religion?
    leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
    Jay
    Nappy Headed Ho
    Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tikker » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:51 pm

he has, i think

he's wiccan I think
    Tikker
    NT Legend
    NT Legend

Postby Harrison » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:51 pm

Tikker wrote:
    Harrison wrote:

you're also not smart enough to see the parallel I was pointing out, thanks for playing

:rolleyes:

I shit on you.
    Harrison
    NT Legend
    NT Legend

Postby Harrison » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:52 pm

P.S. the attack starts in an hour and ten minutes, lol

This will be hilarious.
    Harrison
    NT Legend
    NT Legend

Postby Tikker » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:33 pm

Harrison wrote:
    I shit on you.

you're not qualified to wipe the shit from the bowl of my toilet
    Tikker
    NT Legend
    NT Legend

Postby Gypsiyee » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:47 pm

it's funny because it's true, and true things are funny

i like funny.
    "I think you may be confusing government running amok with government doing stuff you don't like. See, you're in the minority now. It's supposed to taste like a shit taco." - Jon Stewart
    Gypsiyee
    NT Deity
    NT Deity

Postby Harrison » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:01 pm

and they're off!
    Harrison
    NT Legend
    NT Legend

Postby Arlos » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:05 pm

I'm pagan (or wiccan if you prefer). I've said it on numerous occasions. Feri tradition, basically, to be specific. If you've ever read Starhawk's book, "The Spiral Dance", she's from one of the branches of the same tradition, so does a lot of things similarly. Originally, I was raised Catholic, forced onto me by my parents, but I haven't been that since I was 18 and had any choice in the matter. Converting to paganism happened in my mid-20s, when I really started looking into it after the germ of interest was formed from some people I knew in college, and then I met some other pagans at work, and started going to circle. I'm not overly active these days, and am basically at this point what is referred to as a solo practitioner, but I've been part of larger circles before, just am not right now. I do my own rituals at home when I feel the need, and around the major holidays.

I've made no secret of it, not sure why you never saw it posted. Figured everyone who was a regular knew quite well what I was by now. I don't go into DETAILS about it, however. The last time I did, a NT record was set, in that it took less than 5 minutes between my post and the first person posting making fun of it.

-Arlos
    Arlos
    Admin Abuse Squad
    Admin Abuse Squad

Next

Return to Holy ... Discussion