Why.......

Everyone's Favorite H8 Playground. For EQ, WOW, EQ2, and any other game you want to gripe about
(UNMODERATED - within reason)

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Why.......

Postby Haxx » Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:44 am

Why do you still play EQ?

Those of you who have played for the past 3 years and are level 59 need not answer. Seriously, what is it that keeps people playing a game that is almost 5 years old. The friendships are a given.........but the gameplay..is it really that good anymore? What IS it that compells you to play?
-Haxx
Haxx
NT Aviak
NT Aviak

Postby Kramer » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:04 am

a deep and fantastic belief that somehow, somewhere, the game will finally fulfill their empty, pitiful, sexless lives.....

or....

maybe they just like it.... ya know. whatever.
Mindia is seriously the greatest troll that has ever lived.
    Kramer
    NT Traveller
    NT Traveller

Postby Langston » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:08 am

Surprisingly, there are some people that are still relatively new to the game. Being able to pickup a "gold" (or platinum, or whatever the fuck color the box is) version with all of the expansions for $30 (or whatever) makes it a viable and cheap source of entertainment.

However, when looking at the other options out there, namely EQ2 and WoW, I don't know why someone would pickup an old clunker instead of a late model sports car. EQ was good... in it's day. It's no longer that day.
    Mindia wrote:I was wrong obviously.
    Langston
    Nappy Headed Ho
    Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Lyion » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:26 am

Opinions are like assholes.

Anyways, why do you care? Do you own stock in Vivendi or NCSoft?
    What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
    C. S. Lewis
    Lyion
    Admin Abuse Squad
    Admin Abuse Squad

Postby mofish » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:05 pm

I know a girl that just started playing a year ago. She reminds me of me 4 years ago. She's got the EQ-fever. She's currently doing her epic and is totally excited about getting it. EQ was, and is, one of the best games ever created. People still play UO and that is far older than EQ.
    You were right Tikker. We suck.
    mofish
    NT Traveller
    NT Traveller

Postby Haxx » Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:56 am

Anyways, why do you care? Do you own stock in Vivendi or NCSoft?

no Kyo I dont. wtf is this in R&F anyway?
    -Haxx
    Haxx
    NT Aviak
    NT Aviak

Postby Insanityfair » Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:40 am

mofish wrote:I know a girl that just started playing a year ago. She reminds me of me 4 years ago. She's got the EQ-fever. She's currently doing her epic and is totally excited about getting it. EQ was, and is, one of the best games ever created. People still play UO and that is far older than EQ.

Hey! I started playing EQ a little over a year ago! :rofl:
    Insanityfair
    Dictator in Training
    Dictator in Training

Postby Phlegm » Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:38 am

Are you working on your epic and is totally exited ?
    Phlegm
    Nappy Headed Ho
    Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Drem » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:37 pm

no she's like past time she's hardcore

i started this game before kunark came out... totally loved it. quit in 2001 and played a few months here, took half a year off there, never really did much after i deleted drem. i just get all nostalgic think about the fun i had before so i reinstall it and start up again but it really just isn't the same at all anymore. i still like playing twinks because then i can go back to all my old favorite zones to level up even though no one ever plays in them. original EQ is still my favorite era of EQ. the zones were so simple... loved the animations and models and stuff. kind of started to seriously not like playing anymore when SoL came out and those fucking horribly ugly and atrociously animated new character models came out. also sucked when you were able to start dying your armor because you couldn't just look at someone without inspecting and go "holy shit atensen has a golden efreeti BP"

i still think it's kinda fun every now and then, but it's too big now and too many people play. you used to know EVERYONE that played the same class as you and you'd talk to them frequently and share tips and strategies and stuff. just can't do that kind of thing anymore when there's 20 guilds that are all competing for the same goal and there's like thousands and thousands of people on the servers. i remember when the server select screen would tell you how many people were on the server instead of just saying UP... think at max there was like 2000 at once back then. game just had a better since of community. the old-style graphics were and still are more appealing to me because they got more across through contrast of color and design rather than everything just rolling around with the same color palette and millions of polygons.

end my nostalgia rant :)
    Drem
    Nappy Headed Ho
    Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Malluas » Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:13 am

i quit a long time ago.. not cause i didn't like the game it was cause Shock crapped out. After that i didn't wanna go thru guild recruitment processes anymore... plus real life called hehe.

I would stillbe playing today if i didn't quit back then. Its a great game.. granted i HATED luclin.

Its very much like UO ... great game that (if sony doesn't axe it) will be around forever

oh and the guilds my friends were in wouldn't allow me to get into the recruiting process also.. my last raid (with a few from Crimson Tempest) was Rumblecrush.

No one wanted me :(

heh
    Malluas
    NT Veteran
    NT Veteran

Postby Lyion » Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:24 am

Drem wrote:it's too big now and too many people play. There's 20 guilds that are all competing for the same goal and there's like thousands and thousands of people on the servers.

Thats WOW from day 1.

No innocence.
    What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
    C. S. Lewis
    Lyion
    Admin Abuse Squad
    Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Drem » Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:21 am

that's too bad. :\

it was so great when it was just 1500 people on in the evening and there were only two or three "high-end" guilds
    Drem
    Nappy Headed Ho
    Nappy Headed Ho

Postby runamonk » Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:30 pm

Malluas wrote:i quit a long time ago.. not cause i didn't like the game it was cause Shock crapped out. After that i didn't wanna go thru guild recruitment processes anymore... plus real life called hehe.

I would stillbe playing today if i didn't quit back then. Its a great game.. granted i HATED luclin.

Its very much like UO ... great game that (if sony doesn't axe it) will be around forever

oh and the guilds my friends were in wouldn't allow me to get into the recruiting process also.. my last raid (with a few from Crimson Tempest) was Rumblecrush.

No one wanted me :(

heh

Sucked with SoS broke up. :(
    -
    runamonk/Braeleen/Vaelie/Zennish
    runamonk
    NT Deity
    NT Deity

Postby Karynna Suxcle » Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:57 pm

runamonk = Zennish?
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. ~Herm Albright
    Karynna Suxcle
    NT Froglok
    NT Froglok

Postby Drem » Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:32 pm

yeah, or braeleen or vaelie or whatev
    Drem
    Nappy Headed Ho
    Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Gargamellow » Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:17 am

Why do you still play EQ?

I consider my characters as works of art that I am currently wrapped up in. I make them come alive and they develop their own personalities, which includes some good skills and some bad....

I love to log them on and run around just being whoever it is I am online with that day. Each of my characters gives me a distinct feeling when I am playing them. I wouldn't want to give that up.

The Native Americans create very beautiful, very large, very elaborate designs with colored sands and then they just blow them away. My characters will disappear that way someday, but at least I can say that I gave those works of art my all.

I really love the people in EQ, but it is freedom and expression that goes along with being able to be so many different types of fantasy creatures that keeps me logging in.

I will be on EQ1 until they day the servers go down forever. And then I am done with online video games.
    Gargamellow
    Nappy Headed Ho
    Nappy Headed Ho

Return to Rants and Flames