Back to the exp Grind!

Everyone's Favorite H8 Playground. For EQ, WOW, EQ2, and any other game you want to gripe about
(UNMODERATED - within reason)

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Re: Back to the exp Grind!

Postby Martrae » Fri May 30, 2008 10:47 am

Zanchief wrote:
What is it most comparable to?

Graphics like Oblivion, combat a cross between standard MMO and an action-RPG on a console.
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Zanchief » Fri May 30, 2008 10:53 am

What's the magic system like? I've read quite a few Howard stories and magic was a little sparse.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Martrae » Fri May 30, 2008 11:00 am

There's 3 mage classes. Demonologist, necromancer and Herald of Xotli, which is a mage/soldier hybrid. Xotli is a Demon-god, so it's all based on the dark arts.
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Zanchief » Fri May 30, 2008 11:05 am

But it's all pretty standard like nuke, buff, heal type spells.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Martrae » Fri May 30, 2008 11:07 am

Fighters get combos, which remind me of DAOC combat. That's the only class I've tried so far so I really don't know what the other classes get.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tikker » Fri May 30, 2008 11:47 am

Zanchief wrote:
I'm not sure you where in LoS long enough to talk shit about anyone’s skills. .

was in LoS longer than most, but that's not really the point
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Zanchief » Fri May 30, 2008 12:08 pm

Tikker wrote:
Zanchief wrote:

So what was your point?
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Tikker » Fri May 30, 2008 3:11 pm

Zanchief wrote:
Tikker wrote:
Zanchief wrote:

So what was your point?

that the only thing that made EQ hard was lack of paying attention, and being able to eliminate repeat mistakes

so, if you found it hard (you wouldn't have called it hard otherwise) it's because you lacked those qualities
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Drem » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:45 am

Zanchief wrote:These became game mechanics the developers actually used with regularity to make the challenges more difficult because the engine was so poorly designed it left them zero flexibility for proper design

So what era of EQ are you comparing WoW to? Kunark or Velious? I still play EQ regularly and the raid encounters are so complicated and intricately scripted now that pickup raids can't even win encounters from 5 expansions ago (like Daosheen or OMM)

EQ isn't good because I liked it when I was young.... EQ is just as good as it ever was if not better now. If you come play expecting it to be what it was 10 years ago tho, you will be disappointed. The game was challenging because of the human element which is more or less removed as most game mechanics are simplified now.

Love it when you guys that don't even play come and make stupid posts like this tho. It takes 3 or 4 hours to lvl 40? You actually have to play WoW? lol... I've been working lvls 70-80 for over a month now and have 600 AA and i'm still nowhere near where I need to be to raid with my guild. So maybe you should guys should stop ranting about a game you haven't even been a part of for five years :lope:
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Drem » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:48 am

posts like that make me feel like i'm listening to jello biafra's dated political commentaries
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Evermore » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:14 am

i have but 1 question. If this game is SO great why did everyone leave and why didnt it hold the #1 spot?
For you
Evermore
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Reynaldo » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:16 am

Naethyn wrote:EQ is the greatest game ever made. Stop trying to kid yourselves.

I thought Shards of Dalaya was!!!!

EQ is still > most stuff out there. Although I find myself kind of against the dumbing down of it to make it more WoW'ish with everything starting to be spelled out for you in task windows.

Next expansion I expect to get a mini-map that has every single mob and location you need to be at neatly laid out.
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Drem » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:14 pm

Evermore wrote:i have but 1 question. If this game is SO great why did everyone leave and why didnt it hold the #1 spot?

I think a more appropriate question would be why did everyone you know leave? All of my friends still play and my guild's been here since 2001.... dunno wtf you're talking about. LoS wasn't my world and was never really one of my concerns. Mostly because I never wanted to play this game that much back then and when I did decide to raid I decided American guilds weren't for me because eurasian people raid when it's morning for me and they play the game better and talk less and don't have huge egos. Haven't had a single horrible raid experience like Globin going tourettes and camping in the middle of the raid and throwing the whole fuckin thing off. We might have two or three /gu messages during the whole raid and take something like solteris 234567 in about three hours. So now I get to put up with the "your whole guild is cheaters!!!!!" when 70% of silent resurgence uses mimi57 too...

The game's deeper than it ever was and has more shit to do than you have time to do it in.... and at the end of the day I don't end up like you guys who play every new game for one month, write it off, then start reminiscing about your old EQ experiences in some nostalgia thread

I like to get things done if I'm going to play a video game and switching games every day doesn't accomplish much. Tho if I start jonesing for pretty graphics I do play Gothic 3 because it's the sexiest RPG ever made
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Drem » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:15 pm

Reynaldo wrote:
Naethyn wrote:Next expansion I expect to get a mini-map that has every single mob and location you need to be at neatly laid out.

