Is

Need answers? He's got 'em!

Moderator: Tossica

Is

Postby Martrae » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:10 pm

$42k too much for a Bachelor's degree?
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Ginzburgh » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:02 pm

Nah, that's pretty reasonable.

Four years or an accelerated program?

Also, how will the degree be applied in the real world? Is there a return on investment or is it for academic gratification?
Ginzburgh
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Martrae » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:27 pm

4 years and it's for a BS in accounting. Hopefully, that would turn into something worthwhile.
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Lyion » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:31 pm

Check for eligibility for getting ones CPA with a bachelors degree. Some states are now requiring a masters degree to get a CPA, which is where the better money is for accounting.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tossica » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:44 pm

Charter Oak?

:)

That price seems about right. If you can handle it though, I'd look in to nursing. I have a friend that makes just under $100K a year as a nurse. She busts her ass but that's some pretty serious cash.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Martrae » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:09 pm

No, I'm looking at Strayer U....anyone heard of them?

I've got three kids....I've had enough of wiping smelly asses and listening to people complain. ;)

Nursing is a fantastic career if you can handle it, I'm just not sure it's for me.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Gargamellow » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:01 am

fuck nursing
Gargamellow
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Darcler » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:08 am

Yes indeed. Fuck the people who care for you when you fall seriously ill.
(Its what Im going to school for)
Darcler
Saran Wrap Princess
Saran Wrap Princess

Postby Jay » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:02 am

Nursing also has an abundance of hours, great pay, extreme versatility for if you want to further your career in medicine, stellar benefits etc etc. Only drawback how hard it is to get into nursing school?
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tossica » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:45 am

They don't pay someone $50 an hour to wipe asses.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Ginzburgh » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:05 am

Yeah and night hours suck. That's just me though.
Ginzburgh
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Martrae » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:10 am

Tossica wrote:They don't pay someone $50 an hour to wipe asses.

Some areas are paying insane sign-on bonus and they may not offer $50 an hour but I have see $30 offered.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby araby » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:16 am

oh yes they do. and they have to mop floors after crazy patients with diarreah take their shits on it. they put up with a lot more than you think they do.
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tossica » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:46 am

They have nurses aides, LPN's etc to do that stuff.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Darcler » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:53 am

Housekeeping and janitors mop shit and blood at our hospitals. Nurses (depending on the specialty) really only deal with vitals, medicine dole outs, entry look overs and generally doing what the doctors dont want to do.
I'm actually thinking of leaning to surgical tech (the bitch that counts the tools and hands shit over) or ob nurse.
Darcler
Saran Wrap Princess
Saran Wrap Princess

Postby Martrae » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:57 am

LPN's get the shit jobs, too. Go RN....not quite as crappy and much better paying.

Kahar's mom is an LPN, though and she makes over $20 an hour. She's the facility coordinator, however.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby araby » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:23 am

you guys aren't listening to what I'm saying.

Nurses do dirty work. My two sisters-in-law will give you plenty of stories about just how they deal with it. It's not *all* they do..of course. But if you think they don't have to do it from time to time, think again.
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tossica » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:28 am

I'm not saying she doesn't ever do dirty work but she is as close as you can get to an MD. She spends a majority of her time doing what the doctors should be doing. She can even prescribe meds.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Darcler » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:44 am

araby wrote:you guys aren't listening to what I'm saying.

Nurses do dirty work. My two sisters-in-law will give you plenty of stories about just how they deal with it. It's not *all* they do..of course. But if you think they don't have to do it from time to time, think again.

Well hell, even at a store, you gotta clean up puke once in awhile.
Darcler
Saran Wrap Princess
Saran Wrap Princess

Postby Martrae » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:56 am

Tossica wrote:I'm not saying she doesn't ever do dirty work but she is as close as you can get to an MD. She spends a majority of her time doing what the doctors should be doing. She can even prescribe meds.

Only certain nurses can...the ones that are Nurse Practitioners. You generally have to have a Masters for that.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tossica » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:09 am

Martrae wrote:
Tossica wrote:I'm not saying she doesn't ever do dirty work but she is as close as you can get to an MD. She spends a majority of her time doing what the doctors should be doing. She can even prescribe meds.

Only certain nurses can...the ones that are Nurse Practitioners. You generally have to have a Masters for that.

Right. Nurse Practitioners don't wipe asses.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Martrae » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:12 am

This is true. My mom's best friend is one. She makes buck and has the responsibilities of a doctor without the liability.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby leah » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:11 am

ooooh, darc, my best friend is an RN on the OB floor at the hospital in hastings, and she loves it. she works overnights, which kind of sucks, but she gets paid well and the work is really rewarding. ^^
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Gaazy » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:26 am

Mom does hospice nursing now, and before that was an ICU nurse in an open heart surgery recovery unit for 15 years. She could tell you how much dirty work the nurses do. All I ever hear is pretty much a hospital is only as good as its nurses.

She was telling me they had 2 AIDs patients that were getting ready to die she was taking care of this past weekend. Id be too paranoid to take care of them. One slip of a needle and it could be over :(

I really dont know how she does that job to be honest. Since it is strictly a hospice care clinic, its just people dieing all the time. It would get to my head pretty damn fast, takes a special person to do that job I guess
Gaazy
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Evermore » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:14 am

umm yes they do and more. you should see the benefits package our nurses get. its gross
For you
Evermore
NT Deity
NT Deity

Next

Return to Ask Tossica!