Hey Toss

Need answers? He's got 'em!

Moderator: Tossica

Hey Toss

Postby Ouchyfish » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:17 am

Can Obama beat McCain?

Never thought in a fucking million years I would vote for, support, and donate to a dem.

He's THAT fucking amazing! That and I'm getting too old to still be snowed by old ass rich republican hot air.
Lyion wrote:If Hillary wins Texas and Ohio, she'll win the nomination.

Tossica wrote:Seriously, there is NO WAY Sony is going to put HD-DVD out of the game.
Ouchyfish
NT Patron
NT Patron

Re: Hey Toss

Postby Gypsiyee » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:38 am

so I'm not Toss or anything, but I don't think McCain stands a chance, and it makes me ecstatic.

I love Paul, but I love Obama at least 95% as much the minor percentage being attributed to the economic side. I'm afraid with a democratic congress and democratic president our spending will be a bit more loose with some things which I'm not totally okay with, but you take the good with the bad with any candidate. I don't agree with Paul 100% either (abortion and gun control for example)

Either way, I think the republican party is screwed in this election - lots of the right don't support McCain, the left side certainly doesn't support him, so I'm not sure where that leaves him except with his final shot at presidency shattered.

I'm excited to see how it turns out; I don't think he has a snowball's chance, but you just never know. Didn't think Golden State had a snowballs chance against the Mavs last year either and what happened there!
"I think you may be confusing government running amok with government doing stuff you don't like. See, you're in the minority now. It's supposed to taste like a shit taco." - Jon Stewart
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Lyion » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:54 am

Obama has a good chance, but I think once the general rolls around and people look at his pork history, entitlement changes, and the fact he's mostly an empty suit with zero foreign policy experience, he'll get rolled.

Anyways, this is all premature. If Hillary wins Texas and Ohio, she'll win the nomination. A lot of independents and republicans will be voting for her in the primary.

Obama has been in the DNC race playing with kid gloves. Once the general comes around the real debates and differences pop up, I think he'll get creamed. The Tax & spend issue and the fear of the Dems in congress and what they did last time they had all three branches will cause a blowout, I bet.

The fact the DNC primary could drag for another few months, or even to the convention will make it very, very hard for a Dem to win in November. Especially if there's a split decision and the election comes down to the DNC insiders, as it very well might.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Jay » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:25 pm

I don't see Obama getting creamed at any debate. I'm sure he's been doing his homework on foreign policy as well. He's got too much charisma to be outdebated, which is actually a bad thing because when the hard questions come he will know how to dance around it and make it look like he answered it, but at the same time, I think he's smart enough to know what the best moves are to make for our country. His spending is all part of that.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Evermore » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:57 pm

If hildebeast wins the dem nomination. McCain is a shoe in. If Obama wins, no way McCain will.

FUck this I am voting for Kodos again
For you
Evermore
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Lyion » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:32 pm

Jay wrote:I don't see Obama getting creamed at any debate. I'm sure he's been doing his homework on foreign policy as well. He's got too much charisma to be outdebated, which is actually a bad thing because when the hard questions come he will know how to dance around it and make it look like he answered it, but at the same time, I think he's smart enough to know what the best moves are to make for our country. His spending is all part of that.

I agree and think he'll do quite well in debates. I think he'll probably beat Mccain in a majority of debates, since Obama is a very intelligent and articulate guy.

Kerry won a good chunk of the debates in 2004. He also had a lot stronger record and leadership quotient to draw upon. If you compare Mccain, a decorated War Hero, anti pork hero, and foreign affairs and defense strongman against Obama, who has no military experience, little foreign affairs experience, and really has a shallow record it'll be a tough sell to the independents. Obama's best bet is to hinge things on the economy and try to be a populist.

The Mccain advertisement people and GOP media will paint him as Hillary has done, as not being ready on day 1 in a world that requires it. It doesn't matter if it's fact or not, as common sense says no person is ready on day 1 to assume the US Presidency, it just matters what the perception. To his credit, each additional DNC debate has him gaining ground and looking more and more prepared. His Castro question in the debate yesterday was handled perfectly, unlike his Bomb Pakistan fiasco from an earlier one.

It'll be interesting, and one can never tell. Three months ago if one had said anyone but Hillary would win the nomination, I'd have thought they were crazy, as would many others. Likewise, Mccain was dead in the water in November, and has wrapped up the nomination early. Most thought the GOP race would take months and the DNC was over last year. It hasn't been boring!

For Obama, all it'll take is one Sister Souljah moment...
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Reynaldo » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:21 pm

I still say the dems are going to win this year based on nothing else other than proclaiming the repub canidate (whoever it is) is GWBush 2.0. The uninformed who hear that will vote dem just based on the hatred of GWB.
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Arlos » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:07 pm

Well, there's some pretty solid reasons for hating Bush, methinks. A vastly unpopular war we never needed to get into, the economy going into the shitter, torture, Abramoff scandal, etc. etc. etc. Most of his term he even had a Republican congress that was basically a rubber stamp for anything he wanted, as well. So, the voters have seen where a Republican president with a Republican Congress have gotten them since 2000 and don't like it. So, their desire to give ANOTHER Republican who was part of the establishment all along a chance is negligible at best.

Also, McCain I dont' think will run a negative campaign. He's promised not to, for what little that matters, but I think he might actually mean it, especially after what was done to him in Carolina in 2000. Besides, singling out anyone in congress for earmarks will get you nowhere, as it's been endemic. Hell, one of the worst at it has been a Republican Senator, Ted Stevens of Alaska, what with his 500 million for the bridge to nowhere, and he just had some other project in the hundreds of millions that people noticed as well. Then you have Congresspeople with military contractors in their districts getting funds for more planes than the air force wants, etc. So, I don't think that that's going to be a valid avenue of attack against Obama.

Even if the campaign does get negative, McCain has some serious vulnerabilities, not least his dishonest and misleading stroll through Baghdad last year, where he tried to play it off as "See! The place is safe now!" and it only came out afterward from other people that it was really a trip in the green zone, and he was surrounded by 150 troops. Again, I don't think it WILL be an extremely negative campaign, especially now that Karl Rove isn't involved, but if it does, neither side will exactly be immune.

I do hope Obama wins it. I think he'd do a great job, and would be in a position to do some good for this country and our international standing.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Jay » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:13 pm

I'm just happy that Huck doesn't have a prayer of winning. That dude is batshit insane.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby araby » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:54 pm

Arlos wrote:
I do hope Obama wins it. I think he'd do a great job, and would be in a position to do some good for this country and our international standing.

-Arlos

I am willing to bet it's in the bag for Obama. The rest I'll have to see to believe. That's just how I feel about it. He'll be watched like a hawk. There'll be a lot of negative shit to sort through...but we'll just have to wait and see how turns out. I truly hope for the best.
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Evermore » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:03 am

Jay wrote:I'm just happy that Huck doesn't have a prayer of winning. That dude is batshit insane.

QFT
For you
Evermore
NT Deity
NT Deity

Return to Ask Tossica!