Massive Lag

Everyone's Favorite H8 Playground. For EQ, WOW, EQ2, and any other game you want to gripe about
(UNMODERATED - within reason)

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Massive Lag

Postby Scoota McGee » Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:33 am

For about the last month or so I have had unplayable lag going on. Kinda sucks because just about the time I hit 60.... Instances became unplayable because of lag.

I have tried all the usual stuff:
1. Spy ware
2. Windows Patches
3. Re-install WoW
4. Made sure nothing dippy was going on with firewalls (SP2 or router)
5. I even upped my connection to a dedicated 1 Meg link.
6. Really high end PC... the issue is not local

I even tried messing around with Tx Rx rates on the nic... nothing works.

Has anyone else recently been hit by this? Better yet... does anyone know how to make it go away?
"Liberals believe government should take people's earnings to give to poor people. Conservatives disagree. They think government should confiscate people's earnings and give them to farmers and insolvent banks. The compelling issue to both conservatives and liberals is not whether it is legitimate for government to confiscate one's property to give to another, the debate is over the disposition of the pillage."

-Dr. Walter Williams
Scoota McGee
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Martrae » Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:58 am

Defrag?
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tikker » Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:32 am

I think a lot of it's on Blizzards end

The outtages last night were caused by their internal network shitting the bed
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Tacks » Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:53 am

I'm on the same server as Scoota. Besides about 1 day in the past month I get around 75ms server ping.
Tacks
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Langston » Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:33 am

Scoota - a couple of things to try:

- Defragment your hard drive as Martrae says. There is a lot of disk accessing going on and if the hard drives are thrashing, you're losing performance.
- Upgrade your memory (if necessary). I through another 512MB into my laptop (which was like a slide show in Org) and now it's as smooth as my desktop (just without the pretty graphics that my desktop's vid card supports). Total memory in my laptop is now 736MB and it has a crappy laptop video chipset.
- Try setting your link speed from 100Mbit to 10Mbit. This is a theory being passed around on some boards right now. A personal friend of mine was having extraordinary issues with lag on his system. The hardware was more than adequate to push the game, but he was still experiencing lag over 1000ms. He dropped his connection speed to 10Mbit on his switch and saw a dramatic improvement. Why this helps is beyond me... it makes zero sense - but it's starting to float around as a potential help to cure some lag issues.

All in all, though, there is still definitely a lag issue in Org and other highly populated places (populated meaning PCs as well as NPCs/MOBs). Also, WoW caches textures from the various zones you've visited in that session as well as all of the creature textures that you've seen. Over time, this cache eats up your memory in a major way causing continuously degraded performance as you move around in the game world and play for a period of time. If you habitually tend to move around a lot, from Org to UC to instances, etc. in a single gaming session, consider closing down WoW, waiting for your hard drive to stop thrashing and then relogin. This clears all the cached textures you've picked up in your travels. It will increase your performance in instances if you do it right before you enter. It's a hastle, but it's something I did regularly when playing on my laptop while travelling.
Mindia wrote:I was wrong obviously.
Langston
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Langston » Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:53 am

Ugzugz wrote:- Upgrade your memory (if necessary). I through another 512MB into my laptop (which was like a slide show in Org) and now it's as smooth as my desktop (just without the pretty graphics that my desktop's vid card supports). Total memory in my laptop is now 736MB and it has a crappy laptop video chipset.

I meant 768MB memory total in the laptop... Math is my friend.
Langston
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tikker » Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:30 pm

Set the value in datarate.txt to 9!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Gidan » Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:13 am

kill your SP2 firewall (what a piece of junk) The router is fine as long as its set up well. Software firewalls in general cause more problems then they are worth.

Probably wont solve your current problem but may solve future problems you havn't had yet.
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.
Gidan
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Scoota McGee » Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:47 am

Tried everything. At this point I'm pretty sure Blizzard just hates me.
"Liberals believe government should take people's earnings to give to poor people. Conservatives disagree. They think government should confiscate people's earnings and give them to farmers and insolvent banks. The compelling issue to both conservatives and liberals is not whether it is legitimate for government to confiscate one's property to give to another, the debate is over the disposition of the pillage."

-Dr. Walter Williams
Scoota McGee
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Arlos » Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:05 pm

Scoota: Do you use Cosmos or some other UI mod? If so, try it without it. I know of more than 1 person who've had major frame rate issues in instances due to Cosmos issues. Just try it with the native UI and see if you have the same problems. If not, you have your culprit.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Agrajag » Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:41 pm

I use Cosmos and have no issues. But thats just me...
Agrajag
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Arlos » Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:47 pm

Yeah, cosmos isn't guaranteed to cause problems, but I have seen it do so with some people. As I said, more than one person in the guild had major frame-rate issues, especially in instances, and they went away when they removed cosmos. So, worth trying at least, if he's seeing the same symptoms.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Langston » Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:21 pm

Cosmos is massive bloatware. I just assumed anyone with half a brain wouldn't be using it anyway.
Mindia wrote:I was wrong obviously.
Langston
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Return to Rants and Flames