Hate on mindia and religilous ... again

General location for all religious discussion. Loosely moderated for now, we will see how things go.

Moderators: Ganzo, Dictators in Training

Hate on mindia and religilous ... again

Postby Narrock » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:42 pm

This forum ended up being a failure. It became a haven for ignorant secular morons to poke fun at Christians/Christianity. It's no wonder why Ganzo even hardly ever posts here anymore.
“The more I study science the more I believe in God.” -- Albert Einstein
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Re: We will see how this goes

Postby Gidan » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:37 pm

If you wish for people to respect your religious beliefs, you need to be willing to respect their beliefs or lack of beliefs.
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.
Gidan
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Narrock » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:07 pm

Gidan wrote:If you wish for people to respect your religious beliefs, you need to be willing to respect their beliefs or lack of beliefs.

How about the seculars start with respecting Christianity. NM... I know that will never happen.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Arlos » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:29 pm

There's a difference between respecting and wanting to live under the rules of. I respect Christians plenty, but that doesn't mean I want to live my life under Christian tenets, when I'm not Christian myself.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Re: Hate on mindia and religilous ... again

Postby Narrock » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:04 am

Why wouldn't you want to live under Christian tenets? They are pretty much just logic and common sense. Like the Ten Commandments, for example.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Nusk » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:19 am

common sense? when was the last time you kept the 4th one (keeping the sabbath day) other then seventh day adventist i know of no christians who keep this

and dont give me "it was changed to sunday" bullshit. it was changed by the catholic church to show the catholic church's temporal authority
Nusk
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby Arlos » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:56 am

Some Christian tenets are just fine. Indeed, I respect the lessons from Christ himself far more than I respect those of the religion that purports to follow him. If the entire Christian dogma was based around the one rule Christ declared to be the most important, to love oen another as you would love him, I doubt I would have any disagreements with them at all. Unfortunately, that is not how modern Christianity tends to operate, so on many issues I disagree with them completely.

Sex before marriage is just one example. I don't see anything wrong with it between two consenting adults, yet it's a "sin".

I also am just fine with gay people getting married to people of the same sex, and don't see how anyone or anything is harmed by allowing them to do so.

Heck, if you want a flippant example directly from the 10 commandments, what exactly is wrong with coveting a neighbor's goods? I can't want a Porsche if my neighbor just bought a new 911? TAKING it would be wrong, but DESIRING it is what drives capitalism, after all...

I also don't like the tendencies towards authoritarian dogmatic stances that religious groups get, especially if they have political power. I consider Copernicus, Galileo, Kepler and The Spanish Inquisition (who expects it?) to be cautionary examples of what potentially happens if religious groups are allowed temporal power. I could go on listing points of difference, but I don't think it's necessary.

Ultimately, as you know, there's lots of social items or things people do that I have seen you object to as perverted or "wrong" that I simply don't have a problem with, as long as the people involved with it are both or all consenting adults and no one is getting really hurt. Doesn't mean *I* have any interest in partaking, necessarily, obviously. I simply think that everyone has their own path to walk, and what is right for them is not necessarily what is right for anyone else, and neither I nor any organization have any right to try and force them off their chosen life path, so long as they aren't harming anyone thereby. Christianity, as a dogmatic institution, DOES try to so dictate, and that is why I cannot accept it as a dominant institution. (for one example, just see the Chick Tract people)

I completely respect your choice of how to live your life, in accordance with your beliefs and principles. I would never try and gainsay your choices, or tell you in any way that what you are doing is wrong, even though it's not in any way the path for me. So, as I said to begin with, I can respect your faith and your choices, without having any desire to live my life the same way, or under the same set of tenets. Until Dogmatic Christianity returns the favor of not trying to tell me that I am "wrong" for being Pagan and living my life by a different set of principles, I will be at odds with it, even as I respect the rights of the individual members to live their lives as they wish, just not any right to try and impose their choices on me.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Drem » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:00 am

Arlos wrote:If the entire Christian dogma was based around the one rule Christ declared to be the most important, to love oen another as you would love him, I doubt I would have any disagreements with them at alls
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:22 pm

jesus was a taoist
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby araby » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:41 pm

Narrock wrote:Why wouldn't you want to live under Christian tenets? They are pretty much just logic and common sense. Like the Ten Commandments, for example.

They are logical, and make a lot of common sense, but the rest of the Bible and religion of Christianity makes very little sense to a lot of people. Right where the old and new testaments split, for example. Lots of discrepancies and you can't just renig and change the rules halfway through the game. Well, men think they can, see how they did. In the Bible. Ultimately though, you are correct, and I've always said that even without Psalms and Proverbs, man would come up with a code of ethics. Wait, they already did. See, the Bible. Jesus was a man. So were Confucius, Buddah, Lao Tzu, Sun Tzu, and many more wise men looking for answers.
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Drem » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:28 pm

When people think they've got life figured out because they're part of a religion, I don't think they understand religion
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby vonkaar » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:04 am

roflz...

mindia: Peoplez need to respect me.
Gidan: mutual respect, dude
mindia: they have to start
:ugh:

I honestly believe that Mindia is the least Christ-like person on this board. Nobody else is NEARLY so abrasive, pushy and holier-than-thou. To top it all off, he's constantly coming back and fucking up in exact ways that he preached against.

And, one more lolz at Arlos picking "premarital sex" as a rule he's not cool with. :rofl:

(see sig)
Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby Gypsiyee » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:48 am

oh, I just realized why that quote in your sig is so hilarious.

haw, i'm slow.
"I think you may be confusing government running amok with government doing stuff you don't like. See, you're in the minority now. It's supposed to taste like a shit taco." - Jon Stewart
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby brinstar » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:41 pm

i nominate myself as the most christ-like member of this board
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Drem » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:28 pm

no
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:29 pm

too late
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Tikker » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:50 pm

You all need to bask in the glow of the FSM

he knows all
he sees all

he mostly doesn't give a fuck, but he still knows all and sees all
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Arlos » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:48 pm

Have YOU been touched by His Noodly Appendage, Tikker?

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby 10sun » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:47 am

You've got some Meatball sauce on your lips.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Return to Holy ... Discussion