Back to the exp Grind!

Everyone's Favorite H8 Playground. For EQ, WOW, EQ2, and any other game you want to gripe about
(UNMODERATED - within reason)

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Re: Back to the exp Grind!

Postby Naethyn » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:09 am

My scope before EQ was diablo 2 and starcraft. Lobbies with people playing a linear story, or map together. Then it was over, until the next map.

EQ did something very different. It was the game that brought a living breathing virtual world to the masses. It was far ahead of it's time. I do not think wow was ahead of it's time. In my opinion it is only a perfected version of eq.

It may be true that wow has everything eq has. But it is also true that without eq wow would not exist as it is.
Maeya wrote:And then your head just aches from having your hair pulled so tight for so long...
Naethyn
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Zanchief » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:59 am

Naethyn wrote:It may be true that wow has everything eq has. But it is also true that without eq wow would not exist as it is.

I agree
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Drem » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:21 pm

I can appreciate your opinion but I don't really care about it when it comes to this. We can talk film all day and I'll listen to you with open ears but you can never convince me that WoW is worth another second of my time. It's not a better game. It's a cookie cutter MMO like every other MMO (EQ included, since it's just a visual DIKU) and I decided I'll just stick with the one instead of constantly migrating to different games hoping that they'll compare to the nostalgia EQ has given me. It's like comparing Breath of Fire to Lufia to Dragon Warrior to Final Fantasy.... same games different settings. STFU

I think another reason EQ is so great to me is that now it's like two games in one. There's a big seperation between your chars that have 20k hp, 4k ac, and your chars that you only play in older zones that have 1500hp at lvl 50 and using ghetto equipment.... I can play classic, nostalgic EQ (10sun and I just dropped velketor yesterday for some twinks and I cleared PoG by myself to twink my monk) if I want to or I can hop over to my tank and go raid Deepscar Den or something. That's a luxury WoW could never afford me, ever, because it has no nostalgia for me and it never can or will

It's personal preference man, get over it~
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Zanchief » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:20 pm

Drem wrote:It's personal preference man, get over it~

It's Rants and Flames. People are supposed to fight without any cause~
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Drem » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:35 pm

:mystery:
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Zanchief » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:16 am

:borgsmile:
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Tikker » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:51 pm

Naethyn wrote:My scope before EQ was diablo 2 and starcraft.

My brothers and I came from UO to EQ

same style of games in a lot of ways, but EQ basically fixed all our complaints about UO

(UO still does some things better than any other game, housing and tradeskills)
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Diekan » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:31 pm

My only complaint with EQ II is in fact with the tradeskilling. I started calling the game EverCraft instead of EverQuest. I hate being THAT dep. on crafting.

The economy on the servers I have been on are basically nothing more than markets for rares and harvests. I don't even bother trying to sell drops (unless they're fabled master spells, etc) because no one buys them. Everyone just crafts items that are better anyway. WHICH is the basis of my gripe. Here's where I see a problem. I spend (just for an example) X number of days working on an HQ - kill the end zone boss (think Deathfist Citadel and Emp Fyst) - get an item. All that work for something that's WORSE than what I can craft within 2 minutes of being near a broker and a forge. It's fucking retarded.

Yes, I realize the *why* and I've got no problem with MC'ed items being better or at least as good as your typical run-get-this, or go-kill-10-of-these quests... fine... I'm cool with that. But no way in hell should MC'ed be better than ANY HQ reward or boss / named drop of equal level. Sony fucked this up. If it weren't for the AA exp - I don't think anyone would even bother doing the quests... what other reason would there be?

If I gotta spend more than 25% of my time crafting shit - that's too much.

Anyway - MC should be good enough to get you through levels - but not as good as they currently are.

IMO anyway.

Other than that - the game fucking owns WoW in so many ways... but again it's all a matter of opinion.

I'm sure some crafting-addicted-player will come here and raise hell about how wrong I am and why MC should be better than avatar drops, but oh well. It is what it is.
Diekan
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Diekan » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:35 pm

And how quickly some of you forget. How many WoW devs were EQ players? How much content was actually stolen from EQ and not the other way around?

Am I the only one that's noticed the music from Thousands Needles is the same music from Plane of Knowledge? And I do believe PoK was around long before World of Shitcraft was released.
Diekan
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Tikker » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:50 pm

Diekan wrote:And how quickly some of you forget. How many WoW devs were EQ players? How much content was actually stolen from EQ and not the other way around?

Am I the only one that's noticed the music from Thousands Needles is the same music from Plane of Knowledge? And I do believe PoK was around long before World of Shitcraft was released.

