Back to the exp Grind!

Everyone's Favorite H8 Playground. For EQ, WOW, EQ2, and any other game you want to gripe about
(UNMODERATED - within reason)

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Re: Back to the exp Grind!

Postby Naethyn » Wed May 07, 2008 1:18 pm

I only do guild groups. Pick up sucks.
Maeya wrote:And then your head just aches from having your hair pulled so tight for so long...
Naethyn
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby brinstar » Wed May 07, 2008 4:21 pm

Arlos wrote:*snip*

So, yeah, certainly not until FOH/AL/LOS had done it.

*snip*

-Arlos

chicken vs. egg imho. a lot of teams/guilds couldn't do that stuff before FOH/AL/LOS, since you guys had it figured out by the time they were geared-up enough to give it a shot. i do agree with you about the karnor's problem, and the "kunark highway" that produced a bunch of clueless noobs with zero dungeon experience on their toons.
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Arlos » Wed May 07, 2008 5:37 pm

Yeah, on Nameless our lead position let us gear up faster than anyone else, which let us stay ahead. But it wasn't just guilds here, though. There were guilds on many other servers that were lead on their server, and thus just as much chance to gear up (or more) as LOS had, and yet they still wouldn't try hard on the new stuff until someone else had cracked it, and strats started getting out.

Sorry, I'm not trying to blow LOS's horn or anything here, but our willingness to die insane amounts of times learning new stuff, and our stubbornness to keep at it for long stretches was probably our biggest asset. I see guilds now in WOW, and saw them then in EQ, where if they wiped 3-4 times, people would be having shouting matches at each other, and they'd pack it in for the night.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Harrison » Wed May 07, 2008 5:45 pm

I blame WoW for people leaving after a single wipe.

Other games had those people for sure as well but, the fucking faggoty ease in which WoW made everything seem, the new crop of MMO players are pussified bitches now.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Tikker » Wed May 07, 2008 7:30 pm

Arlos wrote: I see guilds now in WOW, and saw them then in EQ, where if they wiped 3-4 times, people would be having shouting matches at each other, and they'd pack it in for the night.

-Arlos

to be fair, there was lots of shouting matches, name calling and other shenanigans at our raids ;)

i think the biggest difference is that when someone got called out, they would attempt to show the other person up by out performing them next time, rather than whining like a bitch (altho there was a fair bit of that too)
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Arlos » Wed May 07, 2008 8:07 pm

Well, we had shouting matches at times, but 99% of the time we'd keep going. You know how rare it was for any of the leaders to call a raid night early with stuff still up. It just didn't happen. Usually the whiners got shouted down, told to STFU or get out, there were plenty who wanted their spot if they didn't, and we kept going.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Gaazy » Wed May 07, 2008 8:22 pm

the last time i played wow (hmm its been a while, a damn long while, so i dont even remember when), i tried explaining the difference to some kids that asked what EQ was, and all i could get was "i heard it sucked, you had to group and stuffz like that" and i just gave up
Gaazy
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Tossica » Thu May 08, 2008 4:41 pm

I think Vanguard was pretty close to what I was looking for but too many things made it fail. There were parts of it I thought were brilliant. WoW, not so much...
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Tikker » Thu May 08, 2008 8:44 pm

there were parts of WoW that were fantastic, but it was just so different from raiding EQ that it didn't have the same appeal
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Zanchief » Fri May 30, 2008 7:49 am

EQ was, and still is, a terrible game. The only appeal it still has for you guys is nostalgia.

You know why EQ was so hard? Because the game was terrible. The design on some of those encounters was just lazy and silly. How many dungeons had difficult encounters simply because of huge bugs that never got fixed? Mobs who would teleport, bad pathing, agro through walls. These became game mechanics the developers actually used with regularity to make the challenges more difficult because the engine was so poorly designed it left them zero flexibility for proper design.

Exp is gained quicker in WoW, which is a positive. Exp was gained so slowly in EQ just to prolong the grind. It's really impossible to compare dungeon crawls in EQ vs WoW since EQ doesn't have any. You have camps of 12 enemies you kill over and over again. In WoW you actually have goals when you play. Even simple dungeon bosses have unique strategies and require planning. Almost no mobs in EQ required the group to change their strats unless it was because of a bug that would wipe your group (you can't fight in this room because it will train the whole zone on you, awesome programming their guys).

Death penalties in WoW are much more logical then EQ. They aren't as bad early in the game but when you're raiding losing money is much more crippling then losing minute amounts of EXP.

