Looking for another LCD TV

Need answers? He's got 'em!

Moderator: Tossica

Looking for another LCD TV

Postby Naethyn » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:27 am

I've been shopping around various sites.

I'm looking for a 26-32", 1080i/p (can fudge this one), 800-1000:1 contrast.

I've also noticed that every single LCD that has HDMI only has VGA hook ups and no DVI. Anyone have an idea of why?

If anyone knows of one linkages!

*Edit: Crap wrong forum...
Maeya wrote:And then your head just aches from having your hair pulled so tight for so long...
Naethyn
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Re: Looking for another LCD TV

Postby Tikker » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:46 am

hdmi and dvi are the same video

hdmi = dvi + audio, so just grab a dvi to hdmi adapter and you're gtg

at 32" are you going to be using it as a monitor, or a tv?

if it's just for tv, get a 720p set since you're not going to be able to resolve the difference in resolution anyway

if it's for a monitor where you're sitting like 12-24 inches away, then grab a 1080p set
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Tossica » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:38 am

Naethyn wrote:I've been shopping around various sites.

I'm looking for a 26-32", 1080i/p (can fudge this one), 800-1000:1 contrast.

I've also noticed that every single LCD that has HDMI only has VGA hook ups and no DVI. Anyone have an idea of why?

If anyone knows of one linkages!

*Edit: Crap wrong forum...

I've been shopping around for a bedroom TV and haven't really found anything in the 26" range that seems like a bargain. On a screen that small, 1080p is not going to give you much of a noticable upgrade so you are safe with 720p if it'll save you some money.

VGA will pass a 1080p signal as well from an HD source so you shouldn't need an HDMI to DVI convertor. They can cost more money than a standard DVI/VGA convertor. If you need audio as well, you are stuck with HDMI but for video only, VGA should be ok.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Jay » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:42 pm

And its not just as simple as the biggest thing with 1080p. Depending on your budget, you might want to look into some sets with reduced motion blur. LCD's 1 weakness.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Return to Ask Tossica!