Vista Install Woes

Ask the few things google does not know

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Vista Install Woes

Postby Lyion » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:35 am

Ok, I have a copy of Ultimate Vista from work, and decided to give it a shot on my secondary pooter.

The pooter has:

AMD 3500+ CPU
X1950 Pro 512 Meg Card
3 Gigs of DDR Ram
Raptor 70 Gig Primary HDD <-- XP Installed here
WD 250 Gig Secondary HDD <- Vista Installed here
Audigy 2 Sound card.

Now, it installs ok, albeit in ugly VGA mode, but when I try and reboot, it just hangs at a black screen after the MS Splash screen.

I can boot into safe mode, but anytime I try and boot normally, it just hangs.

Google, MS, MSDN are all proving fairly worthless.

Anyone have any ideas?
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tossica » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:38 am

have it boot in verbose mode (put a /s at the end of the boot entry in boot.ini) and it will give you some idea of what driver it's hanging on. I'm guessing video card.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Lyion » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:01 am

I cleared my CMOS, moved the install from my second disk to my first, and removed my TV Card and it appears to be working properly now.

What a clusterfuck for an install. It makes Linux look like childs play.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby ClakarEQ » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:53 pm

not really vista related but if you've not seen some of the server side changes to Exchange, MS is really pushing folks away from their own products.

Over the next couple of years I'm going to be some resources into how SUSE could really function in a mobile user environment with the end objective being no MS product installed locally.

In a nutshell Exhange server CAL's jumped by roughly $100.00 per seat, if you plan to move to '07. Of course this depends on a ton of other variables but that is the cliff notes of it.
ClakarEQ
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Tossica » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:29 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by the Exchange CAL's comment. The CAL's are the same price. The CAL's no longer come with a copy of Outlook which is kinda lame. The fact that Exchange 07 only runs on 64bit platform might cause some problems as well but I'm not seeing any major issues with all of this.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Re: Vista Install Woes

Postby Harrison » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:20 pm

lyion wrote:Ok, I have a copy of Ultimate Vista from work, and decided to give it a shot on my secondary pooter.

That was your first mistake.

Second mistake was actually doing it.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Re: Vista Install Woes

Postby kaharthemad » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:38 am

Harrison wrote:
lyion wrote:Ok, I have a copy of Ultimate Vista from work, and decided to give it a shot on my secondary pooter.

That was your first mistake.

Second mistake was actually doing it.

QFT
kaharthemad
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Lyion » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:51 am

First, I love playing with Operating Systems. I've installed everything from BeOS to every flavor of Linux to Solaris x86<now that was really bad>.

There were a few hiccups but I have Vista up and running and I must say I'm pretty impressed with it. I'm an MS basher, but realize they own the desktop world for the foreseeable future, and I'm glad they've borrowed so liberally from those who design better desktop UIs than they do.

I don't think Vista Ultimate is worth the cash, or Vista itself to be honest. There just isn't enough there to justify spending more cash on it.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Harrison » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:02 pm

It's flashy, and it's visually impressive with some cool gimmicks.

I won't touch it until I am FORCED to for DX10 games. (I am still RIPSHIT they did that detestable marketing prickery and made DX10 vista only)
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Lyion » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:19 pm

The Voice recognition stuff is the best part of it. I've managed to do everything I normally do on my pooter without any typing, except using gAIM which Voice Recogniation does not seem to like.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tossica » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:32 pm

For someone like Finawin who just uses his computer to steal music and games, it probably does not serve much purpose. For productive members of society, it's got some really nice features.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Lyion » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:40 pm

The things that differentiate it from XP are not things that most people who aren't technical care about. Yet. I think in a few years, though, that'll change.

I personally like Vista more, and it has more of an SGI feel, which I think is good.

I don't like the 100 different versions of it, and the fact it's so damn expensive to upgrade to.

The funny is for a gamer, you really need to dual boot to XP, as it runs soooo much faster and more stable than Vista right now. If you want to cry, try and run Vanguard on Vista on an older computer.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Lueyen » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:21 am

Work gave me a partnership program activation code to load it at home and play with it. It seems memory intensive but other then that I didn't really run into any issues playing with it... of course I'm not using it full time either.
Raymond S. Kraft wrote:The history of the world is the history of civilizational clashes, cultural clashes. All wars are about ideas, ideas about what society and civilization should be like, and the most determined always win.

Those who are willing to be the most ruthless always win. The pacifists always lose, because the anti-pacifists kill them.
Lueyen
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Return to Tech Support