The argument about WoW being a kids game is ridiculous, because you could just enter dungeons a few levels above (as they were intended) rather than clearing it out after you're too high. You could do the same in EQ, exping off blue mobs all day without challenging yourself. For that matter, EQ is a joke now anyway. You can lvl up to 40 in about 3 or 4 hours. You actually have to play WoW to lvl up. There are ways of power leveling, but they're no where near as abusive as EQ (because the game stinks).

People think EQ is good for the same reason they think ET is a good movie. They liked it when they were younger and they fail to realize it stinks when they should know better.

Note: I don't play WoW because I have a life.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Harrison » Fri May 30, 2008 8:05 am

Nostalgia has nothing to do with it.

I don't like being spoonfed my content on a fucking silver platter you get when you click "I accept" on the TOS.

WoW is a generic mediocre game.
EQ was one of a kind.
UO was one of a kind.
DAoC was an EQ clone with RvR/PVP in the forefront instead of PVE.
Lineage/Lineage 2 was a terrible point and click grindfest past the first 15 levels or so. Asians love this shit because they're faggots.
etc. etc.

I've played damned near every MMO out there and WoW is barely near the top 5 in terms of fun.
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Zanchief » Fri May 30, 2008 8:08 am

I've played most of them too, Harry.

Debate my points. It's spoonfed because it's well designed. It's comfortable rather than uncomfortable. That isn't an argument against it.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Harrison » Fri May 30, 2008 8:20 am

It's too much cookie-cutter for me.
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Zanchief » Fri May 30, 2008 8:26 am

EQ II and EQ look more like WoW than they do classic EQ. How can it be cookie cutter? It made the MMO mold.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

`

Postby Harrison » Fri May 30, 2008 8:31 am

I don't care about EQ2 or EQ(now).

I'm talking EQ when it was king of the market.
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Zanchief » Fri May 30, 2008 8:49 am

Classic EQ was like riding a really cool bike with a dildo in your ass.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Martrae » Fri May 30, 2008 8:49 am

Tried Conan yet?
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tossica » Fri May 30, 2008 8:52 am

EQ is/was the single greatest game ever made IMO. I can't imagine another game that would get me to clock 100 fucking DAYS worth of time or however long I played that game.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Zanchief » Fri May 30, 2008 8:55 am

Martrae wrote:Tried Conan yet?

No, I'm interested somewhat but I don't really have that much disposable time right now.

Is it worth a look?
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Tikker » Fri May 30, 2008 9:49 am

Zanchief wrote:
You know why EQ was so hard? Because the game was terrible. The design on some of those encounters was just lazy and silly. How many dungeons had difficult encounters simply because of huge bugs that never got fixed?

you don't actually have a clue sir~

the only thing about EQ that was difficult was paying attention and not making the same mistake over and over again

that being said, I don't think you were ever able to accomplish that
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Martrae » Fri May 30, 2008 9:54 am

Zanchief wrote:

No, I'm interested somewhat but I don't really have that much disposable time right now.

Is it worth a look?

Yes :)
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Zanchief » Fri May 30, 2008 9:57 am

Sorry, why exactly are you grading my gaming skills when I never knew you in game?

I'm not sure you where in LoS long enough to talk shit about anyone’s skills. You do your best to remind people you were in there so you can get some lamo e-cred but folks around here know better.

Go play the uber card someplace else.

If it wasn't for pathing bugs, teleporting mobs, inconsistent agro, Z axis agro, the game would have been a ton easier. That's not even speaking of the difficult UI that made just about every part of the game unbearable.

I loved EQ despite it's flaws. You guys seemed to have forgotten them completely.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Zanchief » Fri May 30, 2008 9:59 am

Martrae wrote:
Zanchief wrote:

Is it worth a look?

Yes :)

What is it most comparable to?
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Naethyn » Fri May 30, 2008 10:32 am

EQ is the greatest game ever made. Stop trying to kid yourselves.
Maeya wrote:And then your head just aches from having your hair pulled so tight for so long...
Naethyn
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Trielelvan » Fri May 30, 2008 10:34 am

Tossica wrote:EQ is/was the single greatest game ever made IMO. I can't imagine another game that would get me to clock 100 fucking DAYS worth of time or however long I played that game.

30 mile long fire beetle train ftw~

No other game has ever given us that.

'nuff said.
HyPhY GhEtTo MaMi wrote:GeT ofF mAh OvaRiEz
Trielelvan
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

PreviousNext

Return to Rants and Flames