WoW was in early beta, or maybe late late alpha during Luclin
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Diekan » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:53 pm

Well then I stand corrected - but someone, some where *borrowed* that music...
Diekan
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Martrae » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:11 pm

Diekan wrote:My only complaint with EQ II is in fact with the tradeskilling. I started calling the game EverCraft instead of EverQuest. I hate being THAT dep. on crafting.

The economy on the servers I have been on are basically nothing more than markets for rares and harvests. I don't even bother trying to sell drops (unless they're fabled master spells, etc) because no one buys them. Everyone just crafts items that are better anyway. WHICH is the basis of my gripe. Here's where I see a problem. I spend (just for an example) X number of days working on an HQ - kill the end zone boss (think Deathfist Citadel and Emp Fyst) - get an item. All that work for something that's WORSE than what I can craft within 2 minutes of being near a broker and a forge. It's fucking retarded.

Yes, I realize the *why* and I've got no problem with MC'ed items being better or at least as good as your typical run-get-this, or go-kill-10-of-these quests... fine... I'm cool with that. But no way in hell should MC'ed be better than ANY HQ reward or boss / named drop of equal level. Sony fucked this up. If it weren't for the AA exp - I don't think anyone would even bother doing the quests... what other reason would there be?

Anyway - MC should be good enough to get you through levels - but not as good as they currently are.

IMO anyway.

Other than that - the game fucking owns WoW in so many ways... but again it's all a matter of opinion.

I'm sure some crafting-addicted-player will come here and raise hell about how wrong I am and why MC should be better than avatar drops, but oh well. It is what it is.

Crafting is a tier down from raid gear (Fabled). It's about par with Legendary and better than Treasured.
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby 10sun » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:28 pm

Tikker wrote:
Diekan wrote:And how quickly some of you forget. How many WoW devs were EQ players? How much content was actually stolen from EQ and not the other way around?

No. WoW beta didn't occur until after GoD release which was after Lost Dungeons of Norrath which in turn was after Planes of Power.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Diekan » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:43 pm

Martrae wrote:
Diekan wrote:My only complaint with EQ II is in fact with the tradeskilling. I started calling the game EverCraft instead of EverQuest. I hate being THAT dep. on crafting.

IMO anyway.

Crafting is a tier down from raid gear (Fabled). It's about par with Legendary and better than Treasured.

That's my point. It should NOT be on par with Legendary. It should only be better than some Treasured and or about even with other.
Diekan
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby brinstar » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:44 pm

some people aren't happy without something to bemoan

kinda like diekan's momma bemoanin' last night OHHH!!!!!!
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Diekan » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:45 pm

The game is fine over all. My only *issue* is with the crafting - it needs nerfed.
Diekan
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Tikker » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:32 pm

10sun wrote:
Tikker wrote:

No. WoW beta didn't occur until after GoD release which was after Lost Dungeons of Norrath which in turn was after Planes of Power.

nope

going back to the LoS forums and looking at retirement posts, you can see when various stages of the game occurred
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby 10sun » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:57 am

WoW was still in an Alpha build stage at GenCon SoCal 2003 (early December).
Everquest's Planes of Power was released in the fourth quarter of 2002.

There may have been alphas of WoW around at the time of EQ's PoP release, but nothing more than in-house testing at the time.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Martrae » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:14 am

Diekan wrote:
Martrae wrote:

IMO anyway.

That's my point. It should NOT be on par with Legendary. It should only be better than some Treasured and or about even with other.

But then it's worthless because no one would ever buy it.
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Diekan » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:18 am

I disagree.

I think people would be willing to buy both. Depending on the person. A lot more so than being forced essentially to buy the MC because it's so retardedly much better than everything else.
Diekan
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Martrae » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:57 am

Actually, no...the boost to crafted gear is new. Before it WAS at treasured level and none of it ever sold. When you can get better by doing a couple quests or killing a mob or two there's no point in spending your hard earned coin on something crafted.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tikker » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:26 am

crafted stuff should be on par with the 2nd or 3rd best of slot items

UO had a very good economy because of exactly that reason
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Zanchief » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:30 am

As long as it's difficult to level up your trades. That is one thing I hated about Wow, the tradeskills where so easy to bring up. In EQ it was insane to get smithing to max lvl. There were only a handful of people who could actually max their tradeskills and almost all of them had no lives.

I don't know how EQII works, but as long as tradeskilling is difficult I think the rewards should be good.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Naethyn » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:48 am

Woot I had no life! =p
Maeya wrote:And then your head just aches from having your hair pulled so tight for so long...
Naethyn
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Tikker » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:19 pm

Zanchief wrote: In EQ it was insane to get smithing to max lvl.

that was pre-luclin

luclin added a ton of recipes that were easy to lvl on, and in fact, every raider had to get their smithing to 175+ to make ssra bane weapons. tons ended up just continuing with tradeskills

then PoP came out and tradeskills became trivial
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Rants and Flames