MacroQuest does this already... and probably 70% of EQ users use MQ/mimi57, so...
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tikker » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:42 pm

Evermore wrote:i have but 1 question. If this game is SO great why did everyone leave and why didnt it hold the #1 spot?

people always want the shiny new game

I played both at end game, and both were pretty entertaining for raiding. I think the EQ community was just better, mostly because the mechanics forced you to group, to rub each other the wrong way, and to compete.
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Naethyn » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:04 pm

Drem wrote:
Reynaldo wrote:
Naethyn wrote:Next expansion I expect to get a mini-map that has every single mob and location you need to be at neatly laid out.

MacroQuest does this already... and probably 70% of EQ users use MQ/mimi57, so...

Lies! I never said such things.
Maeya wrote:And then your head just aches from having your hair pulled so tight for so long...
Naethyn
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Drem » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:56 pm

hah, i wonder how that happened
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Zanchief » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:32 pm

Drem wrote:
Zanchief wrote:These became game mechanics the developers actually used with regularity to make the challenges more difficult because the engine was so poorly designed it left them zero flexibility for proper design

So what era of EQ are you comparing WoW to? Kunark or Velious? I still play EQ regularly and the raid encounters are so complicated and intricately scripted now that pickup raids can't even win encounters from 5 expansions ago (like Daosheen or OMM)

EQ isn't good because I liked it when I was young.... EQ is just as good as it ever was if not better now. If you come play expecting it to be what it was 10 years ago tho, you will be disappointed. The game was challenging because of the human element which is more or less removed as most game mechanics are simplified now.

Love it when you guys that don't even play come and make stupid posts like this tho. It takes 3 or 4 hours to lvl 40? You actually have to play WoW? lol... I've been working lvls 70-80 for over a month now and have 600 AA and i'm still nowhere near where I need to be to raid with my guild. So maybe you should guys should stop ranting about a game you haven't even been a part of for five years :lope:

HA your game got better when the devs started playing WoW beta and realized how fucked they were with their stale game. They copied the entire design from blizzard and passed it off as their own. It is easier to lvl in EQ now. You can PL so easily. I've done it. I was embarrassed for how easy it was it made me want to never play again.

EQ is a dated game.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Zanchief » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:34 pm

Drem wrote:I think a more appropriate question would be why did everyone you know leave? All of my friends still play and my guild's been here since 2001.

It's pretty hard to ignore the subscription numbers, Drem. People left because the game didn't offer them anything anymore. There's much better games on the market.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Arlos » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:43 pm

Why did I leave?

1) Because the expansion active when I left, GoD sucked donkey balls
2) Because SOE had systematically gutted and destroyed the Monk class into utter uselessness. Where monks were once needed for pulling, by that point other classes (especially bard) had far better pull tools, and then could offer other raid benefits as well. Aside from pulling, monks did sub-par DPS and nothing else. Guilds frequently had 0 monks, and were more successful than when they used monks for anything.
3) Because I went 2 months without internet and lost the habit of playing daily.
4) Because 95% of my friends in-game had already quit or left.
5) Because I got into the WOW Alpha, and even in an alpha state, I had more fun playing WOW than I did EQ. This one was rather incidental though, #1-4 had already convinced me to quit anyway, having a better and more fun game to jump to was just the icing on the cake.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Diekan » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:34 pm

Just show some <3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKDkvy9s ... re=related

Remember those days?

I'm loving EQ 2 right now... no it's not the same as running from a moss snake back in 1999, but it sure as hell beats the hell out of WoW in pretty much all aspects of gaming that are important to me.
Diekan
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Diekan » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:47 pm

Diekan
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Drem » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:39 am

Zanchief wrote:
Drem wrote:I think a more appropriate question would be why did everyone you know leave? All of my friends still play and my guild's been here since 2001.

It's pretty hard to ignore the subscription numbers, Drem. People left because the game didn't offer them anything anymore. There's much better games on the market.

Haha games like WoW that are full of so much faggotry that South Park dedicated an episode to ridiculing it? yeah, awesome :lope:

I'm sorry you actually think something like subscription numbers makes a difference. Unless there was one server left with 150 people I could never care about something like that. Obviously you're very passionate about your love affair with WoW and I can understand that but you can't ever convince me to play that piece of shit game. I hate almost everything about warcraft as is so a whole MMO dedicated to that franchise is like throwing a big video shit into a digital fan.

OMG I don't like the same game as you. Tough titty
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Arlos » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:02 am

If you really want a movie from the old days: http://youtube.com/watch?v=-SQvDP5xh5c

Check out the 1:04-1:05 mark...

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Zanchief » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:28 am

Drem wrote:OMG I don't like the same game as you. Tough titty

Actually I hate both games, but I'm not silly enough to believe EQ is actually better than WoW, when the devs actually stole almost all their current content from blizzard.

Your game would still be the lame treadmill it was back in 2000 if WoW would have never been released.

It's cute that you still like EQ enough to have e-fights about it.

Also, the only reason South Park did an episode about WoW is because it's so popular that it has become culturally relevant, something EQ never was during it's time. Of course all the complaints they made about WoW could be applied ten fold to EQ.

Have you even played WoW Drem? You sound like someone who is sadly completely misinformed and happy to be ignorant as long as you side with your game.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

PreviousNext

Return to Rants and Flames