I just got...(Home theater setup question)

Ask the few things google does not know

Moderator: Dictators in Training

I just got...(Home theater setup question)

Postby Jay » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:43 pm

...a free Denon AVR 3802 and a free set of Klipsch speakers. Any good?

Only drawback I've seen so far is that there's no HDMI in the receiver but that really isn't a huge deal if I run optical sound and just turn the volume down on the TV. Hopefully ps3 will allow me to do sound via the HDMI port and the optical port at the same time.

Question I had is that in the back there's only 1 plug in for the sub and the Klipsch sub has a red and white line in. Do I have to get one of those Y cables to get that setup properly? The sub doesn't seem to be hitting properly since I can only plug one of the line ins at a time.
Jay

Postby Reynaldo » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:56 pm

The red/white are stereo (equal sound to both) input and your sub only cares about the low frequency so it doesn't matter that it's only plugged into one. For instance I have a B&W sub that I have the single cable plugged into the white input and it sounds great. Make sure your sub isn't trying to get itself too high, I think 80hz and below is a good cutoff?

Things I would check are the default audio setting on the reciever. If it does something gay like pro logic, it really gimps your sound to the sub from my experience. I've had the best luck with sound set to "Theater" for listening to the radio and CDs, but make sure you have it set to the digital (in your case optical) sound coming from a DVD player or game console input. Most AVRs nowadays will auto detect which kind of digital is coming in, ala DTS or 5.1 Dolby, so your sub should make it's presence known then.

I have a Klipsch 2.1 set up for my PC and it's rediculously good for the price. I think you'll be happy with those if the home theater ones parallel the PC ones.
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Jay » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:02 pm

I have it on 40 and it goes up to 120. I'll play around with the settings a bit. The sound I was testing was from the tuner but from what I understand it's not really gonna hit hard from the tuner anyways. I'll try putting my Mr. Oizo CD into my ps2 tonight to test the sub.
Jay

Re: I just got...(Home theater setup question)

Postby Tikker » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:33 pm

Jay wrote: Hopefully ps3 will allow me to do sound via the HDMI port and the optical port at the same time.

what are you talking about?

why would you want to do that?

do HDMI to the tv, then just spdif from the TV to the receiver
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Jay » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:34 pm

Yeah I could do that

Sorry you know I'm still new to the whole TV deal.
Jay

Postby Jay » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:49 am

no Spdif from the TV to the receiver however I can do HDMI to the TV and do SPDIF from the ps3 to the receiver (I found out on ps3 you can change sound modes).
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Return to Tech Support