WoW, sure it wasn't written by Sony? ;)

Everyone's Favorite H8 Playground. For EQ, WOW, EQ2, and any other game you want to gripe about
(UNMODERATED - within reason)

Moderator: Dictators in Training

WoW, sure it wasn't written by Sony? ;)

Postby runamonk » Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:56 am

Quote from Penny Arcade front page. I love this stuff and I especially love how it totally contradicts what all the WoW fanactics say everytime EQ farts. ;-)

In other news, we hereby revoke 2004 Game of the Year status for Blizzard's "World of Warcraft," effective immediately.

If you are familiar at all with the newspost, you know that it has been a spigot of almost unmitigated goodwill towards the title. We've been playing it for months in another form, and even chose to write thirteen comics for the guide. Understand that we don't need to take or even entertain projects if they are not utterly delicious, your readership of the site itself guarantees that. We took it because we loved the game and had faith that any hitches in the experience would be ground down before release. This has not been borne out.

I would not disagree with you if you said that the game was good - indeed, as delivered, I still maintain that in the Massive genre it provides the greatest reward for the least nuisance. It also succeeds in many ways corollary to that, but I've said plenty of things along those lines, and the puff piece phase is over - particularly with the European launch en route. Now is actually a good time to appraise their technology. It is, in a word, wanting.

I'm putting aside issues like class balance or Gamemaster abuse, because honestly those things are only a problem when the fucking server is up. They will no doubt be very interesting topics eventually, but it's actually four and five times a week at this point that I can't even log in to the game. It's not like I'm sitting here trying to connect at odd hours so I can catch them in something, either - this is in prime time, or on a weekend. The mail system works when it is good and ready. The servers themselves appear to have other things on their mind.

Every week, there is some new calamity that necessitates some huge response on their part, servers are coming down, but if you think that the servers coming back up again will represent an improvement in the basic functionality of the game you're mistaken. They took them down most of the day Thursday (and again for "emergency service" on Sunday), and when they came back up it should have been something supernatural but it was actually utterly imperceptible. It should have been like when the Genesis device hit and a lifeless rock became a fucking paradise. That didn't happen. So, if I say, as I'm about to, that their emergency service amounts to parlor tricks, what evidence can they give to the contrary? Because near as I can tell they've been doing "emergency service" since release, only they used to credit people's accounts for it.

If this happened in Galaxies, or Dark Age, or AO, of course it'd be everybody everywhere piling on. But it's Blizzard, and since they made a few good games years ago now they can do whatever the fuck they want to. Great policy, and it totally serves consumers. Good job. Where's Lum The Mad when you need him.

When a young person comes into a noticeable sum of money, it is often the case that strictures are placed on its expenditure. The thinking is that such a person will plow their inheritance in things that are critical to them at the time but do not represent a wise long-term investment, such as Sweet Tarts. A trust fund protects this amount and purifies its purpose. So it can be said for the coveted Game of the Year award - it was given too early, and they have squandered it. It is now withheld. It will be released only when they prove themselves worthy stewards of it.

(CW)TB out.
-
runamonk/Braeleen/Vaelie/Zennish
runamonk
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Tacks » Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:59 am

I read that, I think they must play on Finawin's server or something LOLZ. Other than a few minutes per week our server has been pretty solid.
Tacks
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby runamonk » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:09 am

What I don't understand is why people are so intolerant of these types of things. (In any online game). These things happen, it's not like the techs are sitting there and decide that it would be a great idea to shut off everything for a few hours or the whole day. I giggle my ass off when I read the posts on the whineplay boards about all the kiddies who are going to quit if they don't do this or that. LMAO.

I read some great stuff on the WoW boards the other day about the "GM Abuse", that brought back so many memories of the original EQ GM shit that would come up.
-
runamonk/Braeleen/Vaelie/Zennish
runamonk
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Lyion » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:12 am

In two weeks I've seen some massive lag spikes, two server crashes, and some extended login issues.

WOWS stability leaves much to be desired.

The fanbois will stay happy, though. They love the Blizzard
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tacks » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:16 am

I've seen massive lag spikes during huge pvp battles that's about it. Apparently there are bad issues with some of the other servers and they need to get that shit fixed. I haven't seen any server crashes since the first week and I had 1 login issue about 3 weeks ago.
Tacks
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Tikker » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:48 am

1st 3 weeks Doomhammer was awesome, just rock solid

lately, it's been a giant steaming pile of dogshit
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Harrison » Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:58 pm

Server stability is utter shit. And it isn't just IceDown.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Tacks » Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:16 pm

Finawin Darkfyre wrote:Server stability is utter shit. And it isn't just IceDown.

HAHAHAHAHHAHHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

you guys picked the wrong server
Tacks
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Harrison » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:03 pm

Any server without the immaturity running rampant in your guild is the correct server.
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Drem » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:22 pm

i think it's hilarious too when people whine and cry when the servers go down. JESUS FUCKING CHRIST I CAN'T PLAY EVERQUEST FOR 9 HOURS WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Harrison » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:23 pm

I play no more than 1 hour a day.

When I try to log on and I can't, I am fucking OUTRAGED. This is a daily occurrence.
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Diekan » Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:01 pm

Especially when your PAYING FIFTEEN DOLLARS a month.
Diekan
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Darcler » Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:03 pm

Dont pay :dunno:
Darcler
Saran Wrap Princess
Saran Wrap Princess

Postby Tacks » Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:23 pm

Finawin Darkfyre wrote:I play no more than 1 hour a day.

When I try to log on and I can't, I am fucking OUTRAGED. This is a daily occurrence.

HAHAHHAHAHHAA I R OUTRAGED!!!! UR ANGER IS MY POWER RAWRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Tacks
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Harrison » Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:31 pm

How old are you again?

Oh shit sorry, I thought you were older than me for a moment. Silly me!
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Re: WoW, sure it wasn't written by Sony? ;)

Postby brinstar » Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:17 pm

penny arcade wrote:WAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Re: WoW, sure it wasn't written by Sony? ;)

Postby Harrison » Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:18 pm

brinstar wrote:
penny arcade wrote:owned
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Langston » Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:48 pm

Like Taxx - my experience on my server is very positive. I don't talk about what server that is, though, because I don't want any of you fuckers polluting it.

And Lyion - how are the "fanbois" overlooking this glaring problem of stability? It's because we're on servers without the issues. If I were on one of the problem servers, I would be singing a different tune.
Mindia wrote:I was wrong obviously.
Langston
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Captain Insano » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:51 pm

I have to admit the server's are better IMO than orginal EQ for about the first two years, but they could definitely use improvement. I experience almost constant lag since I picked this game up and have been unable to log on 3 times during primetime.

I consider WoW to be one of the more *casual* mmogs out there, and I am a semi-casual player. I have a bit of a problem not being able to play when I finally find the time. I hope they fix this soon. From what I have seen on other boards people are getting annoyed pretty quick. I will give blizzard this: For a mmog that has only been out for 3 months, I think this game blows all others away in all aspects of play, with maybe EQ2 a bit nicer on the graphics side of the house.
Tossica: No, you're gay because you suck on cocks.

Darcler:
Get rid of the pictures of the goofy looking white guy. That opens two right there.

Mazzletoffarado: That's me fucktard
Vivalicious wrote:Lots of females don't want you to put your penis in their mouths. Some prefer it in their ass.
Captain Insano
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tae-Bo » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:01 pm

i'm on ner'zhul (a problem server)

i'm waiting in a 600 person queue right now

i'll probably be able to play for 30 min then get disconnected and have to wait again

but it's ok i don't care really
Chances are very good that you've never touched Linux a day in your pathetic life.
Tae-Bo
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Harrison » Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:15 am

Yes paying for waiting in line is fucking awesome, and then being kicked because their server "stability" is sub-par to wait in line again is just dandy!!!
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Tacks » Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:34 am

Once again: AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHH I have no problems on my server.

Ralf: it will have been out 2 months, next week.

Blizz just gave everyone another 2 free days playtime.
Tacks
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Lyion » Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:18 am

If you are having no login problems, lag problems, or other stability issues, then kudo's to you. I can only speak from my own experience.

My point is many others have these, and there are those as was quoted in PA that will be Blizzard apologists for some reason, when they'd be screaming for blood in the same situation if it were another company.

The server stability ain't great, and could use improvement.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tacks » Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:21 am

The servers are having problems and it needs fixed. That doesn't change the fact that I laugh everyday knowing I have no problems and Fagawin is crying in a corner.
Tacks
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Lyion » Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:26 am

Er, you'd have to actually logout to have login problems, Taxx.

I picture your day. Wake up, work and pharm NT, go home, login, food while waiting for it to load, play til dusk, sleep. Rinse, repeat.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Next

Return to Rants and Flames