brinstar's dark souls idiot journey

Non WOW & EQ gaming discussions

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Re: brinstar's dark souls idiot journey

Postby brinstar » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:22 am

word thanks, will farm those fuckers up. any strategy for avoiding swamp poisoning? i have the rusted iron ring so i don't have to slog, but is there a poison resist set or something

steamlink is on sale right now, thinking of grabbing one just so i can play on the 50" again as running HDMI cable through the house is not an option

i have read they don't work super great over wifi (running ethernet also not an option) though i think that's more the case for newer more graphics-intense games like gta5 etc - but then again i'm not entirely sure i'd want to play those with a controller anyway so it might be moot
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Jay » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:51 am

brinstar wrote:word thanks, will farm those fuckers up. any strategy for avoiding swamp poisoning? i have the rusted iron ring so i don't have to slog, but is there a poison resist set or something

steamlink is on sale right now, thinking of grabbing one just so i can play on the 50" again as running HDMI cable through the house is not an option

i have read they don't work super great over wifi (running ethernet also not an option) though i think that's more the case for newer more graphics-intense games like gta5 etc - but then again i'm not entirely sure i'd want to play those with a controller anyway so it might be moot

Mine works fine over wifi. It's the input lag that's kind of an issue for me. Not that big a deal with RPG's but if you need any precision it will require you to adjust to the delay.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Zanchief » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:59 am

Ignore the poison. You'll get it no matter what. The ring will help you avoid it for a while by running to areas where you won't be poisoned, but eventually, you're going to get it.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Drem » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:13 pm

Note on farming (sorry if you already know all this): Make sure you have 10 humanity and the covetous serpent ring to maximize your drop rate. Your item find should be maxed at that point. Each time Green Titanite drops from the worms you get 5 of them and Frampt can turn those 5 shards into 25 regular titanite shards. the only other thing they drop is the large shards. Great spot to farm your titanite. And of course the rats by the Depths bonfire are the best spot to stock up on humanity

Every time you start another playthrough it makes me wanna get back into it. Bastard
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:04 pm

yo where i get dat ring
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Drem » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:13 am

iirc it was in the Depths, down low in the area with all the basilisks. You can get there from the level above and drop down pretty close to it i think? Been a long time. Google will tell you, obv. But long story short you should have it by now if you're in blightown
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Zanchief » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:01 am

It's in Sens Fortress so he won't get it for a bit.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Drem » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:17 pm

Oh yeah, whoops, I'm thinking of that evil eye ring that heals you when you kill things
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:02 am

finally got down to the bottom (from depths side - no master key here) and scooped up all the loot. swapped gear around a lot for poison resistance and swamp mobility. got invaded by NPC, whacked her easily. summoned NPC for help with spiderboss, which really made it trivial. went and talked to spidersister, joined chaos covenant. snuck into demon ruins long enough to cheese ceaseless discharge (lol). went down the hill onto the cooled lava plain. "is that... uhh crap that's a capra demon coming at me... wait he's harder than he was... shit ok that was close. huh weird look at all those taurus demon statues over therTHOSE ARE NOT STATUES [corpse retrieval]"

got tf out of there and climbed up the drake side of blighttown, made sure to grab the fire keeper's soul on the way. popped out into drakeland, cross the bridge, used the key, rode up the elevator. upgraded to +2 estus flask then camped out at firelink. nice to be done with BT. onward to... sen's?
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby brinstar » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:44 pm

SURE AM TIRED OF THESE FUCKIN CATS
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby brinstar » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:12 pm

realized that if you take a wide berth, only one cat will attack at first. finally killed that one, but died to the second one. thrilled to find out they do not respawn. killed the second one after a couple tries, couldn't find the third.

defeated sif on third try. ran back to give divine ember to andre but he didn't want it???

walked into sen's. fought a couple lizards (temple of cazic-thule, anyone?) but then looked at the time and ran back to bonfire.
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Drem » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:14 pm

Embers each go to a specific blacksmith iirc

Sen's Funhouse is great. I love reading these, please finish this time
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Zanchief » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:29 pm

For Estus upgrades (Firekeeper Thingies), if you want another one that's easy to get. Go to New Londo Ruins and there's one just around the corner from the first ghosts along a watery column, behind an illusionary wall. You might die getting it if you don't want to use a transient curse, but it's easy to get so you can upgrade to +3.

