GPS Navigation

Need answers? He's got 'em!

Moderator: Tossica

GPS Navigation

Postby Naethyn » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:46 pm

I want to get a GPS navigation system for my car. This is the starting point of my research for one. I don't need the top of the line model and I'd like to keep the price under 350. No service fees are a plus!

Any recommendations?
Maeya wrote:And then your head just aches from having your hair pulled so tight for so long...
Naethyn
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Re: GPS Navigation

Postby Jay » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:32 pm

I hate the actual GPS units but I hear Magellan makes a good one. The one I always hear about is Garmin though. Actually, you planning on buying a new car soonish? If so, might as well wait and get a package that has the built in navi.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Gaazy » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:44 pm

My brother bought one (go dknows why, he takes no trips, doesnt travel, or even work for that matter, just drives to school every day) and he bought a Magellan I believe, and its pretty snazzy. I borrowed it one day when I went to a big customers main corporate office in Pittsburgh, and it easily took me right to the parking lot. Was a lot easier to work than I thought it would be
Gaazy
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Griever » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:32 pm

My father got me a TomTom for Christmas and I really like it. Its dead on accurate with a pretty large screen. I believe it cost $300. The only downside to a gps system is that if you dont travel outside of what you know often it will sit in your glove compartment gathering dust.
Griever
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Maeya » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:51 am

Langston got a Telenav adapter and has GPS right on his cell phone. The Telenav adapter was around $100, though I'm not sure how much it is per month on his phone. His phone (BlackJack) has a large enough screen that maps are displayed right on there, and it does the turn by turn. The adapter is small - roughly the size of a deck of cards, but half the depth, and is easy to bring along on trips, and of course most people will carry their cell phone with them anyway. You just go online to the website and enter the address of the site you need directions to. You can store sites as your favorites so you can pull them up at any time. http://www.telenav.com

That might be an alternative for you if you're not a fan of the big clunky units. Probably cheaper too - though again, I'm not sure of the monthly cost on his cell phone bill, but he's reimbursed for it by work anyway.
Maeya
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Eldred » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:05 pm

I have a Garmin, (they are widley considered the best GPS system out there.) It is super accurate, it took me down dirt roads to save me approximately 10 miles out of the way. I got the Nuvee 200 it was $250 at Circuit City. My boss got one for our company car after I let him barrow it for the weekend. Very easy to use it has a quick reference for restraunts airports and other local things. Obviously I like it a lot, I'm very bad at directions.

It also worked great in Pittsburgh, the fucking shitty city of one way streets.
Eldred
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby Kramer » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:32 pm

i have had friends with 2-3 different low-end models ($150-200) a Mio and Tom-Tom, and found that they all essentially did the same thing, and did it consistently.

they had touch screens, with easily readable displays and told you where points of interest were

my friend had a feature where you could change the voice, he uses this hot bossy british female voice.... we are going to try and add some cursing to it's vocab
Mindia is seriously the greatest troll that has ever lived.
    Kramer
    NT Traveller
    NT Traveller

Postby leah » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:41 pm

i don't own one but on work trips i have used a garmin and a navman, either are great.
    lolz
    leah
    Preggers!
    Preggers!

Postby Martrae » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:44 pm

Kahar bought a Garmin since he travels a lot now. It's great. I think he paid $150 for it.

Make sure you get one you can plug it into your computer and get updated maps.
    Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
    Martrae
    Admin Abuse Squad
    Admin Abuse Squad

Return to Ask Tossica!