Mormons visit

General location for all religious discussion. Loosely moderated for now, we will see how things go.

Moderators: Ganzo, Dictators in Training

Mormons visit

Postby Menelvir » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:06 pm

I had two Mormon girls drop by today, just knocked right on the door.

They wanted to know how faith in Jesus Christ helped in my life, and if I knew that God loved me.

I gave them some water (it's very hot here in Tejas), but I feel somewhat bad, because I did more talking than they did - so they didn't really have the opportunity to pitch LDS to me in a way that their elders might have wished.

When they asked me what I felt my purpose in life was, I told them I believed strongly in the rational power of the human mind, and in the necessity of separating rationally-held, stringently questioned beliefs from dogmatic, unquestioned ones -- I tried to paraphrase the famous quote from Galileo (?) which was something on the order of 'I cannot believe that a God who gave me the tool of rational thought would have intended that I forego its use'.

I launched into a bit about history and what I knew of the nature of religious violence, sectarianism, and the suffering incurred as a result of religious divisiveness and exclusionary practices.

In the end, I simply stated that I thought my purpose was to provide information and explication of facts as best I could.

I probably could have said that I thought I was nothing more than a mere vehicle for my DNA, but that probably would have come across poorly.

I asked them more questions than they asked me. I asked them what range of religious beliefs of others they had encountered, and their experiences (predictably) ran the gamut -- from atheists to devoutly religious. Some atheists were very kind to them, some (proclaimed) religious persons were less so, and of course the range of everything in between. They hadn't met anyone (religious or non-religious) who was overly militant or aggressive with them. I asked them if they rode bikes during their mission - they don't, they had a car - apparently only the guys ride the bikes (sexist, much?). I asked them what they were studying in school and if they liked where they lived.

I told them I thought the idea of their mission was a beneficial one, as it would bring them into contact with people of many different mindsets, opinions, and beliefs on which they might be able to later draw, and the experiences they built now would later be those on which they could fondly reflect. I wished them luck and safe journey home.
"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." - The Dalai Lama
Menelvir
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Re: Mormons visit

Postby Ganzo » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:18 pm

"God created Mormons so that the Christians would know how the Jews felt" - old Jewish joke
גם זה יעבור

Narrock wrote:Yup, I ... was just trolling.

Narrock wrote:I wikipedia'd everything first.
Ganzo
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Menelvir » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:30 pm

Ganzo wrote:"God created Mormons so that the Christians would know how the Jews felt" - old Jewish joke

Hehe

Well, it can't be substantially older than 1829, right? Because there weren't any Mormons yet...

I'd love to hear a really old Jewish joke.... say, ca. Moses lifetime. :)
"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." - The Dalai Lama
Menelvir
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Ganzo » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:02 pm

Not very old one, but:

"Two beggars sitting by the gates to Vatican, one is wearing a full Jewish religious garb, the other one has a big wooden cross on his chest. As people are passing by going into the Vatican, they all look at the Jewish beggar, and then walk over to the Christian beggar and give him extra money. Finally a passing by priest takes pity on the Jewish beggar and says, you know if you would just go change into regular clothes you would start receiving charity as well. After the priest walks on, the Jewish beggar turns to the Christian one and says: Moishe, this gentile is going to teach us about business?"
גם זה יעבור

Narrock wrote:Yup, I ... was just trolling.

Narrock wrote:I wikipedia'd everything first.
Ganzo
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Return to Holy ... Discussion