Fricking bittorrent

Everyone's Favorite H8 Playground. For EQ, WOW, EQ2, and any other game you want to gripe about
(UNMODERATED - within reason)

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Fricking bittorrent

Postby Lyion » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:14 pm

Uploaded - 4.2 Gigs
Downloaded - 1.3 gigs

Get some pipe, Blizzard you cheap ass fuckers. I know Vivendi is dirt poor, but geez..
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Sarthis » Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:37 am

Downloaded - 2.5 gigs
Uploaded - 20.73 mb

:cool6:
-Michael
Sarthis
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Langston » Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:35 am

The download speed is dependent upon other peers. If you throttle back your upload, as Sarthis apparently did, what you wind up doing is hurting everyone - including yourself. The beauty of BitTorrent is that Blizzard isn't paying ANYTHING for download bandwidth except for the original seeding. Once seeded, the torrent server directs new clients to peers.

If you use a tool like BitStorm or BitTornado you can actually view who you are downloading from, who you are uploading to, and how fast each connection is. You will likely be uploading/downloading to/from multiple people at the same time. It's a very elegant design, however, the problem lies in people that close off their uploads (either reducing max transfer rate or cutting the number of allowed upload connections) as well as the govenors on the cable and DSL upload speeds (which are in place to prevent hosting from a consumer account).

If everyone wants to see better download speeds from BitTorrent, they need to turn their settings for uploads UP. I've found that if you're running cable, 40KB/S max throttle and 4-6 max connections is sustainable without affecting me. If you go lower, it forces other clients to use the same UNthrottled peers that YOU are trying to use thereby choking that peer and causing YOUR downloads to be slower. If you had your settings higher, you could be hosting sections of the download to those other clients and the bandwidth of the guy you need the next section from would be openned up.

So, for God's sake, stop throttling.... oh - and NEVER set yourself to SUPERSEED - unless you're running a Torrent server.
Last edited by Langston on Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Langston
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Lyion » Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:10 am

I used Bittornado last time, and I have multiple BT clients.

However, I'm actually following Blizzard's beta instructions and using the their client, despite the fact it's slow as molasses.

Again, I have no clue why they are using BT. Bandwidth is inexpensive, and for retail they should be using their own servers, and not a P2P model. It's also a lot less secure and safe.
Last edited by Lyion on Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tacks » Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:12 am

They said elventy billion times that come retail there will be other options for downloads.
Tacks
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Lyion » Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:16 am

At retail I won't be downloading 2.5 Gigs, either. It's all good, but part of me wonders if using BT is some sort of morbid humor from the WOW devs.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Harrison » Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:07 am

I love BT.

No real complaints from me...

Well, except that I have to do it at night because up-pipe kills my connection and nothing really functions when Im uploading.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Return to Rants and Flames