So, Tossica...

Need answers? He's got 'em!

Moderator: Tossica

So, Tossica...

Postby Arlos » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:37 pm

What would you say your lust level is for this?

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/01/16/ces. ... index.html

15 on a scale of 1-10? ;)

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Re: So, Tossica...

Postby Tossica » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:53 pm

I saw that. It's cool and all but wow, my $500 turntables do everything I need them to do. I've listend to $10K turntables before and they are amazing but it's a case of diminishing returns after a certain point.

If I had a $200K audio system and had another $65K to spend on it... maybe!

I do think it's cool that something like that makes national news though. Vinyl is here to stay!
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby vonkaar » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:26 pm

I raise you...

1. Goldmund’s Reference II

Price: US $300,000

This turntable is without doubt every music enthusiasts’ dream gadget but only the uber-rich will be able to buy it as the price tag reads a cool $300,000. There are only 25 on the planet. The Reference II turntable features a degree of refinement and a number of never-seen-before features. The turntable features a 20kg platter machined to a hundreth of a millimeter, a motor vibration-shielded by 15kg of brass, and teflon-insulated signal-carring electronics. Other specs include cog-free motor with lowest electrical and mechanical noise, liquid-nitrogen-rectified belt, touch controls integrated in the tabletop specially designed new Goldmund T8 straight-line tone arm with total weight of 7 kg. Limited editions of 25 units are sold on subscription with a maximum production of 5 units per year.

My favorite 'dream' turntable is this guy:

http://www.hifiplus.com/t-rev12-2.html
Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby Harrison » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:10 pm

Waste of money.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Drem » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:19 pm

i have a technics sl2000 and i don't feel the need to ever replace it
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Arlos » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:10 pm

I wouldn't call it a waste of money. After all, for the money you are getting arguably one of the finest turntables ever created, which will, given the appropriate audio setup, give significantly better sound than is possible from any sort of digital device.

Now, is it more than you or I could ever envision spending for that amount of audio improvement? THAT you may certainly be correct on. But waste, no, it's not a waste. A waste is going to Vegas and blowing 300k (or 65k) at the high roller baccarat table or something.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Harrison » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:18 pm

Nope, if you spend 300k on that you deserve to have your dick and balls cut off to prevent further contamination in the gene pool.
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Arlos » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:25 pm

All depends on your current financial situation. Obviously, only the truly truly uber rich could afford such an item easily. But hell, if you're a billionaire, 300k is pocket change.

So yeah, someone who makes 50k a year, or 100k a year buys one of those, idiocy. Warren Buffet wants to buy one, he wouldn't notice the cost any more than you or I do going to McDonalds.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Harrison » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:46 pm

I stand by my statement.

It isn't a matter of proportionate spending amounts. If you spend three hundred thousand dollars on something that frivolous, you don't deserve to live in my eyes. :dunno:
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Gaazy » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:07 am

I wish we could set up a counter of how many times Harrison has said something along the lines of "get out of the gene pool". I bet that counter would be maxxed by now.
Gaazy
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Gargamellow » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:08 pm

This guy I was dating wants to get some turntables. I actually bought him a collector's edition of his favorite vinyl.

Then we broke up a week before it got here.

So now it sits in the corner, taunting me.
Gargamellow
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Jay » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:52 pm

So you bought a guy something after dating him how long? I don't think Virra's been away that long really. Your story reeks of desperation, no offense.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Gargamellow » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:52 am

I saw him. He called me. We exchanged our stuff back.

By the way, he LOVED his present.

Also, Jay, I broke it off with Virra in October of '07. I just let him live here. I was dating the other guy for 7 months and we split up three weeks ago. Now he came over today out of the blue. I think he wants to have some sexing but fuck that.

Anyway, desperate? Not me, mister!!!!!!!!!! I have my pick.
Gargamellow
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Evermore » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:57 am

this is not so expensive but i bet you cant lift it

[url]
http://www.gearlive.com/index.php/news/ ... -06071408/
[/url]
For you
Evermore
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Tossica » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:20 am

Wow.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Tossica » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:25 am

I'm buying one of these to set up a "nice" stereo upstairs that's built for sound quality instead of ruggedness and volume like my DJ setup downstairs. It's a Sumiko Pro-Ject RM4.

My co-worker is a crazy audiophile dude and he's selling it to me for cheap! I'm going to hook it up to a nice NAD 3125 I picked up last weekend as a "tip" for a birthday party I DJ'd.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Drem » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:25 am

wow nice tip

and nice deck
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tossica » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:44 am

vonkaar wrote:My favorite 'dream' turntable is this guy:

http://www.hifiplus.com/t-rev12-2.html

What do those go for used?
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby vonkaar » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:26 pm

never seen one used =/. I look every now and then on ebay and CL but... nothing.

I think they are like, $1100 new ($1500 msrp)... so maybe half that if you get lucky.
Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby Tossica » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:27 pm

I'm getting the RM4 for $250 with a Grado Gold Precision cart included.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby vonkaar » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:56 pm

Tossica wrote: a Grado Gold Precision cart included.

ooooooh

and, kick ass... that's an amazing deal.

You should see these shelves that my dad is getting rid of. They are straight out of the radio station he DJ'd at in the 60s. Heavy duty units... vinyl libraries. 4 rows high and a capacity of 5k albums (average) per shelf. They moved into a smaller house so he has had to SERIOUSLY downgrade his collection... was only allowed to take one shelf with him. He'll probably give the rest away on craigslist. Empty, they easily outweigh his piano. Such a shame... any record collector would love to own one.
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby Tossica » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:36 pm

Grado Gold Prestige... not precision, you know what I meant!

Wow, I wish it wasn't 2000 miles away! I'd love to get some nice shelves. I have mine on IKEA shelves and they work fine. How many records does your old man have???
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby vonkaar » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:02 pm

I *think* he's cutting it down to a few thousand... like, one shelf full. But he has a *lot* of duplicates and some REALLY shitty stuff. He's a nutcase and grabs anything that interests him. They are still in the process of moving (to their future "retirement" house in 'teh country'), so I grab some good crap as I see it. It's *mostly* in great condition... I got a Neil Diamond album from the 60s that looked brand new. But for every 'good' album, he has 2 that are like... "Leonard Nimoy Sings the Blues" or, "The Harkinston's Polka Party, 1980s - live from the future!" Very :ugh: .

I'm going over there tomorrow to help again, I'll take pictures of the shelves... it's a total shame, these are freaking awesome. I'd take one, but I have no where near enough records to justify that, and... no room in my house is big enough to hold it. All of this was in a converted garage (a/c, insulation, etc)... which we think seriously contributed to the foundation problems that house has. He thinks he had somewhere around 16-17k records at his height, though now it's probably less than 10... which he's cutting down significantly.
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby Tossica » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:14 pm

Wow! I think I am at around 6K right now. Totally unmanageable amount for me, I am drowning in records and can't find the time to get them organized. My buddy in Miami now has 200K or so... yep, two hundred thousand records about 95% of which are 12" singles. I can't even imagine... He's acquired several entire collections from very influential NYC and Chicago DJ's over the years and has a warehouse space he rents just to hold his vinyl.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby vonkaar » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:55 am

200k... I can't imagine what that must cost to maintain. That's freaking incredible.

I think I might have had 6-700 at my peak. I eventually became tired of moving them around, so I sold alot of them. I think I have less than 300 now (including the 30 I just snagged from my dad). Not enough space... blahblah... excuses.

Here is one of the shelves... crappy camera-phone picture:

/mourn
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Next

Return to Ask Tossica!