Sens was a real bitch with my no shields no range build. Fun level though.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby brinstar » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:09 pm

brinstar wrote:SURE AM TIRED OF THESE FUCKIN CATS

re-read this just now and lol'd heartily

gonna be out of town on tour this weekend so probably won't have any updates until next week (unless i get some time tomorrow)
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Reynaldo » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:21 am

DS1 remastered coming for PS4. May have to finally check it out.
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Drem » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:39 am

it was definitely my favorite out of all of them. maybe the worst gameplay because they definitely refined that later on, but it had the best atmosphere and the best map layout and lore i thought. have fun!
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:51 pm

never went back into sen's. will start over again next month, remastered coming to Switch too! wooooooooo
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Reynaldo » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:12 pm

I'm up to the point of the hollow swarm at the top of the parish, but leveling up some farming baldur knights.

Trying my best to play through without watching any walkthrough videos and such, but only really want to play the game once so when I think I've finished an area I go watch a walkthrough of it to backtrack to anything i missed.

Getting a few spoilers that way but not too bad.
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Reynaldo » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:26 am

My main complaint with this game is how damn dark it is. I feel like it's a bit of a cop out to make areas "harder" by only allowing you to see 5 feet in front of you.

I'm in the depths right now and it's just a garbage mechanic.

Other than that, I'm loving it so far.
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby brinstar » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:38 pm

i finally started playing AGAIN on switch and i definitely agree about the darkness mechanic - i cranked the brightness but even then some of it is artificially too dark. jank.

have a good feeling about this attempt, it's nice to finally play it on a console with a wireless controller and not have to worry about my cat bumping the plug and glitching the controller and also not have to constantly worry about a stupid CTD (my desktop has gremlins)

just finished depths and got all the way to the bonfire at the bottom of blighttown without eating it once. been pretty good about rolling with 10+ humanity at all times. i've died a few times but i am on a great streak of successful corpse retrievals. playing a knight type again, got full balder armor and an uchigatana +3. havel's ring + HP leech ring.
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Reynaldo » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:26 am

I'm starting blighttown now too. I've probably farmed more than I should have but have a Ugi +9. Level 49 i think. Using Havel's ring as well.

I've been loosely following fighting cowboys walkthroughs but try to only watch an area after I've already trialed and error'd it. One shotted Moonlight Butterfly and Hydra.

Died in Blighttown a few times so far basically dodging my way off the walkways, but sticking with it!
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Reynaldo » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:25 pm

Well i made it to the bottom of blighttown and am now farming slugs for large titanite.

I had my first bitch-out disconnect as well. I had pumped humanity up to 10 to farm and like immediately get invaded. Not really knowing if you lose all that humanity when you die, I immediately was like aw hell haw, and dumped the connection.

Got back online today and my dude was exactly where i left him, humanity intact and I felt a little bad for a second or two but was pleased I didn't lose anything. So when starting up, just logged out of online and did my farming in peace.

Probably do 2 or 3 more levels before attempting queelag.
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Reynaldo » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:50 am

Beat Queleeg and now moved to the darkroot forest past the crest or artorias. Finally beat my first invader there too!

Are the boss souls worth keeping or should you just eat them?
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby brinstar » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:56 pm

of course i resurrect this thread and then don't play for two weeks lol

anyway i think i remember reading somewhere that the boss souls can be used to make special unique weapons somehow? idk i remember shitting the bed on my first playthrough by eating the firekeeper's soul from the chapel rather than turning it in to get +1 juicebox, so i have never eaten a non-generic soul since
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Reynaldo » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:41 pm

I beat Sif and am currently slogging my way through Sen's

The warrior guy at firelink is gone as is my sorcerer vendor there, and the big snake guy popped out of the water but at least he's friendly and converts green titanite to regular for upgrading my stuffs.

Died two times in Sen's so far and lost 10 humanity but whatevs...
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Other Worlds