Beth Yeshua

General location for all religious discussion. Loosely moderated for now, we will see how things go.

Moderators: Ganzo, Dictators in Training

Re: Beth Yeshua

Postby Narrock » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:01 pm

I don't see how a discussion about God is breaking a commandment. Writing or uttering His name is not taking His name in vain, but if you do think that, then i can respect that, and we can agree to disagree

I'm also not breaking the First Commandment because Jesus fulfilled the prophecies of the Messiah. I'm not going to list them all, but instead, post this link which explains them. And since this is the basis of my faith, I will not waste my time arguing about what anybody says about Jesus NOT fulfilling Messianic prophecy.You have your beliefs about it, and I have mine.

http://christianity.about.com/od/biblef ... -Jesus.htm

And about Mohammad... if you can't accept my stance on him, I have no problem refereeing to him as the philosopher Mohammad.
“The more I study science the more I believe in God.” -- Albert Einstein
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Ganzo » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:30 pm

Ganzo wrote:I'm also not breaking the First Commandment because Jesus fulfilled the prophecies of the Messiah
Messiah does not = G"d which is what praying to a Trinity is claiming, also who is this Holly Spirit fella and where did he come from?

As far as taking a name in vain, it means to use it for anything other than direct communication - speaking to G"d in your prayers. Perhaps that is not how Christianity sees it but that is how our Law views it. There is also an issue with pronouncing it incorrectly, which is seen as an insult and since Hewbrew uses only consonants in writing and vowels are depicted as dots "nekudot" under the corresponding consonants when learning to read and write but not in the main texts, in the Torah the name of G"d is being written with 4 letters but the pronunciation was restricted knowledge for "cohanim" (priests) and used only once a year by "Cohein Gadol" (The High Priest) in the Yom Kippur service.

Look at it from example of your name Narrock. In Hebrew it would be written as Nrrck and without knowing it someone could read it as Norrack or Nurrick or any other combination. Christians have been butchering G"d's name for a long time now, but we simply choose to not use it and refer to it as HaShem (The Name) in order to show respect. Once the Messiah comes and reestablishes the Temple and appoints new "Cohein Gadol", the name will be revealed again and used again.
גם זה יעבור

Narrock wrote:Yup, I ... was just trolling.

Narrock wrote:I wikipedia'd everything first.
Ganzo
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Narrock » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:30 pm

Ok fair enough my friend. We do see it differently as Christians and Jews, but thank you for your explanation.

Oh and this...

. Holy Spirit, or Holy Ghost, is a term found in English translations of the Bible, but understood differently among the Abrahamic religions.[1][2]

While the general concept of a spirit that permeates the cosmos is a general feature of most religions (e.g., Brahman in Hinduism and Tao in Taoism and Great Spirit among indigenous peoples of the Americas), the term Holy Spirit specifically refers to the beliefs held in the Abrahamic religions.[3][4]

For the majority of Christians, the belief in the Holy Trinity implies the existence of three distinct holy persons being one eternal Triune God. Although the New Testament does not have a formal doctrine of the Trinity and contains no discussion of the Trinity as such, it speaks of God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit.[Mt. 28:19] In the New Testament the doctrine never becomes a "tritheism"; it does not have three Gods or even two. The Shema of the Old Testament[Deut. 6:4] belongs to the New Testament also: "The LORD our God is one".[Mk. 12:29][5] Christian denominations that do not share this doctrine and designation are referred to as Nontrinitarians.[6][7]
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Ganzo » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:46 pm

That still does not explain who the Holly Spirit is or why Messiah is God.
גם זה יעבור

Ganzo
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Nusk » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:11 am

this is fun to read.

while i dont have a problem with some of the sayings attributed to Jesus i always had a problem with him as a deity since how does G-D die?

other issues arise from how he died. Ganzo can correct me here but my understanding of the passover sacrifice in temple times was it had to be a lamb of the first year and if a single drop of blood fell on the ground instead of the altar the sacrifice was invalid. how does that gel with jesus being sacrificed in honor of a roman deity out in a field somewhere?
Nusk
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby Ganzo » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:03 am

Nusk wrote:this is fun to read.

while i dont have a problem with some of the sayings attributed to Jesus i always had a problem with him as a deity since how does G-D die?

other issues arise from how he died. Ganzo can correct me here but my understanding of the passover sacrifice in temple times was it had to be a lamb of the first year and if a single drop of blood fell on the ground instead of the altar the sacrifice was invalid. how does that gel with jesus being sacrificed in honor of a roman deity out in a field somewhere?

You are correct with the rites of sacrifice, however, we are not required/allowed to offer human sacrifice as was made into Law in Abraham and Itzchak story Genesis 22. This has always been an issue for us when the story of Jesus being a sacrificial lamb is offered
גם זה יעבור

Ganzo
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Tikker » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:11 pm

Last edited by Tikker on Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Narrock » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:10 pm

Tikker wrote:well that and supposedly he died in 3ish hours on the cross

the romans had that shit down to a science

cruxifiction took days

:(
Narrock
NT Patron